Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hannah_gw

Some of us never do learn...LOL

hannah
19 years ago

Remember the suicidal gardenia thread? Hahahahaha!!!!!

Well...I just kept pluggin' along with my Gardenia.

It's bee a long 2 years, but I finally...FINALLY!...got my very first bloom! One lonely bloom...

'Course...the plant itself looks like crapola. Hehehehehe!

{{gwi:790692}}

Comments (9)

• hannah
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Looks like a 'single' to me.
    I always thought the blooms were doubles.
    Anyone know what type Gardenia this might be?
    Ya gotta give the poor little guy credit for tryin'! LOL

• chippi
    19 years ago

That looks like a veitchi.

• jimshy
    19 years ago

Hey, give yourself a hand! If you can get one bloom out of it, there's sure to be more to come (if it doesn't croak first! ;-)

Jim

• hannah
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yeah...I'm countin' my blessings, that's for sure. LOL

• Desert_Son
    19 years ago

Compared to the fickle piece of doo-doo I have been nursing along from near-death two years ago, your gardenia is nothing short of a triumph! Forget it, I'm too embarrassed to post a photo after all the leaf-drop this year. Which it did on its own little whim, in spite of my "perfect" care :-) coffee grounds, MirAcid and all.

Funny thing is: it set about 15 buds, and most appear to be swelling towards opening, even with obvious leaf problems (which might in reality be root problems). I refuse to get my hopes up in the meantime--I'll believe it when I see it, and furthermore, have told it: "GO AHEAD! DIE! SEE IF I CARE!" :-o

• hannah
    Original Author
    19 years ago

LOL Desert Son...it prob'ly heard those words loud & clear and decided to stay 'just barely' alive to spite you! LOL

• hemnancy
    19 years ago

Mine was doing fine indoors and I decided it needed a little fresh air so I put it out in the shade of a climbing rose, and today I saw it had sunburn. Argh! It has lots of buds it has had all winter, I got some flowers outside last year but it was loaded with buds when I brought it in last fall and they all turned brown and fell off. It doesn't seem to want to bloom indoors.

My hardy one planted in the ground outside was doing kind of OK and even bloomed a little but I moved it and it didn't bloom at all last year and now is yellow. Sigh.

• longriver
    19 years ago

Most gardenia are originated from southern China. The weather is very warm and humid like green house. The sunlight is often modified by misty cloud.

In my yard it performs better in semishaded green house.

I am not sure that yours is true single flower. It seems has outer and inner petals. I have two single type gardenias. One has nice wide petal and the other, pointed and slender petal. Both have typical nice fragrance.

• CoolPlants
    19 years ago

Hi! Is this grafted? You'd see a rootstock with silver-white bark, different from the regular gardenia. Where is the gardenia zone 6 or 10-A?
    I have a very single one nongrafted plus grafted miami supreme and Aimee. None have flowered yet but Aimee has lots of buds. It's grafted standard but the hurricane blew it to a 45 deg. angle in its pot and it's still that way. They love lots of organic material and even about 1 cup of rich compost every 2 months added to the top of the soil. You could also make a tea of black compost and use it once/week.
    kevin