Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Scentsation Honeysuckle

I just picked up a 4ft tall Lonicera periclymenum 'Scentsation' yellow honeysuckle at Westlake (Ace Hardware) in Tulsa for $15. Woo hoo! I planted it next to the trellis where my 'Serotina' (same species, different variety and a much smaller specimen) is growing. The scent is good but not extremely fragrant...yet. I'm giving it time to settle in before I judge but for that price for such a large specimen I'm not complaining. ;)

I love it when you go plant shopping expecting to never find anything remotely interesting and you score a fragrant plant locally that you didn't have to order online.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Scentsation Honeysuckle

Comments (20)

• friedabyler
    12 years ago

Wow, sounds like you hit the jackpot! I've been trying to find something like that for a while. Most online varieties are sold out, and I haven't found anything even close to that size! We've got wild [Japanese] Honeysuckle growing here and there; a pesky weed, actually, but I love the scent so much, I've been looking for a better behaved variety to plant close to our patio, perhaps to grow over an archway or something. Wonder whether other Ace hardware stores have them?
    I'm gonna call around!!!
    In the meantime, Congrats!!!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you!
    Yea the last time I went to Ace they didn't have the honeysuckles so it pays to keep coming back I suppose. ;)
    The tag is from 'Bloomtastic! Fantastic blooms...every time.'
    I also have a 'Goldflame' honeysuckle in full bloom right now. It didn't smell that strong last night but for whatever reasons it smelled incredible this morning.
    Japanese honeysuckle does smell awesome (I once smelled one that smelled just like a gardenia) but as you said it's way too invasive and quite the weed in my neck of the woods.

-Robert

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    12 years ago

Congratulations on an amazing plant find, Robert! :-)

If only they would develop a honeysuckle with the scent of Lonicera japonica that is not such an invasive thug...

• true_blue
    8 years ago

Robert, how would you evaluate your lonicera after 3 years.

Is it true that it is "always" in flower?

Is it powerfully fragrant or is in the "meh" category ;-)

Thanks....

Original Author
    8 years ago

I think I have 3 varieties of L. periclymenum now. None are constantly in bloom though if you deadhead it definitely helps flower production.

As for scent in Oklahoma I pretty much have to stick my nose into the blooms of all varieties to enjoy the fragrance though if I remember correctly it did lightly waft once. I'll try to give a scent strength report in spring. :)

• true_blue
    8 years ago

Thanks for the detailed report. I'm looking for your spring report then!

Am I correct to assume, that "wafting" is rare in Oklahoma due to the low/absence of humidity?!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Oklahoma's weather is highly variable. Yesterday we were in the 80's and today 60's. Wafting is not rare. Chloranthus spicatus and Sarcococca confusa have been wafting lately. I think Scentsation would smell stronger in cooler, more mild weather. It will probably be in the 80's when they bloom. Who knows what the humidity will be at that point. I'll try to objective when I sniff all 3 and see if I can tell a difference in scent strength.

• true_blue
    8 years ago

Thanks Robert.

80s and 60s! Then it must be spring there! We've got a long way to go....

• Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
    8 years ago

Looking forward to your official spring report Robert. I'm thinking of adding one:)

• jasminegal
    7 years ago

Hi Robert I just got a scentsation in a gallon pot. Does it bloom the first year? Do you prune it every year and how much? Does it really bloom in spring and summer. I was thinking to trail it on deck stairs. And how's the fragrance. Is it good. Thanks!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Yay! I'm very curious as to how it does in your climate. Seems none of my Lonicera periclymenum cultivars bloom for a long time for me here in Oklahoma. I get the initial spring bloom with some sporadic blooms later in the summer. It should bloom for you this year. The scent is good on Scentsation. Please let us know your thoughts when yours blooms. As for pruning I only tip pruned the vines to cut off the developing fruits. The vines did produce more blooms that way but it was a lot of work (I only pruned one year).

• jasminegal
    7 years ago

Thanks Robert! I will definitely post when mine blooms :) I am always scared of pruning but since I want more blooms I might do it. Zeroed in on Scentsation because of its blooming properties till late summer. Want more of those hummingbirds in the yard! Got a miss molly buddleia bush, hydrangea incrediball and diamond ball clematis too. The quality of the plants from proven winners really impressed me. The 1st one is Scentsation in a gallon size and the 2nd one is buddleia in 4.5 qt size

Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm a total hummingbird nut. If you really want to bring them in I suggest the non fragrant native Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler'. :)

Your plants look awesome. Congrats!

• jasminegal
    7 years ago

Can two honeysuckle vines grow together Robert? Maybe next year I will get major wheeler :) This year growing cardinal climber vine for the hummers. The way I am adding plants my townhome front and backyard won't be enough. Lol! I got a brunfelsia gigantea too. Asked logees to ship after april 17th. Can't wait for the plant to arrive and smell the blooms!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes. You can grow two together. Will be interesting to see if one out grows the other!

Cardinal Climber is another awesome vine for hummers. Now you've got me dreaming about those magical birds. :)

Hope you love the scent of B. gigantea. I adore it and love that you can smell it day and night.

• Al
    7 years ago

So glad to find this string! I've got a new house near the Delaware shore and, after taking care of the basics, am looking for as much fragrance AND hummingbird-attractors as I can find. (I planted for same in my last home here, but even in the past 5 years or so it seems there are so many more options, including of native cultivars.) I, too, ordered from Proven Winners (through the Home Depot site) this winter and am also impressed with the size and quality of plants received. EXCEPT that they sent many things within a week or two of placing my order -- in FEBRUARY -- which might have been OK, except that many of them weren't dormant. Everything has survived (I had nowhere to put them, so put them all in-ground) but the Tuff Stuff Hydrangeas, which were in full leaf, are mush (but coming back strongly from the roots). Sorry about the digression....

The Scentsation honeysuckle is only about a foot tall but full of flower buds already. I'm interplanting it with the Clematis Sweet Summer Love on one trellis Michael: How is the scent from Winchester? Your climate is so different from mine, I'm sure other attributes may vary...

• michaelspokane
    7 years ago

Al, if the only honeysuckle you've ever smelled is the Japanese, you're in for a surprise! The fragrance of the woodbines (periclymenum, x heckrottii, x americana, etc.) are as different from Lonicera japonica as jasmine and roses are different. The Japanese honeysuckle has a tropical fragrance, but the woodbines have a scent that evokes a cottage garden. Scentsation is the same species (periclymenum) as Winchester, but is less vigorous and less colorful, lacking the reddish tints to the exterior of the flower.

The clematis 'Sweet Summer Love' puzzles me. It's supposedly a hybrid of Clematis paniculata (terniflora, etc.) and some viticella variety, but the fragrance and foliage more closely resembles clematis flammula. a VERY heavy, almost sickly sweet almond scent, rather than the hawthorney fragrance of paniculata. Plus, it blooms much earlier. I liken it to almonds, Double Bubble bubble gum, and baking bread.

In your garden, both vines should be in bloom together for a while, though the honeysuckle will be weeks if not months ahead of the clematis. You'll have some pruning issues, because the clematis needs to be pruned HARD in the spring, almost to the ground, but the honeysuckle only needs grooming.

• Al
    7 years ago

Michael, Great info, thanks! Wow, I'm definitely going to try some more perycymenom! I knew about the pruning issues but decided to go ahead with the mix anyway b/c (1) they're actually next to each other, not fully interplanted (though they will no doubt mix it up), (2) from what I've read around here it seems that although they may overlap a little In bloom, the honeysuckle will be largely done when the clematis starts, and (3) I'm recently retired and I have all the time I want to focus on my greatest passion, gardening, so I'm trying out some things that may make mine a high maintenance garden, and that's just fine with me -- If it takes me a full day or more occasionally to accomplish the pruning needs of these two, bring it on! :) Thanks again!

• Adrian Hunsdon
    10 months ago

Our two Scentsation Honeysuckle vines have no scent. Zero so bummed. They’re two years in our garden, and smothered in scentless blooms.