Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimshy

Belated Plug for Orchid Shows

jimshy
19 years ago

I really should have posted this "before" the NY Orchid Show this past week, but I was busy going ga-ga over the plants, OK?

Seriously, though, if you're not afraid of being bit by the orchid bug, a show can be a great place to explore some fabulous fragrances and flowers ranging from magnifying glasses-only to dinner plate sized.

I find most orchid fragrances are not as strong and wafting as the big guns among woody plants -- jasmines, cestrums, osmanthus, lilacs, etc., but the scents are often very complex, even haunting -- hard to explain.

I was at the NY orchid show several times and still wasn't able to sniff everything I wanted to -- not only is the display area pretty huge, there are two dozen vendors with long tables of plants for sale. Leave the credit cards at home!

My particular favorites from the show, all of which are able to bloom in the home given the right conditions:

Darwinara Charm -- floral, jasmine-like

Vanda Denisoniana -- strong, orange-citrusy

Encyclia (now Euchile) citrina -- wow! very strong, intense lemon blossom scent.

Sedirea japonica -- one of my all-time faves, strong, jasmine-like

Zygopetalum Helen Ku -- peppery/floral

Aerangis modesta and citrina -- light, clean scents

Dendrobium kingianum -- light, sweet

The NY show even has a fragrance competition, with the entries grouped together next to a sign saying "please smell" -- how cool is that?

The American Orchid Society web page has a calendar of local shows -- check 'em out!

Comments (7)

• risingpower1
    19 years ago

Thought the encyclia citrina wasn't that strong? Did they have any cycnoches in flower, aerides, angraecums? Encyclia fragrans is definitely as strong as most non-orchids.

• jimshy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Everyone's nose is different, and there's a lot -- really, a lot -- of variation among the same species or hybrid, especially when grown from seed. To me, the citrina was awesome, so of course now I gotta try and grow one, even though they don't like it really hot in the summer.

There was a post recently on the orchid forum about brassavola nodosa: Lady of the Night orchid, heavenly scent, one flower perfumes the whole house, right? Well, some folks' plants had almost no scent, some had a fairly faint scent (like mine, d___it!), and some were so overpowering they weren't allowed in the house.

I didn't see any cychnoches in flower, tho I really wanted to (I'd really like to try cyc. chlorchilon), but there was a couple of aerides (big, huge, things with tons of hanging roots, couldn't get close enough to smell them) and one or two angraecums, including an excellent ang. sesquipedalum, but no scent because of the time of day.

Oh, a couple of additions to the list above:

encyclia cordigera: strong, rose/floral
    rhyncholaelia digbyana: strong, lemon scent, mainly at night (didn't get a lot of scent from the one specimen I sniffed)
    dendrobium anosmum and parishii: both smell like rasberries, anosmum gets really big and rangy.

Jim

• risingpower1
    19 years ago

Ecua genera it is then for cycnoches.

If you haven't seen the post in the orchid forum: http://www.ecuagenera.com/index1.html?.

Orchids ltd also have a few, but at their ridiculously high prices. I'd love a digbyana which I may be getting at the newbury show in june, can't find many people who have it.

I've heard that nodosa varies a lot, especially with hybrids like little stars. One hybrid I've seen i've got to get:

http://www.roellke-orchideen.de/Preisliste/Catt_Index/Bc_Nodata/Bc_Nodata.html

How's your collection coming along?

• jview
    19 years ago

Wow, Jim, thank you so much for all of that information! I'm sorry that I missed the show, but maybe I'm financially better off for it. Jerry

• jimshy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

If you need further caution, check out some of the recent posts on the orchid forum with titles like "my haul at the show!" I, for one, definitely went overboard, but living with an addiction (orchids or fragrant plants, that is) is a learning process. Take a look at the show pictures in the gallery section, too.

RisingPower -- I really like brassavola hybrids, and have a very similar one: bc. hippodamia (c. aclandiae x b. nodosa) and can't wait for blooms.

Right now I'm repotting a lot of seedlings I got last year and the latest purchases at the NYIOS; not a lot in bloom yet, but my encyclia radiata is just about to open, and several others are in spike!

Jim

• risingpower1
    19 years ago

How about brassavola species? Digbyana looks fantastic. Will have to see your orchids when they're in flower.

• guanabanaboy
    19 years ago

How about a nice picture of one of those fragrant orchids from the show to post on the fragrant orchids FAQ. Chris