Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the deal with my lilacs?

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 15:49

Um, what is the deal with my lilacs this year? Most have little to no flowers this year, same with buds.

They're a few years old, have flowered previously. From different sources, some were from seed, some were from cuttings.

Full sun, soil not too rich, pH neutral, I think. No drought but no torrents of rain either. I don't feed them and I haven't pruned them yet. Some are putting out suckers like there's no tomorrow but are stingy or non-existent on flowers this year.

Could it be because of the short winter this year? It got cold late and then got warm sooner than usual with some really warm days thrown in when it should have been freezing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the deal with my lilacs?

Hi, Ms Minna. Some years ago, I read that lilacs need to be refreshed with newer wood on a continuous basis in order to keep blooming. It was recommended that 1/3 of the branches be cut to the ground every year to ensure blooming. This would create a bush with totally new stems every three years.

Check it out. Since you haven't pruned them, this may be the problem.

o

I think I'll prune them this year then. I never thought to do it because I had lilacs in my childhood home and they were never pruned but were covered in masses of flowers every year like clockwork. We had so many flowers that we'd cut bouquets to give to our teachers (it was my mom's idea).

o

Here's an article on this. If you google, you'll find plenty more. Don't forget you need to cut the oldest stems to the ground. Also cut out the suckers.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/staff/rbir/lilac.html

o
RE: What's the deal? forgot

Sorry, forgot: it's possible that your childhood lilac was a more vigorous, common strain, whereas yours are probably grafted. (The suckers can be some common no-good thing with lots of vigor, so cut them off, They will steal strength from the plant.

It's also possible your childhood lilac, if ungrafted, was putting out new shoots every year while the center died, but was still blooming on the younger branches.

Newer, grafted varieties can't be treated like this.

o

Here in the DC area, we seem to be experiencing no blooming lilacs area wide this year. I don't know if last summer's heat had an effect but it was one of our warmest summers with 90+ temperatures lasting into September.

o

Some cultivars only bloom well every other year.

o

They're not cultivars though. Some are seed grown and others are from cuttings. Just your average Syringa vulgaris.

The bloomed every year since they're been big enough except for this year. I think it was the whacky winter, not so much the summer that did it.

I have a small flowered, short lilac that is blooming better than ever though. It's not one of those microleaves... I have to ID it.

I am going to follow advice and cut off suckers and prune.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here