Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very old lilac

Posted by rudymegan (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 14:58

Hello,
I have a very old lilac in my front yard and I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to help it stay as healthy as possible. The house is 100 years old and this lilac is more like a tree then a bush.

I had noticed it would wiggle when I pushed (not hard) on it. upon further investigation I found that the trunk has been hollowed out and now there are a number of "pill bugs" running around down there. there are also round holes in the trunk made by some kind of bug...

The bush/tree seems happy enough, healthy leaves, blooms and sends up sappers (which I cilp off). I've been giving it ground up eggshells.

Anything else it might want to stay strong? It is a lovely member of my yard and I want to make sure it's getting everything it might need.

Thanks! - Rudy

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very old lilac

You should probably leave the suckers (what you call sappers) and let them get big enough and cut away the old and diseased trunk.

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 19:03

What minnamouse said -- if you don't let any new suckers come up, then when the main trunk rots out or splits, as it will eventually, then your beautiful old tree is gone! If you let some new growth sprout up, it will continue after the main trunk is history.

o

I forgot to mention that if you like the tree look so much, after a while, you can start grooming the suckers so you establish a main trunk. I mean do this after you get rid of the old trunk and the bush proves itself able to survive the infection/infestation it has.

o

I have dug some suckers up and potted them to move and plant in a different part of the yard. I know the trunk will die out eventually, I just wanted to keep it around as long as possible. I don't want to cut the old trunk away, that would be killing the plant. If I keep the suckers trimmed back it will keep the main plant stronger yes? If and when the tree dies I don't mind if there not a lilac bush there, I'm hoping to create a few new ones around the yard in the mean time. I'm not that attached to the tree shape this old boy just happens to have been grown that way.

Thanks for all your input and advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here