Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My large chinaberry trees are in full bloom!

Posted by dirt_dew z9 az (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 15:23

The whole area is filled with the fragrance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My large chinaberry trees are in full bloom!

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 17, 06 at 10:06

Any chance of a picture for us Northerners? I really love the smell of chinaberry, I'd grow it as a bonsai or greenhouse plant if it wasn't so rangy and large. Maybe they'll breed a dwarf variety one day . . .

Jim

o

here's one for you, jim.
saw this tree as i went by my bank yesterday.
i took some pictures of the entire tree but they don't really show the flowers that well, i guess because the dull purple color fades into the green. the tree as a whole is not as showy as some others in flower to me.
what does the fragrance remind you of? i sniffed this cluster and the best i could get was a cotton candy-like fragrance, though it was not overwhelming.
these trees have escaped cultivation down here and you see them growing in areas that are not maintained such as roadbanks and abandoned homesites. sort of a weed tree, i guess, with good yellow fall color.
i do recall from childhood that the ripe fruit smells like poop!

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 20, 06 at 15:35

Many thanks for the picture! Never smelled the fruits, but I'll stay away now!

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here