Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fragrant violas

Posted by dragonfly71 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 08 at 17:50

Hi everyone, I'm new here but not new to gardening...
A few years ago, I came across a pastel colored fragrant viola but can't remember the name. Can anyone recommend any varieties of violas that have a strong fragrance or a good place to buy them? I live in western PA in zone 5.
Thanks,
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fragrant violas

In my experience the most fragrant are the pansies with the ruffled edges - they are sold under a variety of names but they all pretty much look alike (look for names like Rococo and Flamenco). The ones I found came in a mix of colors, grew tall stems (like 8 inches up), and were heavily ruffled. I haven't seen them available in the last couple of years so I don't know where you could get them. I saw them at Home Depot. I would shop around and give all the violas and pansies you see the sniff test.

o

do a web search for viola odorata. quite a few online nurseries list fragrant cultivars of these.
i have not seen them offered by places like the local box-store garden centers.

o

There is a series of "English" violas that are noticeably fragrant, that includes cultivars named "Etain" (yellow with lilac edge) and "Columbine" (white striped lilac). I find Columbine highly fragrant -- it's a perennial, though not tremendously vigorous. I notice that it is widely available this year and have purchased a few.

Here is a link that might be useful: English viola

o

• Posted by buzzy 8PugetSound (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 20:38

Canyon Creek (online) has lots of viola odorata cultivars by mail; they're in northern Cal or Oregon, I think. Thompson and Morgan has a selection of fragrant blue violas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here