Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

WooHoo! Grand Duke of Tuscany

mehitabel
13 years ago

I ordered a one-gallon Jasmine sambac Grand Duke from Almost Eden for a gift. It came today. Wow! A beautiful plant, 4ft high, pinkie-thick stem with several branches and a couple of flowers. Terrific! Proud giving, for sure.

If you are looking to buy a larger Grand Duke for a little more money, this is the one!

Comments (8)

• kemistry
    13 years ago

how much does that cost you, including shipping? Wow 4ft for a 1 gal plant is a great purchase! :)

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kem, the plant itself was $29.99, shipping for two one-gal and one 4" plant was $11.85.

It's a beaut!

• kemistry
    13 years ago

I didn't expect the shipping charge to be that low, thanks for the info Mehitabel! : )

• GrnThum
    13 years ago

Wow, sounds great! I actually ordered a small one from almost Eden about 2 months ago and it is currently growing. Could you post pics if possible?

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I ordered 3 of duke and the description said in 4 inch pot I thought I am gong to need a magnifier to see them. They arrived today. Wow beautiful plants very green and very healthy. I never expected to 2 feet plant for 14.99. The way they shipped them indicates that Almost Eden are true professionals. I ordered plants from other nurseries and I can write a book about my disappointments.
    Question to the people who know is Duke of Tuscany one season plant or it goes dormant and comes back next year.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FP, I don't think the Grand Duke is cold hardy in the ground in your zone. In a pot, it lives on from year to year. Bring it inside when temps go below 40.

They don't thrive indoors in winter here but go whoosh! with beauty when outside in the warm nights. We have very hard water, and by spring mine are in need of a greenup from iron and epsom salts. They are susceptible to mites indoors. It helps to cut them back some and remove some of the older leaves when you bring them in. Don't overwater in winter.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Iknow we have a cruel winter. All my warm weather loving trees like Figs, Jasmin even Banana (I don't know how successful I will grow banana in my weather) All are planted in pots with potting soil of a mix of perlite, Humus and garden soil. I make several holes in the side of the pots and block the bottom drainage then I plant the pots to about half or two thirds in the Garden. Roots amazingly find its way from the holes to the garden soil. Comes the winter I dig the pots out and take them inside the garage and the basement with temperature 50-60. I am very happy and successful growing Figs and rose Jasmin that way. In season I eat lots of sweet delicious Figs. I grow the Figs and the rose Jasmin that way. I never grew Duke of Tuscany. This is first time. I will grow it that way and I hope it works. As for Banana I think it is a very long shot. By the way I block the button drainage of the pots because if I allow the roots to go through it I will need Popeye muscles to pull the pots out in winter.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FP, I don't see why you should have any trouble with your Grand Duke. I remember reading articles in the past about how slow the GD grows, etc etc. This has not been true of the ones I bought last summer. Those have been extremely vigorous, and put out long strong shoots.

So if you are wintering other plants indoors, I don't see a problem for you.