Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Osmanthus delavayi: no fragrance?

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 18:56

I was at a high-end local nursery, they had about 12 fully blooming Osmanthus delavayi in 1 gallon pots, stuck my nose right up to all of them, ZERO fragrance. Considering this shrub is reported as fragrant I'm not sure what to make of this. In this particular variety is there a lot of variance from plant to plant regarding fragrance? Or fragrance doesn't develop until plant is larger? Or ??? Because I was quite shocked when NONE of them had ANY fragrance of any kind.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Osmanthus delavayi: no fragrance?

Osmanthus delavayi doesn't have the extremely fragrant flowers that Osmanthus fragrans does.
They are different varities, most people on this forum are referring to fragrans.
It's not that they aren't fragrant at all, they are alot "weaker" than the fragrans species.
Two different trees.

o

I know that Osmanthus Fragrans is a different plant, but I also read a lot of places selling Osmanthus Delavayi advertising it as fragrant -- when I say all 12 plants had NO fragrance I mean NO fragrance of ANY kind. I can't grow Osmanthus Fragrans here, tried once, can't survive our winters.

o

First of all, everyone's nose is different, so sometimes there is a fragrance that others can detect, but you can't.

Second, many vendors take extreme liberties with the word fragrant, including plants that are supposed to be fragrant but have had the fragrance bred out of them, and even including real stink as "fragrance".

Remember, a vendor "sells" things. This time of year every retailer is selling plants. Doesn't mean they know anything about them.

o

mehitabel stated the obvious (and evidently doesn't own an Osmanthus Delavayi) -- anyone out there actually grow one of these and can comment on fragrance?

Thanks!

o

wynswrld98,

I have an Osmanthus delavayi and when it first flowered it had no fragrance as you described. I checked it again every so often and found it does have a fragrance. It seems to be fragrant some days and not on other days. It is maybe something to do with how wet the soil is, but I really don't know. The fragrance is quite lovely though and is not the same as a Osmanthus fragrans. I would describe the fragrance as being like a cross between a citrusy orange smell and magnolia. It does not appear to waft and is a light perfume to my nose.
I have a Osmanthus delavayi 'pearly gates' which is also lightly fragrant, but smells more like a Osmanthus heterophyllus. I like this one too, but it maybe too light for most people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here