Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finiky Trachelospermum asiaticum ??

Posted by olympia_gardener 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 14:25

My blooming trachelospermum asiaticum is dying. Leaves all dry, flower buds are dry, lost life. All I did was repotted it to a large pot. Its cousin,trachelospermum jasminoides, on the other hand, is impossible to kill.. It grows and blooms, inside, outside, in warm temp, in cold temp. in dry, in wet condition, stick a cutting into any soil, it grow into a decent plant...

I love its fragant. But did not know it is kinda high maintenece. What do I need to do to make it happy??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finiky Trachelospermum asiaticum ??

Hi Olympia,

I'm very sorry to hear about your T. asiaticum. Of course I'm going to say never mess with a blooming plant. ;)
I don't think your plant is going to die. Whenever I've repotted mine it drops leaves and buds/flowers. Apparently they don't like to have their roots disturbed but mine has always bounced back so be patient and of course 'baby' it by keeping it out of strong sunlight and making sure the soil is moist but not too moist. You know what I mean. :)

Good luck!

Robert

o

Robert, Thanks for the encouraging word. I will give it more time and won't toss it out yet.

o

Please do! I remember when I first got my tiny one from Logee's and repotted it down came the blossoms and leaves. I was distraught but it settled in and started growing again. Later when the ceramic pot it was growing in got smashed and I had to repot it the same thing happened again. Now it's blooming its head off and I'm hoping to not have to touch its sensitive roots for a while. :)

-Robert

o

Robert, Thanks for sharing you experience of growing this plant. Maybe, I should give it a larger pot to grow in for the rest of its life if it does not want its root to be disturbered. Right now, its leaves look like potato chips, all dryed and wrinkled, no sign of life remains.
The another plant I know that resents the root disturbance is Daphane. I love its scent too.

o

You're welcome! I would leave it be until it shows signs of life and not repot until absolutely necessary.

-Robert

o

So......that must be what happened to mine, when I transplanted the little plants into my windowboxes last fall. They just kinda sat there and sulked, dropped some of their leaves. I didn't see any new growth, although we had mild, sunny, and beautiful fall weather till at least Dec., and they're on the south side of the house. I thought I had surely done something wrong, and watered them like crazy.
Lo and behold, come spring, they sort of woke up, and although they're not blooming yet, they have probably tripled in size! [Yes, I do baby them.]
I learn something new every time I'm on this forum; thanks for the info.!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here