wynswrld98

Daphne Summer Ice vs. Eternal Fragrance vs. Tangutica fragrance

Wayne Reibold
13 years ago

Who has grown a combo of these:

Daphne x transatlanica 'Summer Ice'

Daphne x transatlanica 'Eternal Fragrance'

D. tangutica

I'd like to hear impressions of how strong the fragrance is among these varieties. I find a lot of posts about hardiness of Daphnes but not much detail on strength of fragrance (e.g., compared to Daphne Odora which IMO has one of the strongest fragrances of any plant I have).

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• sambacmouse
    13 years ago

I only have Daphne x transatlantica 'Eternal Fragrance' which I love for its ability to re-bloom unlike the Daphne odora. Its fragrance is lovely, but is nowhere as strong as Daphne odora and it doesn't seem to have a wafting fragrance. Even so it is not a light fragrance, but you need to stick your nose in the flowers to smell it. The fragrance is like jasmine and an incense like smell, maybe a bit of Cestrum nocturnum thrown in. It is a lot hardier and blooms throughout spring into early autumn.
    I too would like to hear about those other daphnes as we do not get many varieties in Australia.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I have Daphne x transatlanica 'Summer Ice' and it blooms for months but the fragrance does not carry like D. odora does. You cannot smell it unless you bend down and sniff the blooms. Love the evergreen variegated foliage but do wish the fragrance carried. I planted them below bedroom windows but no fragrance comes in...:( Still a nice shrub though and really blooms a very long time.

I also have Daphne cneorum which does waft fragrance across the yard and 'Carol Mackie' which is too new to tell.

• littlesmokie
    12 years ago

I don't think I'm familiar with the daphnes you mentioned (other than the Daphne Odora which I LOVE and wouldn't be without) but I met some folks who live a few blocks away because walking my dog, I encountered a fragrance wafting on the air I didn't recognize and she checked the plant tag for me and it was a daphne caucasica.

It's one of the few plants I'm familiar with that wafts its fragrance so much-not as sweet as the fragrance of Daphne Odora but definitely wafting-I first smelled it from 2 houses away)-and it is in bloom on and off early spring to late fall. Definitely on my list of shrubs to buy.

buyorsell-thank you for mentioning the daphne cneorum-that is now going on the list, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Daphne caucasica

• sambacmouse
    12 years ago

I was looking up that Daphne caucasica out of interest and found that it is one the plants used to create Daphne x transatlantica 'Eternal Fragrance' as noted Here. One thing that got my attention was the mention of the book "Daphnes: A Practical Guide For Gardeners". Sounds like it would be a good reference. It also says the author created Daphne x transatlantica 'Eternal Fragrance' (D. caucasica x D. collina).

Daphne arbuscula is one I have wanted for a long time, but it is rare where I am, the holy grail of Daphnes apparently Daphne arbuscula

• fragrantgarden99
    12 years ago

sambacmouse:
    The Tinytreasures nursery in Salem, Or lists it has D. arbuscula.

http://www.tinytreasuresnursery.com/Plant%20Pages/Daphne%20arbuscula.htm

Good luck
    FG

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I live an hour from that nursery and never heard of it. They have a ton of Daphnes I've never heard of too. They don't participate in any of the local plant sales that many wholesale growers in the area do.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

reading further they are having an open house and clearance sale today. Might have to take a drive.....