Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost Proof Gardenia

Posted by farmer55 7B (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 15:17

I have 2 frost proof gardenia's that are in their third spring. The first year they grew a little with no flowers. Figured it was just settling in. The second year they grew to about 3' in height with some flowers. This year I thought would be the year of "loads of flowers" but I see no buds and the leaves are a golden-brown. When I did a little research I found out that these plants are considered [evergreens] Brown leaves I shouldn't have... The roots are firm and the plants are alive with a couple of hard to spot green leaves. Any Ideas on what is going on.
I have attached a photo hopefully it is good enough to see a true representation of the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost Proof Gardenia

This looks dead to me. However, your photo is out of focus. Can you upload a better photo, and maybe a 2nd one with the close up of the green leaves?

o

thanks for showing interest in my question. Here is a better picture I hope.
We did a bark scrape to check for green branch and it was good.

o

it looks like to me they got bitten pretty hard by either frost or sun burn..It happens a lot to our evergreens too..

Hopefully those leaves will fall off to be replaced by fresh green ones..:-)

Mike

o

Hi farmer. Thanks for posting the picture. I'd go with Mike's recommendation. If the stems are green, then plant is alive. Here is a link and another below, where you need to scroll to "Care after damage".

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaves turned brown

o

Thanks for the info and tips. Gives me hope that all will be well.
I see that you enjoy container gardening Mike. I have several square foot garden spaces as well as quite a few home made "earth boxes" After buying a few earth boxes and seeing how they were made I figured I's try my hand at making my own and they have worked out very well. I made them with a significantly larger water reservoir which makes life easier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here