Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Osmanthus delavayi: no fragrance?

Wayne Reibold
13 years ago

I was at a high-end local nursery, they had about 12 fully blooming Osmanthus delavayi in 1 gallon pots, stuck my nose right up to all of them, ZERO fragrance. Considering this shrub is reported as fragrant I'm not sure what to make of this. In this particular variety is there a lot of variance from plant to plant regarding fragrance? Or fragrance doesn't develop until plant is larger? Or ??? Because I was quite shocked when NONE of them had ANY fragrance of any kind.

Comments (5)

• User
    13 years ago

Osmanthus delavayi doesn't have the extremely fragrant flowers that Osmanthus fragrans does.
    They are different varities, most people on this forum are referring to fragrans.
    It's not that they aren't fragrant at all, they are alot "weaker" than the fragrans species.
    Two different trees.

• Wayne Reibold
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know that Osmanthus Fragrans is a different plant, but I also read a lot of places selling Osmanthus Delavayi advertising it as fragrant -- when I say all 12 plants had NO fragrance I mean NO fragrance of ANY kind. I can't grow Osmanthus Fragrans here, tried once, can't survive our winters.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

First of all, everyone's nose is different, so sometimes there is a fragrance that others can detect, but you can't.

Second, many vendors take extreme liberties with the word fragrant, including plants that are supposed to be fragrant but have had the fragrance bred out of them, and even including real stink as "fragrance".

Remember, a vendor "sells" things. This time of year every retailer is selling plants. Doesn't mean they know anything about them.

• Wayne Reibold
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mehitabel stated the obvious (and evidently doesn't own an Osmanthus Delavayi) -- anyone out there actually grow one of these and can comment on fragrance?

Thanks!

• sambacmouse
    13 years ago

wynswrld98,

I have an Osmanthus delavayi and when it first flowered it had no fragrance as you described. I checked it again every so often and found it does have a fragrance. It seems to be fragrant some days and not on other days. It is maybe something to do with how wet the soil is, but I really don't know. The fragrance is quite lovely though and is not the same as a Osmanthus fragrans. I would describe the fragrance as being like a cross between a citrusy orange smell and magnolia. It does not appear to waft and is a light perfume to my nose.
    I have a Osmanthus delavayi 'pearly gates' which is also lightly fragrant, but smells more like a Osmanthus heterophyllus. I like this one too, but it maybe too light for most people.