Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savy4_gw

michelia alba transplant shock

savy4
11 years ago

Hi everyone,
I had transplant my michelia alba into the 5:1:1 mix about 3 to 4 days ago. Now I find the leaves of the alba curl a little bit not all but a few, this just didn't happend when transplant it also happend before the transplant. I wonder I should repot it or not? Is it because of the fertilizer I used in the mix? Should I repot it again or not please give me some advice. I don't know what to do and I also don't want it to die.

Thanks,
Savy4

Comments (4)

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Looks normal. Newly repotted plants tend to sulk a bit for the first 1-2 weeks. Put it in a shaddy & sheltered place. And do not worry too much.

What you need to watch out for is whether the plant needs water because the roots haven't 'rooted' into the new soil the plant will need water sooner than we may think (even if the soil mix is still moist). A good hint is to watch for the new leaves. If they get droopy in the evening then the plant probably needs to be watered.

Good luck! : )

• savy4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kemistry,
    I have heard that if the leaves does that it might be because of the fertilizer. So, guess what I did earlier I repot the plant again into the same mix but with no fertilizer yet until the root is adjusted and until I see some new growth. I hope I don't put the plant into too much stress. This will be my last time of transplanting. Do you think that the soil is a good idea because I have never used it before. And I went home earlier I also noticed that the gardenia is doing the same thing the new growth soften and droop. But I think I will leave that one alone for now. Have you ever used the mix of 5:1:1? I have no experience using this mix so, I am very scared.
    I only hope for the best. Everybody say so many good things about the mix. I hope it works for me.
    Thanks,
    Savy4

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Savy.... that issue could cause by various of factors.. a sudden change in temp, too cold, too much sun, too much water, too much fertilizer.. etc. Michelia alba is really tough so just watch your watering and give it some time to adapt to the change.

I have been using 511 and love it. It does take sometime to make the mix right. My first patch of 511 wasn't terribly good but i did learn to tweak it a bit for my growing environment.

If the new growth is soften and droop in the evening then your plant may need water. Newly transplanted plants I usually water mine every 2-3 days or even daily depending on the temp. That's why it's important to watch your plants even if the mix is still moist.

• savy4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kemistry,
    Thank so much. I'll do like you say and wait to see what happend.
    Savy