Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best way to fertilize a Grand Duke?

Posted by Need2SeeGreen Sunset22-24or10 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 16:33

Hello:

I have been searching here and I see some suggested approaches, and I was hoping to make sure I'm on the right track.

Oh, also I have hard water. What do I need to change because of that?

Several posts have suggested these fertilizers:

in the soil: "Ironite to keep the leaves dark green and some slow release fertilizer (I prefer Dynamite)..."

as regular fertilizer:
"a bloom-booster or fert for acid loving plants ... You can try pellets, like osmocote..."

Would it be overkill if I did both the soil boosting, and the bloom-booster or pellets? Is one way better than the other?

I've been using diluted fish emulsion and it doesn't look that happy yet -- though, the weather isn't reliably hot yet.

Also, there is a nasturtium in the same pot -- should I yank it out? I can put it somewhere else.

As you can see, I really want to baby this plant -- it hasn't been growing much, which is okay, but this winter, I also lost a big branch and I don't know why, I didn't do anything different.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best way to fertilize a Grand Duke?

Hi Need2SeeGreen,

I recently repotted all my sambac jasmines (Jasminum sambac). I have Grand Duke, Belle of India and Mysore Mulli.

Here's what I did-

I first shook off as much of the old potting mix as possible and trimmed roots where needed.
I then potted up using Al's 5:1:1 mix which I first screened all materials before mixing together. I then threw in some all purpose Dynamite slow release fertilizer and a little Ironite.
I'll occasionally use a liquid fertilizer during the growing season (Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro).

I wouldn't use both kinds of slow release fertilizer in your mix.

As long as your potting medium is fast draining and you give the plant sun your jasmine should thrive.

I don't know anything about hard water so I suggest googling that part.

Personally I would move the nasturtium to its own pot since it will be competing with the jasmine for water and nutrients.

Good luck!

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 12:27

o

Need to see,
Don't team this plant up with another plant.
I use a professional planting soil for pots, you can get it at any nursery, not a big box store. I also use extra perilite mixed in the soil.
I also use Foliage Pro, which I ordered online,but I dilute it really fine, not full strength, every time I water it.
I cut mine down big time every fall before I bring it in the house for the winter.
Mine has started to grow now, it has been cool, but as soon as it gets a little warmer, it usually takes off.
I treat my Grand Duke like a gardenia, it receives morning sun and then afternoon shade. it does well with that.
If you have hard water, don't use it!
You can buy water at Walmart by the gallon really cheap.
Or any kind of bottled drinking water. Or distilled water from any place, (they sell it usually at pharmacies like CVS). You can also collect rain water for it in a bucket, just put a lid on the top after it rains.

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here