Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Old-Fashioned Vining Petunias

I started some old-fashioned vining petunia seeds (obtained from Seed Savers Exchange) under lights this winter and I can't say enough good things about the fragrance. The seedlings are gradually producing their first blooms and I can't keep my nose out of the blossoms. It reminds me very much of Oriental lilies though sweeter and not as heavy or cloying. And it wafts, especially at night when the lights are off! Not to mention that the colors are beautiful, too--various whites, pastel pinks, lavenders and purples. I have not yet noticed any one color being more fragrant than the others. I *love* the fragrance of petunias, but these ones definitely take the cake for strength and quality of scent.

I can't wait to see how these seedlings will perform over the summer. They remind me so much of my grandfather's house, since he always had petunias reseed year after year in his flower beds.

I have also started several flats of Nicotiana 'Fragrant Cloud' and I can only hope they will turn out as beautifully fragrant as the petunias.

It is amazing how such simple, old-fashioned flowers can provide so much joy!