Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for lilac experts

Posted by ravenwv 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 19:10

My neighbor is moving this week and has a beautiful purple lilac and a white lilac...both of which have a wisteria twining through it...He has told me I'm more than welcome to take cuttings and/or shoots of whatever I want to try and grow some in my yard...the problem is, it looks as if these have been growing for years and years and never touched..I can't tell where one ends and where the other begins...

As I understand it, lilacs will put off shoots ..therein lies the other problem, I can't tell one thing from another if it's not bloomed...

I walked up there a minute ago and looked at the base of the biggest and it looks as if there is something coming up about a foot (maybe less) away..this plant seems to have the same looking leaves as the purple and white lilac..

So I'm wondering if you can tell by this picture if that is what it is and if I'd be safe digging it up...

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for lilac experts

Anybody? No?

o

• Posted by filix z5 maine (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 6:07

Hello raven. I am not an expert. But I have done that many times. Those small shoots at the base of the mother lilac coming out of the ground will have some roots. When you dig them up they will be contected to mom. Just cut away from mom. Make sure you have some roots. They like sun and lots of water. Good luck. filix

o

Thanks so much for the answer...I looked at the leaves on both plants and as far as I can tell they are the same...

Guess I will just dig em up and see!

o

In addition to diggin up those suckers, can you also take some cuttings as "Plan B"?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here