Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scentsation Honeysuckle

Posted by robert1971 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 15:21

I just picked up a 4ft tall Lonicera periclymenum 'Scentsation' yellow honeysuckle at Westlake (Ace Hardware) in Tulsa for $15. Woo hoo! I planted it next to the trellis where my 'Serotina' (same species, different variety and a much smaller specimen) is growing. The scent is good but not extremely fragrant...yet. I'm giving it time to settle in before I judge but for that price for such a large specimen I'm not complaining. ;)
I love it when you go plant shopping expecting to never find anything remotely interesting and you score a fragrant plant locally that you didn't have to order online.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Scentsation Honeysuckle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scentsation Honeysuckle

Wow, sounds like you hit the jackpot! I've been trying to find something like that for a while. Most online varieties are sold out, and I haven't found anything even close to that size! We've got wild [Japanese] Honeysuckle growing here and there; a pesky weed, actually, but I love the scent so much, I've been looking for a better behaved variety to plant close to our patio, perhaps to grow over an archway or something. Wonder whether other Ace hardware stores have them?
I'm gonna call around!!!
In the meantime, Congrats!!!

o

Thank you!
Yea the last time I went to Ace they didn't have the honeysuckles so it pays to keep coming back I suppose. ;)
The tag is from 'Bloomtastic! Fantastic blooms...every time.'
I also have a 'Goldflame' honeysuckle in full bloom right now. It didn't smell that strong last night but for whatever reasons it smelled incredible this morning.
Japanese honeysuckle does smell awesome (I once smelled one that smelled just like a gardenia) but as you said it's way too invasive and quite the weed in my neck of the woods.

-Robert

o

Congratulations on an amazing plant find, Robert! :-)

If only they would develop a honeysuckle with the scent of Lonicera japonica that is not such an invasive thug...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here