Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelsmell_gw

Michelia Champaca Your opinion?

angelsmell
17 years ago

I just purchased a Michelia Champaca (not Alba) at a nursery, he said he really didn't like the Champaca's that they only bloom a month out of the year and the scent gives him a headache..... he said my 3 foot tree will probably take another 6 years to bloom because it was grown from seed. Also he said it was a fast grower. What is your opinion of this plant, scent, growth etc?

Post pictures of your plant if you have one please, thank you. The plant has yellowish leaves and is very root bound in a 1 gallon pot. It needs transplanting and fertilizer bad. Tell me about your plant

Comments (5)

• sunshine100
    17 years ago

I havent yet tried to grow champaca where i live in Florida. The plant is a native of India and I can tell you about how the plant grows in native conditions.

My grandparents who live in India had a tree growing in their backyard as long as I can remember. It flowered all year round and at any given time there were tons of orange-yellow blossoms on the plant. I know my grandfather planted his tree from seed too but he planted his much before I was born so I dont know how much time it took for the first blossom etc. That tree is now about forty years old! The average daytime temperature where my grandparents live is usually 88 to 90 and average nighttime temperature from 74 to 79. Winter is a little cooler but there isnt much difference between summer and winter temperatures. I dont think the plant requires much care under those temperature conditions.

It has a very beautiful fragrance and I always thought it is one of the most fragrant flowers . You can smell it from quite far away. Its a sacred flower for Hindus in India and grown in temples a lot. Hope this helps!

• cloob
    17 years ago

Hi angelsmell-growing from seeds does take awhile for the flowering stage to be reached anywhere from 4-7 years. Grafting your seedling to an older Michelia stock will enable your young plant to flower in a year or two. Personally the flower is a bit strong for me but I have friends who like it. The plant will produce more flowers if they are picked and not allowed to set seed.

• karmicrevival
    17 years ago

I purchased a potted one gallon michelina champaca in March. It has now grown by several feet high (what was waist high is now over my head)! I have it potted in a very large pot (so I can move it into the garage when there is a hurricane -- I've heard they don't like wind)...and, not knowing what it might like for food,I gave it a jobe fruit and nut tree spike -- which precipitated the huge growth spurt. I see no signs of it blooming though...

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    15 years ago

Hi angelsmell, did your champaca ever bloom yet? Hoping you get luckier than 6 years.

• longriver
    15 years ago

Hi, Angelsmell: I have one obtained by grafting. It blooms on my small tree more than that of alba. The fragrance is also better, especially on the balanced smooth note. But the branches are weak. Two years ago freeze killed my large plant but the small plant survived. Three of my alba trees were also fatal in my yard.
    Your plant is surely different from mine on many genetic traits.
    This flower here was too open, simply showing you the coloration.

Here is a link that might be useful: