Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers losing their scent? (independent UK)

Posted by monarda brooklyn 6b7a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 17:23

An article in the Independent says that pollution is causing the flowers to lose their scent, thereby confusing the bees. Very sad, if true.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why flowers have lost their scent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers losing their scent? (independent UK)

personally, i think the article is a bit of a stretch;
at a moment in time, they tried to blame ccd on cell phone and microwave towers.
i was thinking bees relied more on their visual sense than olfactory.
also, i notice that bees do not visit the flowers of my most fragrant plants. i do not see honeybees on banana shrub, gardenia, dianthus, etc. they seem to be most fond of flowers with open, central discs surrounded by rays of petals(echinacea, daisy, zinnia = lotsa pollen), clusters of many small florets (spirea, lantana, clover) or certain tubular shapes(lonicera, polygonatum, gaura), many of which are lightly scented, at best. i expect that whatever fragrance is emitted by these flowers do not waft for 1000 m.

o
RE: Flowers losing their scent? (independent UK)

Well, it is probably a simplification to link bee colony collapse with air pollution.

Two things should be kept in mind, though. All kinds of insects pollinate plants, not only honey bees. And the scent of flowers really is being masked by pollution. That seems really conclusive.

Oh, and there is a reason why flowers have evolved to be scented. Honeybees and other insects do use scent as well as visual communication. They are pretty remarkable animals, really. Bees actually have a symbolic language of dance by which they communicate with each other.

(Rudolf Steiner, by the way, thought that our beekeepers' square hives are harmful to bees, which in nature make rounded hives.)

There is a good summary of the bee problem from a 60 Minutes program on Youtube
60 Minutes: Why Are Honeybees Disappearing? Pt. 1
60 Minutes: Why Are Honeybees Disappearing? Pt. 2
(don't know how to embed so you just have to go to youtube)

I have also attached another interesting link about humans, bees, and scent.

Here is a link that might be useful: pollution snuffs floral scents

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here