Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Trachelospermum asiaticum from Logee's

This is my second year for my Trachelospermum asiaticum 'Mandanianum' that I got from Logee's last year. It's really starting to put on a show. The flowers smell awesome (don't ask me to describe the scent...I'm terrible at such things. I will say sorta candy like?). Everyone who has sniffed it is impressed (plus visually the plant is gorgeous). Yes it's a large chunk of real estate for a sunny south window in the winter but so far I think it's worth it. I had to keep winding the vines around and around during the winter (it kept growing) but currently it's putting all its energy into flower production. Yay!

-Robert

Comments (16)

• fenius
    12 years ago

UUU! This really looks beautiful! I got one last month from a UK nursery by mail and it's only about 20cm.. Was yours so small last year? Can I expect mine to bloom at all this summer?

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! Yes. Mine was tiny when I first got it. I just let it flop and do whatever it wanted. It wasn't until I got a hoop and trained it around it that the plant really started to take off. Plus I was over watering and fertilizing it. Logee's has great cultural details on their site.

Good luck! I think you won't be disappointed. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Trachelospermum cultural tips

• kemistry
    12 years ago

I love all the greenery in that pic and of course the Trachelospermum asiaticum is gorgeous! :O)

Is the scent similar to Trachelospermum jasminoides? My local nursery has a huge T jasminoides bush in its greenhouse and when that bush bloomed.. the fragrance was incredible.

• olympia_gardener
    12 years ago

I have both blooming right now. According to my nose, the Trachelospermum jasminoides is more crispy with hint of citrus tone and the Trachelospermum asiaticum little mild sweet tone. Both fragrant are sweet and pleasant. I love them both. My Trachelospermum jasminoides is less viney, it has strong/thick stems.It has so many flowers blooming this time of the year and fill the room with wonderful aroma. It continues flower through out the summer after short break. Very easy to take care of them.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Kemistry,

You just had to ask me about the scent, didn't ya! ;)
    You know you're the expert here and my comparisons pale compared to yours.

It just so happened that I came across a T. jasminoides with some blooms today at Home Depot and to my nose they smell nothing alike. In fact I don't find T. jasminoides' scent pleasant. Sure I'll sniff it but it doesn't make me swoon. My partner said that T. asiaticum reminds him of SweeTarts (candy like fragrance).
    You're just gonna have to find one and sniff for yourself. ;)

-Robert

• kemistry
    12 years ago

Hm that is interesting. I believe Jimshy in his old post --if I remember correctly-- said that T. asiaticum smells better than T. jasminoides.. he's the expert one ;)

I agree that T jasminoides doesn't smell that nice if you sniff the flowers up close. But its wafting fragrance on a hot summer day is delicious. :)

I'll definitely add T asiaticum to my wishlist for the future.

• olympia_gardener
    12 years ago

personally, I like the smell of T jasminoides. it smells more pure. T. asiaticum smells like honey mixed with T jasminoides' scent, has more sophisticated scent. They both have very pleasant scent.

• friedabyler
    12 years ago

Interesting; I planted some Trachelospermum asiaticum in southwest facing window boxes last fall. This winter they sort of "slept", but stayed nice and green. I've been noticing a lot of new growth this spring. Wonder whether they'll bloom for me this summer? [If not, I'll switch the boxes out and wait until next year.] I was sort of on a whim; I suddenly thought that the sight and scent of jasmine flowers spilling from window boxes overlooking the back patio would be lovely. I do hope they'll be happy there; any ideas for speeding up the growth?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi posyplanter,

The variety offered from Logee's that I'm growing is a more free flowering form and is supposed to bloom longer.
    I too have the regular type of Trachelospermum asiaticum that I picked up from Home Depot last year growing in my beds as a groundcover. Thanks to the mild winter we had it's still alive and growing well but hasn't flowered yet either. I have read that you shouldn't shear them or give them too much nitrogen if you want blooms.
    Good luck!

-Robert

• friedabyler
    12 years ago

Hmmm, this thread has got my wheels turning......How would this plant do on a northeast facing trellis with a few hours of morning sun? Would I be expecting too much?

Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm a newbie but I have read they love to climb things so a trellis sounds ideal. Don't know if that would be enough sun or not to induce flowering. Maybe some more experienced gardeners can weigh in.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Jasmine link

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    12 years ago

I've always shyed away from T. asiaticum because it's often mentioned to not want to flower. Thanks Robert for mentioning this variety is more floriferous, it will go on my list of possible purchases (I really shouldn't because I have no more room lol).

• olympia_gardener
    12 years ago

musaboru, no more room? you just join the club!

• kemistry
    7 years ago

It's been 3 years already? And I still haven't got this plant. Lol. Time to get it? Robert, how is it this year? Is the scent worth it?

Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I got rid of it a couple of years ago at least.

No. I personally didn't find the scent worth all the trouble of growing in a pot year round and got rid of it though I did love the yellow flowers. Laugh.