Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Surprise, Surprise Gardenia problem

August Beauty

The day I got it on the 9th of april. Its in fafard 52 I watered it with splash of vinegar that day, since then it has gotten rain water about twice with yesterday being the most recent. It gets sun from rise to about 2pm. Temps have been above 50 and most days up to high 60's low 70's.

Im at a loss to how quick it yellowed considering the same ones are still green at the store.

{{gwi:580799}}

today

{{gwi:580801}}

Thanks

Mike

Comments (12)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gonna bump this down. Got some advice in another forum here. Looks like PH could be the problem.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    12 years ago

I'm no gardenia expert but the pot looks too big for the root ball. Also I'm assuming your potting mix is fast draining? In the pick it looks awfully wet but you probably just watered it. Good luck! I've stopped growing the finky things. ;)

-Robert

12 years ago

Doh! Meant to type 'finicky'. That's what happens when you try to type too fast before going to lunch.
    Have you checked the FAQ section? There's some great tips for gardenias there.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenia tips

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Mike is using one of the professional potting mixes from Fafard...and even better, it's one in their line of Heavy Weights. Their term, not mine. It's very coarse textured, composed of more slightly composted pine bark than mucky peat. So, we're pretty sure that it's not the mix.

Mike, not only could the pH of the water be an issue, but so could the soil temperature. Iron (as well as other miner elements) can remain unavailable for uptake until the temperature warms up.

Foliar applications of a chelated iron product can help in cases like this, as well as using a touch of vinegar in your watering can on watering day.

We want your next pictures to show a complete turn around!

Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks Robert and Rhizo

It was wet because it had just rained. The first time I watered it was the day I potted it and I mixed in some vinegar, did a poor job of remembering how much though.

Rhizo it was mainly your posts here that convinced me of how good that mix is and I can say everything else that is in it, citrus, plumeria, and bananas are loving it.

Our nights have been a bit chilly(low 50's) Ill probably start bringing it in at night and see if that helps also.

I hope I can turn this one around or I will be with Robert and just enjoy everyone elses success.

Mike

12 years ago

Hey Mike,

I believe you're in Tulsa as well, right? Where did you find your Fafard mix? Southwood or some place like that? I normally make my own 5:1:1 mix but sometimes I'm lazy and just want to buy premade stuff. :)

Thank you,

-Robert

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Don't get me wrong...gardenias can tolerate cool (even cold) temperatures just fine. I'm just wondering if cool soil might be one of the reasons for this temper tantrum. Especially if the place you got the plant was on the warm side. It could be transitioning.

I'm glad you like the Fafard mix that you are using. Be sure, when you recommend it to others (and I know you will), to be very specific about which of the blends you use. I like just about all of those in the Heavy Weight category.

• kemistry
    12 years ago

Gardenia "likes" to yellow its leaves when it gets disturbed. Just watch your watering and give it time and it will bounce back.

(Robert!! Why are you shying away from a gardenia? You need to grow it again sir! Lol)

12 years ago

Kemistry,

You're terrible. Always the enabler. ;)

-Robert

• User
    12 years ago

Mksmith,
    Leave it alone and don't put any more vinegar on it.
    Do not water it unless the top 2 inches of soil is bone dry.
    They are the most tolerant of all the gardenias.
    They do not like afternoon sun though when it starts to get really warm where you live, they enjoy afternoon shade
    Just use regular water on it.
    Gardenias are like rhododendrums.
    They hate pots, but you must grow it in one.
    They don't like to be sprayed with anything. Don't do anything to it except water it when it is dry and see how good it does.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Robert

Yes I am in Tulsa. I get mine a Stringer Nursery

Here is a link that might be useful: Stringer

12 years ago

Thanks, Mike! I know Stringer well. That's where I pick up my pine bark fines (it's lableled compost) for my 5:1:1 soiless mix. ;)
    Now I know I can pick up both at the same place!

-Robert