Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in April!

Aglaia odorata (Chinese Perfume Plant)!

Flower buds have been forming for months and it's finally starting to bloom in mass. Oh, how I adore this delicate scent!

Fenius,

So sorry to hear about yours! I hope it pulls through.

My Hermannia verticillata (Honey Bells) is starting to open. It has a sweet scent. I'll post a pic when more blooms are open. :)

-Robert

Comments (85)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's back to teasing me. This time on the ridiculously long time it takes to fully open! In all fairness though it has been overcast these past two days. :)
    I'm bumping the scent level up to medium though it can be elusive. Seems to be more perfume like away from the flower and towards the center it's a higher/more harsher scent that sort of reminds me of tabernaemontana.

-Robert

• dl99
    10 years ago

Thanks Robert for the beautiful pictures . It was disappointing when it aborted last time. I got a dwarf Singapore plumeria from AE in 2011 and it died that same winter. I hardly know anything about them , I should visit the plumie forum ............
    Do you plant them in cactus mix?

Kandhi , I enjoy your pictures very much.When it blooms, do post them. I am trying your airlayering technique on the jasmines.

Rosey, the coloring on the cactus is spectacular. It is so cheerful.

Here is my Mysore mulli, just one but is strong and wonderful.

{{gwi:791317}}I was wondering - Plants like gardenia, plumeria need the hot/humid weather to release the full potential of their fragrance while jasmines smell as powerful in any weather?

This post was edited by dl99 on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 15:35

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi dl99,

I say don't visit the plumie forum because you'll become hooked like us! Laugh.

I use a modified gritty mix (Al's 1:1:1). I screen pine bark fines, perlite and Turface though I also use Napa Auto Parts Oil Absorbent which is made from Diatomaceous Earth. Al's mix calls for chicken grit which I couldn't find and it would be awfully heavy for the size pots I have. :)
    The plumeria roots go crazy in the mix though you do need to water more often.

I hope you have better luck with plumerias should you decide to try them again!

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

dl99,

I almost forgot to thank you for posting your Mysore Mulli Jasmine pic! I've been moving mine around the yard trying to get it to grow but I'll be putting it back down in the basement tonight since we're getting another cold front. :)

I think most plants smell best outside when it's warm and humid.

-Robert

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Dl99, All my jasmines have started budding with one or 2 blooms like yours. Today it is in 70s and it is tempting to move plants outside but I don't want to make that mistake. Its a big chore to take them out and bring them back if temp goes down to 40s again. I am still enjoying pics of last summer...
    This is jasmine lei I made from mysore mulli and other jasmine variety flowers last summer. I wish some day I will make plumeria leis too :)

Robert is right, if you visit plumeria forum you will be tempted to buy some of those too.

• fenius
    10 years ago

Beautiful lei!!! You also got me interested in epiphyllums now... Robert you must be the first plumeria bloomer of the season!
    I don't have anything very interesting yet, just lily-of-the-valley

a lot of red and orange freesias which I decided I don't like..

then some amalfi lemon flowers and rosemary...that's all for now

...oh and in the non-fragrant department some campanulas and my first clematis bloom..

• kemistry
    10 years ago

dl99.. my tuberose bulbs came today and omg they are huge!!! Thanks again for the link ;)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Yea!!!

I'm hoping mine come soon... Talking about Enablers here. You guys and gals are terrible... ;-). How can I not WANT when I see such beauty...

Good luck Kem with yours... I will let you all know when mine come. I'm so excited!!!!!

Robert. Love the plumeria bloom.. Gorgeous! Congratulations on having one so early.. I have some Inflos developing, but we shall see, I did bring out all of my trees two days ago before I started this trip. It was in the 80's here and the long range forecast only will be in the lows to mid 40's . My DH will have a field day.. LMAO if I bring them in again like last year. I'm out working and I see this line of storms heading east.. If any of you like weather.. Check out the line that extends from the UP of MI to the bottom of Florida. It is huge.. So, you all know what I am worried about right? Should I call my hubby and have him tie up my tres.. Lol. Only kidding.. He would call the paddy wagon. If I did that. My large 8 to 10 footers are outside and should be ok, but you all know how we worry... Yikes!

Fenius.. Your flowers are beautiful. Stunningly gorgeous...

Kandhi.. I love you leis... I can only wish that I could make one.. Beautiful!

Oh?....Noticed that someone said something about the plumeria forum?

I am one who is not affected by the forum... LMAO.. GUILTY!!!! I am.

When I see Robert and others talk about the numbers that they have.. It makes me feel like I need to go to therapy for the addiction of Plumeria.

Really.. I have been good this year. I have only acquired a few cuttings from friends and bought two... My total...? I stopped counting ... It is a lot. ;-)

Have a great night!

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kandhi,

You must have a lot of jasmines to be able to make such a gorgeous lei! I bet it smelled incredible.
    So fess up...how many plumies do you have now? ;)

Fenius,

Love the flower pics. I bet the lily of the valley smells awesome!

Kemistry,

Mine are huge as well though I did notice some surface mold on one clump of bulbs.

I'll try this method. I think they'll be fine-

Step 1
    Treat storage mold by gently holding the daffodil bulb in your hand and wiping the surface clean. The mold should rub right off. You can identify simple storage mold by the fact that it will be dry and fuzzy rather than slimy. It will have a bluish hue. This mold forms because of humidity and inadequate circulation.
    Step 2
    Dip the cleaned bulbs in the 10% bleach solution for ten seconds to prevent further mold growth. Allow them to dry on a well-ventilated rack before planting.

Laura,

So glad you're posting here on a regular basis! So I see you too were tempted by the awesome tuberose deal that dl99 kindly shared with us! :)

I hope all your plumies aren't damaged by the storms.
    I've been driving my DH nuts this year with the amount of tropical plants (plumerias, jasmines, brunfelsias, passion flowers, Chilean Jasmine, etc.) I have shoved down in the basement (see attached pic of shame).
    You can hardly walk down there! :)

And don't feel so bad about the amount of plumies you own. Kemistry has been doing his usual enabling and has now gotten me interested in 'Gardenia'. I'm having Wendy check on a cutting for me. Laugh.

-Robert

• kandhi
    10 years ago

fenius, laura and robert, thanks.. I love making these leis during summer time but as I said some day I want to make leis out of plumeria's.. waiting for that day to come soon..

Laura, you don't have to count your pluemeria's, when you post.. we do that :). I received my shipment from florida colors today and the grafted cuttings are not that thick as I thought would be.. but its ok. they willl grow ..

Robert, Yes, I do have 3-4 matured big jasmine plants that bloom profusely in summer time
    The one that is doing great with growth is 'jasmine flore plena' from logees, the main stem is 2inch thick now with strong growth. Hoping for more blooms this year..

Original Author
    10 years ago

Our Viburnum x juddii has been pumping out blooms and making the backyard smell wonderful!
    I've noticed flower buds forming on the 'Snowbelle' mockorange so I'm looking forward to that as well.

kandhi,

So you're not going to fess up on how many plumies you have now, eh? ;)

I've always been curious about Logee's Jasminum sambac 'Flore Plena'. So I guess you like its scent? Not that I need another sambac since I have 3 different varieties already. Laugh.

It's been super windy here over the weekend. The poor Hermannia verticillata (Honey Bells) was knocked off the railing and came crashing down onto the concrete right before we had people visit the garden (of course). I quickly shoved it in another pot and I think it's fine.
    It's now wafting and I've decided the scent reminds me of Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) tree flowers. I love the scent however the flower bud formation requirements of nighttime temperatures in the thirties can be tricky and a pain in the hiney. I was always watching the weather and bringing them down into the basement if it got too cold. Laugh.

My Dwarf Deciduous White Plumeria (DDW for short) smells wonderful but only outside. Go figure. Outside it smells like perfume but inside it smells harsh or has no scent or little scent. It also dropped 4 unopened flower buds yesterday. :(
    At least it's got two open blooms right now for me to enjoy!

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 11:46

• roseyd
    10 years ago

I think this may be my new favorite! She's tiny - and smells like coconut. Meyer Mike knew I wanted one and surprised me with her. Isn't she pretty? :) She's got such tiny delicate blossoms - Just a few pups to add to my growing orchid collection. This brings me up to 8 orchids now. - 6 months ago - I was afraid of them. and now I'm collecting.

I'm worried for the folks out there at the Marathon today. I can't believe another stupid bombing. Why does there have to be so much hatred out there? I'm safe at work, and I really hope that there aren't to many hurt from this.

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Robert, I have total 17 plumeria's now, on some I am still waiting to see a bloom, some day I want to move to area where I can grow these outside.. Your viburnum buds/blooms look very pretty, how do you describe their fragrance?

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Robert, you have an empty saucer in that last photo... surely you need a new plant to fill it? :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kandhi,

17! Wow. I don't feel quite so bad. Laugh.
    Of the ones that have bloomed which is your favorite for scent?
    I'm growing mine in a modified gritty mix however I think I'll use the 5:1:1 mix for California Sunset since it seems to like a lot more water than the others.

The viburnum has a spicy carnation/clove/perfume like scent. It's a great wafter. It can be overpowering up close. One friend said it smelled like an old woman when she stuck her nose into it. Laugh.

Rosey,

I love the scent of Coconut Orchid (Maxillaria tenuifolia). I saw one in full bloom at Lowe's however my parnter poo pooed it. :(
    Probably for the best since I currently have 4 orchids and will no doubt have more after the upcoming Tulsa Orchid Society show and sale this weekend. :)

Don't you worry about that empty saucer. I'm sure I'll fill it up with my 38+ pots. Laugh.

So glad you're okay after the terrible events of yesterday.

-Robert

• roseyd
    10 years ago

YOUR LOWES has fragrant orchids!!!????!!! - How did you luck out? our lowes around here seem so ... bleh.

Well, I wouldn't have walked away. ... the lowes price on that orchid was probably cheaper than the orchid show price. And one in full bloom too...

I hope you'll find some rare and pretty plants at the show. :) You'll have to take & post pictures.

I'm quite well, a bit grumpy that I missed "the Voice" last night. I understand the need for news, but it's all the same on every channel - and, after a while it's exhausting to keep watching it. It could be another night of the news "drama" - 24 hour coverage turning to week-long...

I work in HR, and being in a large company; yesterday we worried about our staff and family who had gone to the marathon. Today, we are setting up counseling support for who-ever needs it. By tonight, I'm going to want something happy to think about - and, the news isn't it.

I was in a GREAT mood yesterday. The sun was shining, spring is here... and then this idiot ruins my day. Today, I was coming in on the train - and, it was equally beautiful - and yet, our town is now in this state of flux and mourning. - I sense the sun, and want to feel happy like yesterday morning, and yet - there's a lot of suffering out there around me and I shouldn't be.

So, I think it's important that we realize that it's good to be alive, that the sun is shining - and that it's spring. We can't let this idiot take away our happiness.

We have to make ourselves secure, and move past this.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup. Our Lowe's gets Better-Gro orchids. Some are scented and some are not. I've noticed you can't trust the name on the package but look for the name on the plastic tag inside the pot.
    Who knows what you're really getting but hopefully it will be fragrant! :)

Hadn't even thought about snapping pics of the orchid show. Doh!
    I'll snap a few to share with you guys.

I like your attitude about yesterday.
    There are far more good people in the world than bad and we should appreciate the sun and spring and the sounds of birds while we can. :)

-Robert

• roseyd
    10 years ago

:) Yes, even those (UGH!) 5 am birds that start before our alarms go off...

There's been some really beautiful stories that have come out of this, of some of the folks who have stopped to help those hurt, or in need. You always hear that us Bostonians are very stand-offish folks (and we are!) - but, when put to the test - we do the right thing.

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Roseyed very nice Maxillaria tenuifolia :) and if you have got the orchid bug you might want to look in to this book
    Fragrant Orchids by Steve Frowine
    Lists loads of Fragrant orchids!!(With some 20,000 fragrant orchids available today) strength of there fragrance what there scent is like what time of day they are at there best etc etc Its a really good book you can combine the beauty of orchids and your love of fragrance :)
    Robert beautiful Viburnum i can see about 7 flower bunches in the photo alone :) my viburnum park farm hybrid is full of buds but as yet to open :( i do have some fragrant daffs open and some more orchids :P will try and get some photos up soon
    p.s i was up all last night watching the terrible events unfolding on the news my heart bleeds for the family of that poor little boy (had hes whole life ahead of him) and the other victims of this evil terrorist monstrosity, its events like this that make you stop and think just how short and fragile life can be even with out these hatred filled nutters

This post was edited by fragrant2008 on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 15:14

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Fragrant, just great! What I really need is to look at an Orchid book with 20,000 ones...I don't think I will be able to contain myself..lol

Robert....How did you luck out with the flower on your Plumeria? I have been trying with mine for years and can never get them to do that. Great job!
    Remember the jasmine I bought at Logee's? It keeps aborting its buds. They get limp and just die off. So frustrating.
    I just love the smell of vibernums! That is why I have 4 in my yard and I can't wait for the flowers.:-)
    If you like them then you MUST get the Azelea's that I have. My goodness, when they are in bloom, all the neighbors come for a whiff! I can't think of the name of my first favorite, Weston's Innocence and the second is the Vibiscum:-) Wwowoowwowo
    I like the cellar....
    That is quite the Chinese Perfume plant!

Laura, how are you? How are all your fragrant beauties doing and I second Robert's joy in seeing you here more often:-)
    We are ok here:-)
    You should see the Gardenia you sent me! It's getting buds now and I will post when they open.
    I can't wait to see your flowers too:-)

Rosey!! Congrats of your gardenia. They do have a scent hard to describe, don't they?
    Remember my Orchid that smelled so nice for 9 WEEKS? The flowers are gone now and boy do I miss them.
    I love the looks of your Coco one..:-)

Fenius..You have some of the nicest plants I have ver seen:_)))))) I wish I could walk through your yard some day. You do have a gift in your hands I tell you!

Do you actually grow your Lily of the Valley's in a pot? I will do it if it works! Love it!

Hello Kandhi..Good to see you.
    I love what you made out of the flowers...How did you do that without the flowers browning on you? Great work. It must of smelled just awesome!

DI99! Wow..Thank you for the info you share here and your beautiful pics! Love that jasmine flower:-)

Good night to all and be safe.
    I will try to post some of my flowers soon.

Kemistry..I am with you..lol I can't wait to get mine in the mail and plant them!

Mike

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Hi Mike. Long time no see. :)

Yes, the coconut orchid is a beauty. It's was a complete surprise gift, and I LOVE it! :) thank you.

I ordered some shelves for my apartment so that I can better organize my growing plant collection. 4.5 foot shelves - I should be able to get the tall plants on the bottom of the window, and lower the shelf enough so that I can get all the shorter plants on the top and still get them the valuable sunlight they need. I bought 2 shelf units and they come with wheels too - so I can even follow the sun on the rare occasion that I stay home on a weekend. (Ok, I don't really see myself doing this - but, I could. I suppose if there are those who are willing to carry their plants inside n out to capture a few hours of sun - I should be equally as happy to roll 2 shelves of plants to east, then south facing windows.)

So, the idea of using shelves - I'm now considering if I should buy more lights so that I can clip them to the shelf unit to add supplimental lighting (which will be a very good thing for those rainy days).

I really love how the African Gardenia starts off with a Pink bud - and yet is so startling white once it opens.

Mike, still smells like baby powder to me. But you know I have a horrible sense of smell.

AH, I have a confession .... I ordered some more plants from logees, yesterday. (it's all because of the new shelves - I'll have more room for them. :) )

Some of them I ordered with the idea I'd give them away. (Hummingbird Mint "Tango" Agastache aurantiaca & Rose Cactus Pereskia grandifolia).

A few of them I ordered because I was impressed by how cool they looked in Mike's greenhouse. (Fragrant Wax plant - Hoya odorata & Wax plant -Hoya Australis)

and then a few of them I ordered because they looked interesting - (Red orchid cactus - epiphyllum ackermannii & ric rac orchid cactus - epiphyllum anguliger & Golden brush - burbidgea scheizocheila)

and finally - one that I couldn't decide on - but thought might have potential because it was listed in the partial sun area - - Butterfly gardenia (tabernaemontana divaricata).

Well, all those should fill up a shelf by themselves. But I'm giving 2 away... :)

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Rose Cactus Pereskia IMO be a better keeper for you Rosey grows easier than the Crassula Ovata Magnolianot.

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Wes, I've never had any luck with 'jade' plants - they always just flop over and wither.

I don't know how folks get them to be so strong limbed - when mine always turn so floppy.

The reason I was considering to give the Rose Cactus away is it's supposed to become quite large, and - it's a full sun plant. It would work a lot better on someone's full sun deck this summer, than in my tiny south windows.

I like to find unusual (ie. not found at grocery stores) plants to gift my best friend around her birthday. Last year, I gave her an Adenium (Desert Rose). This year - a Rose Cactus. - I seem to have a theme going, yes? :)

It's always all about me - even though I package it like it isn't. ;)

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

I have a couple of hoyas (all fragrant of course:P) they make excellent house plants i think a lot of ppl under rate them for a plant that can with stand a fair amount of neglect and flower twice some times three times a year what more do you want :)
    my Hoya Australis not in flower at the moment :(

I have never tried Hoya odorata! you would think with a name like that it would be fragrant but i have seen such mixed reviews online :S so you will have to let me know what you think of the fragrance when it flowers please Rosey
    also if you have room look into Hoya lauterbachii "delicious fragrance, much like the scent of chocolate candy wrappers" :)

Mike there is always room for one more orchid or maybe 2 or 3 or 4 ;)

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Don't feel left out Rosey there is no such a plant as Crassula Ovata Magnolianot I cant grow them either.

Jade growing is as easy as taking a comfortable cool shower every morning and siting in a very dry with bright high UV light sauna for the rest of the day.
    Hummels have it made on a good day it gets to feel a ghost crab walk by. Any of us would of already been lunch for a few brave vultures.
    Desert ROSEy followed by a Cactus ROSEy Next one being ..... hmmm ROSEy O'Donnell Rose?

All of our Magnolias are in full blooming glory and are my pick for the fragrant blooms in April

Dayumm that is one nice looking Hoya, I'd have a face on that one for Halloween suspended in a window just to add to the theme.

Is this idea hoya abuse and not neglect ? I potted out six different hoya during the holidays and gave them all away to the same person instructions given where WATER Each plant DAILY with five gallons for five minutes per 6 inch pot or until each of them drown.

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Hey everyone...

Laura.. lol. I've been going a bit plumeria-crazy recently. I should stop.. okay maybe after getting one more ;) I'm eyeing Penang Peach right now. It doesn't help that I run into a few dwarfs that are said to have a sweet fragrance : )

Kandhi.. that lei of jasmine was gorgous! Geesh maybe I should get another Plore plena. My last plant didn't do so well so I gave up on it.

Fenius.. why don't you like those orange/red freesia? I've noticed that the yellow and white ones are usually more fragrant.

Robert.. the flowers of your viburnum look a bit like those of luculia **;).. ;) **
    Mike.. i planted those tuberose bulbs already. I got lazy so I potted them up using a commercial potting mix which I don't like the muddy texture at all. Man I Wish the 511 soil is available commercially so I don't have to make it. Lol.

Cannot wait til Summer when the tuberose bloom.

Rosey does your african gardenia smells stronger? I've been wanting that plant for a while.

Wes.. I have never seen a jade plant blooms before. THat's one huge flower!!

Fragrant.. love your Hoya!! How big is that pot? Wish my obscura would grow faster.

Okay.. tonight my brunfelsia jamaicensis is blooming. It has a bright, sweet, fruity scent that smells just so amazingly addictive. Reminds me of mangoes. Love, love this plant!!!

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Fragrant: I hope my hoyas will stay smaller than that. I may be increasing my shelves, but my windows aren't that tall to begin with.

Wes: I'd been wondering about that strange new breed of Jade. with Pretty flowers, too.

I have a story about the variety of "Rose" plants that I gift. Everyone knows I love roses. And, I would take over my friend's yard with rose bushes if she'd let me but she told me, more than once - "no, I don't like the thorns..." So, what can a girl do, but choose other types of plants with the word "rose" in them? The funny thing is that the Rose cactus has thorns 'a plenty'. (But, at least I'm not asking her to plant it out in her yard!) :D

Kemistry, the African Gardenia! what a lovely scent. It's becoming stronger indeed, the closer we're getting to summer. There's more blossoms and last night, the scent wafted through the room, and it's quite intoxicating.

Yes, I'm very glad that I got one of these. My hardy gardenia in my bedroom refuses to bloom now. I've had an occasional bulb, and they seem to fall off, instead of opening. I know I need to repot this plant badly. She's still in the 6 inch pot that I'd bought her in. And, I need to flush her, and use the vinegar treatment, and even fertilize. All things that I've been bad at doing, it seems.

• fenius
    10 years ago

Hey guys!
    Robert, I was thinking viburnum to be one plant I would never be interested in until I saw yours, it does indeed look like a luculia! are the flowers really so big or is the photo deceptive?nice hoya Fragrant btw mine are all still rooted/ing cuttings.. And I'm so jealous of your mitristigma axillare Rosey!
    Mike, welcome back! I can send you the fragrant orchids book link, I think I downloaded it from somewhere..By vibuscum did you by any chance mean azalea viscosum?And did you remember your favourite fragrant azalea? Thank you for praising my plants, I don't have a yard Mike only two smallish balconies so everything is in a pot!! Lily of the valley grows nice in a pot and you don't have to crawl to smell it!
    Kemistry, I find I don't like the scent of my freesias and I definitely don't care for the colour..Next year I'll try the old white ones a friend offered to send me but I'm not thrilled .. as I am for my tuberose bulbs which I got too!!!My Brunfelsia jamaicensis went outside yesterday I hope it blooms this year like yours! In the meantime I have a few more april blooms to share:
    Illicium henryi

some very sweet smelling dianthus

my amalfi lemontree and jasminum polyanthum which both scent my whole front balcony!

my lilac which scents the whole back balcony..

and makes me miss the scent of the
    bluebells!

• roseyd
    10 years ago

OH Fenius,

How ever do you manage to keep a lilac in a pot? Is it a dwarf? How big is it?

• fenius
    10 years ago

Yes, it's kind of dwarfish, about 50cm ...it's the size of two cats now! I'll take a photo of the whole plant soon, I also have a normal one, Charles Jolly which is two times this size but it's not blooming yet..You can keep everything in a pot!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Fragrant2008,

There are so many Viburnum carlesii hybrids out there! I've never heard of yours but of course now I want to sniff it. ;)
    I also want Viburnum x carlcephalum (Fragrant Snowball) after reading about it in The Evening Garden by Peter Loewer. Books and this forum are dangerous for us addicts. :)

Your Hoya australis is huge! I also have one but it's yet to bloom. :(

Mike,

I use a modified gritty mix for my plumies plus plenty of sunshine, Dynamite fertilizer, Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro and this year I'm trying Pro-Tect. :)

Thanks for the heads up about the fragrant azaleas. Of course none of our local nurseries carry them and I'm finding it hard to find some online but I haven't given up yet!

I hate bud aborition! So frustrating!

Kemistry,

You're really pushing Brunfelsia jamaicensis! Perhaps I'll break down and order one this year. ;)

Fenius,

Your pics are gorgeous! Love the double lilac. I hope it smells awesome. I hate the barely scented ones like Bloomerang. At least sniffing them at the nurseries they don't have much scent.

As to my Viburnum x juddii the bloom clusters are about 4 inches across so not too shabby! The accompanying pic is I must say. Please ignore the bare earth exposed underneath. I haven't gotten around to spreading mulch yet.
    We call this our 'wild corner' for the birds. Laugh.

Oh, yea. Now I want to sniff a luculia since I don't know about them...yet!

-Robert

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Rosey Every consider the biblical famed" Rose Of Sharon"
    it's a 100% THORN FREE Hibiscus shrub that can tower a roof or kept to size by pruning down for wider spread.

kemistry
    Yes like the many on the zone 6 flowering jade list I can flower a jade easily with all the same small bouquets of flowering fall season.
    The one in the pic above is my attempt to spring flower a jade in the same zone. In weirdness I removed a magnolia flower from one of my magnolia trees and stuck it in the jade thinking the jade might need a training lesson so it would know what it felt like to have a flower on it.

Nice smell you got there too. I have one Brunfelsia "Lady of the Night" in boom as well the second time of a hopeful four or more times this year. Was a hand me down from a friend I grow it on a whim and a splash of water now and then. A charming plant overall offering a easy to please crisp clean scent.

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

kemistry it is in a Terracotta Plant Pot 11inches wide by 9 deep
    i have all my hoyas in Terracotta/clay Pots except hoya lacunosa and that is one sweet brunfelsia i have never tried jamaicensis how easy is it to grow and did you grow yours from seed?

roseyd you can always cut if back if it gets to big :) or start a new one from a cutting there pretty easy to root just be careful of the toxic sap especially if you have any pets

Thank you fenius Hoyas are one of the plants i find easier to grow just wish i could get my Milky way trees to grow :(
    and wonderful pics once again may i ask what camera you are using to take your photos?

Robert looking at your photo i was just thinking the same thing ;) that is one really healthy looking Viburnum still waiting for buds to open on mine been checking it every day :)
    But here are a few pics of ones that have flowered (taken with my mobile phone
    narcissus very fragrant up close

phal sweet heart

cattleya lost the label :(

Oncidium Sharry Baby lovely vanilla chocolate

vanda dark spotty not fragrant but could not help posting the pic ;)

i know spring has finally arrived hyacinths

azara microphylla tiny flowers but really nice vanilla Fragrance

another form of prunus mume with almond-scented flowers

camellia

and finally my new hardy gardenia crown jewels
    is the very best selection from a controlled cross between dwarf âÂÂKleimâÂÂs Hardyâ (dwarf habit, heavy bloom set) and âÂÂChuck Hayesâ (cold-hardiness, twice-blooming, double flowers) by Philip Dark of Oakmont Nursery in Chathem County, North Carolina

only a little cutting at the moment but i hope it does well

Original Author
    10 years ago

Fragrant,

Wow! Your Prunus mume is amazing! Thank you for the jolt of much needed color. :)
    Of course now I'm interested in it and Azara microphylla.
    Dang this forum! Laugh.

-Robert

• fenius
    10 years ago

I love the prunus mume too! I have ordered prunus okame some time ago, so can't order more for now...Actually, I bought it from stephen on ebay, Frag did you get your gardenia crown jewel from him maybe?I feel we might have a lot of the same sources!.. Robert, I'll try and search the lilac name because I especially bought it for the scent, it is finer than S.vulgaris and all the others I have smelled (not a lot though, about 4-5)
    Fragrant, is your camellia fragrant too?? And where did you find stemmadenia? (My camera is a canon 550d btw, I've been playing with macro a bit, yesterday I felt risky and even turned the lens the wrong way and took a photo of the pollen on a gigantic forget-me-not!)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Ok friends! Finally, a few of mine I wanted to share with you:-)

No fragrance on this one, but I wanted to test myself to see if I could carry a pot over the winter and I did! Now this open a whole lot of possibilities! This is an Azalea..

{{gwi:791362}}

Now fragrant ones!

{{gwi:791364}}

Hoya Australis..

{{gwi:791366}}

{{gwi:791369}}

Gardenia

{{gwi:791371}}

{{gwi:791374}}

Brunfelsia

{{gwi:791376}}

Variegated Oleander

{{gwi:791379}}

{{gwi:791381}}

{{gwi:791383}}

This Orchid smells like Skittles! Light and very fruity!
    Ugly, but worth every smell in the spring.

{{gwi:791385}}

{{gwi:791387}}

This one use to smell bad, but now, NICE

{{gwi:791389}}

{{gwi:791391}}

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Rosey!!! I meant to tell you that your Easter cactus is absolutely Beautiful!!!!!! I need to get me one of those! I love the bright orange with the sun. Love it.
    What do you think of the 30's at night coming back? What a joke..lol

Robert..I am with you on this one! It's getting harder and harder every time to come here on a thread like this and not BUY!@!!!lol
    Every time I think I have no more wants, another fragrant is introduced I never heard of and much needed.ha
    Your Vibernum and beautiful and thank you for answering my questions.
    Viscosum is the must have Azalea:-)

Fenius..Thanks for asking the same questions I always think of..lol I love those plants and boy do they look yummy!
    Such pretty colors and thank you for the help!
    I am going to buy a Lilac bush and give it a shot!
    Do you lime the mix since Liliac plants LOVE sweet soil?

Fragrant2008! Love them all. Boy what a great job you have done and thank you so much for sharing your beautiful flowers!
    I see some carnivorous plants:-)))))
    Do you winter them outside and are they easy to grow for you? Do you use just plain peat? I am just getting into these too. Boy they are interesting plants!

Laura, I sent you a text a few days ago and I wish you well. Hope you and your family are safe and sound.
    Thank you for all you do:-)

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Robert thank you :) and its my pleasure its just nice to finally see the sun out and see plants bursting into life and flower :)

fenius if you mean stephenroff then you are correct again! :) :P
    and sadly not but it still puts on one hell of a display
    i got two lots of stemmadenia seeds from a guy from America hes ebay name was docgreen44 i am not sure if he is still shipping abroad tho :( 1st set i got 4 to germinate they are doing ok but look like they have some kind of fungus or virus on the underside of the leaves so i bought a fresh batch but have only sown them this spring about 2 weeks ago so fingers crossed

meyermike_1micha you have some real beauties there love your Azalea they always put on a good show i have 4 or 5 of the multi-colour flowering varieties as bonsai :)
    and i can not believe your Hoya Australis is already in flower how do you rate the fragrance?
    Good spot i have 4 carnivorous plants 1 is left out side all winter the other 3 are in a greenhouse kept just above freezing
    >venus fly trap Big mounth
    .Venus fly trap Great white shark
    .Brosera anglica Great sundune
    and a Trumpet Pitcher
    all from the littleshopofhorrors ;)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Somebody slap some sense into me!
    So I briefly went to the orchid show (my partner walked the dog around the park while I was inside). I purchased two Neofinitia falcata orchids from two separate vendors for a total of $45 (hate it that my partner likes to do the math for me...it's much easier just paying separately for each plant and not adding up the costs).
    One white (the normal species color) and one pink (N. falcata Toutenkoh x Syoujyou).
    One vendor says they smell equally awesome so I figured why not have a colorful one? ;)
    Was really tempted by a fragrant Miltoniopsis for $35 (might go back tomorrow) but of course my partner pointed out I need another plant like I need another hole in my head.
    Sigh. I hate voices of reason. :)

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Hi Robert congrats on the two new orchids hope they do well for you :)
    Miltoniopsis are awesome orchids more cold tolerant then most orchids 55-65 degrees F some stunning flower forms and some have really really nice fragrance :)
    Remember life is short if it brings a smile to your face and your not harming any one else then buy buy buy :P tell the other half it was buy one get one free ;)

meyermike_1micha forgot to say nice orchids too :) is the first one a dendrobium ?

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Wow! beautiful plants! orchids, azeleas, oleanders, gardenias - such great variety between the lot of us. :)

It's finally spring! Yeah! I got tired of waiting for several of the logees plants to bloom and decided today was the day to repot them all. So - I'm hoping that my efforts won't drop those buds that have been teasing me for 2 months. I got larger pots on the variegated gardenia, the african gardenia and the orange jasmine. I also repotted the hardy jasmine, 2 streptocarpus, and some filigree hosta roots that had come with a Michigan bulb order. I started some grow trays with shasta daisies, heirloom daisies, double anenomes, and bush morning glories. I started a 10 inch pot with 3 tuberose bulbs in it. and made 3 little pots each for dwarf lilies, and elephant ears? leaves? ...

thank goodness for those new shelves. I moved all the streptocarpus into my so-far unused east windows. It's not a long term solution because that window holds one of the summer air-conditioners. But, hopefully they'll do well enough for as long as I'm starting those grow trays.

Oh, and last night - I cut back the kumquat tree - 4 inches off - so that it would fit better in my shelf unit without crowding the upper shelf. that Tree is growing fast!!!!

ONly thing in actual bloom right now? the sweet olive tree. I'm so glad you guys tempted me on that one. :) and the two orchids that Mike gifted me to help me grow my orchid collection. My african gardenias are between blooms again. about 10 buds - almost open but not quite.

Happy spring and weekend, everyone!

Mike, when the bloom is finished, I will need to repot my easter cactus. I'll give you a few branches so don't buy any - my plant is big enough to share, and growing really fast for a cactus.

With the continued few days of nice, then an evening freeze - I don't know when to actually get my plants out and in the ground. My clematis, honeysuckle, butterfly bush and I'm sure there's a few others - are all waiting for it to finally be past these evening chills.

It sure would be nice to get them off my shelves and make room for the plants that will be coming next week. Are all the hoyas poisonous? I was planning to put them in pots at the top of the window to avoid the cats' nibbling habits - but if there's a poisonous one - I may need to be even more cautious than that. My cats are jumpers.

• fenius
    10 years ago

I see a lot of spring cleaning Rosey!
    Robert, make the neofins bloom and post pictures, my first try failed miserably and now I'm afraid of them!!
    Frag, thanks, I will try to find stemmadenia this summer, good luck with yours!! I did mean stephenroff & I have an order pending from him!!
    Mike, I know about the lilacs but I can't be bothered with lime, they have to cope with neutral which becomes limey in time by itself! Meanwhile, I wanted to show you my very first rose which finally bloomed today!It's jacqueline du pre & I'll go post it in the old roses forum now because they helped me in october when my rose fever started..
    {{gwi:314906}}

• roseyd
    10 years ago

Fenius, she's beautiful! And you have her in a pot? Dare I ask specifics? If you knew how many times I started roses in pots, and eventually... Got them a late spring hole in the front yard. But you have those balconies, and the outdoors makes all the difference. Congratulations on this first bloom. May you have a summer filled with many more.
    Yes, I had a lot of cleaning to keep up with the potting. But I confine that job to the kitchen sink. I mix the dirt perlite and whatever else I can throw in...in a large caserole dish. I don't bake, so I have to put those crockery to some use.:)
    So, I hope a east window will give sufficient light to bloom streptocarpus. And I hope I will remember to water them in there. That's not a room I spend much time in. It holds my dwindling wine collection, and my wardrobe.

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Are all the hoyas poisonous?
    Rosey you have more toxic plants than a few hoya but yes every hoya has toxic qualities that can cause burns rash and even serious long term illness to humans and animals.
    On the bright side however with awareness we can handle them with safety and even avoid any harm. The bad news is your cat doesn't follow our logic of safely handling plants ,can see this stuff moving inside the plant as easily as the chlorophyll in any other green colored plant and sees it even better at night. Good luck with that.

• roseyd
    10 years ago

It's hard to decide whether I like gardenias or jasmine more.

The last 2 nights I had the enjoyment of the African gardenias, and the hardy jasmine wafting through my living room. The sad thing about the jasmine is that the blooms only last a day. I had 4 of them, and 2 opened on monday, and two others opened on Tuesday - so tonight, I will be back to a jasmine bloom free apartment. I'm happier that the gardenias seem to survive longer.

I think MA is just about ready for outdoor planting. This is going to be a fun weekend, getting some of my plants in-ground. I haven't quite figured out where I'll plant the honeysuckle. I've been waiting to see if the rose-bush would recover, and still have not seen any sign of growth. So, I may have some roots to dig out ...

should I plant a honeysuckle near the banister of the front steps? Or will a honeysuckle overpower it?

10 years ago

Hello Everyone...

I don't even know where to begin...

Ok, I do know... ;-). Mike. Welcome back!!!! We/ I missed you.. I guess I missed your text to me. When you were MIA. ;-). I sent you one and I didn't hear form you, but I knew you would touch base when you were ready. I wanted to give you time, my friend. Soooo glad to see you posting again. That makes me happier than any bloom on this thread, but getting to the blooms .. OHHHH MMyyyyyy!!! How beautiful.

Fragrant.. I have never seen such beauty. Congratulations!!!

WES.. Always love your pics... Rosey, yours too... I wish I had some blooms right now. I have nothing.. ;-(

Robert... I had to laugh at your room. I need to share with my DH so he won't send me off to some tiny island and say I'm missing... Lol. Everything you have is lovely...

Fenius... Gorgeous.. I'm so jealous...

Kandhi... New tree from FC? Can I ask what you ordered.. As I drool on the keyboard... LMAO!!! Sorry, but true... I always love to see your Jasmine pics.. Lovely!,,

YES.. My Tuberoses came and they are potted up and I see some activity.. That makes me happy!!!

Kemistry... Ohhhhh my!!! Getting the plume itch!!! Lol. I have had that itch for a long time, my friend.. I think Penang Peach is a must have. You will just love it for its fragrance as well as her beauty. BUY IT??

Mike... Glad to hear my Gardenia is going to bloom for you. This variety is an old heirloom type and is so large and fragrant. You will love it, I'm sure. Just glad you are doing well, my good friend!!!

I have been busy keeping these people from stealing my pictures an using them on EBay to sell their Plumerias.. It has been a headache, but I finally got them to take my pictures down. I complained to the listing company on eBay and also filed a report with them. My friend who saw this has posted about them and the link on thenPlumeria forum as well as the Adeniums forum. They used my pic to sell their trees.. My greenhouse with the plumeria inside and then they took a pic from John at Jungle Jacks nursery and placed it next to mine... GRRRR...

Ok, I'll stop.

I have been working hard and as you can see it is late, but I wanted to stop by and say hello to you all.. I love this forum and all that post. You all are a great group and I just wanted to let you all know...

Wes... I didn't know Paul liked granite? ;-). Must be in the "genes". Lol

Take care,

Laura

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Dl99 - I did not buy my gardenia crown jewel locally. I mailordered it from soonerplantfarm nursery 2 years ago. It is has grown 2ft tall and 2 ft wide now and we had so much show no sign of leaf loss or browning. It looks green as an evergreen shrub. I love it and I had lot of blooms on it last year. I sure recommend this to anyone who wants to grow hardy gardenia's. I will post the pics once it blooms this summer. And about jasmines, i think they are very easy to root atleast the sambac varieties.
    Mike, If you pluck flowers off just before they start opening in evening making lei's is easy and they don't brown. If you pluck them after they fully open then there is a chance of flowers becoming brown.

Kemistry, J.flore plena is vigorous for me and it is almost 3ft tall now. I ordered it in 2010.

Laura, love you see you on this forum, I bought thorton lemon drop and charlotte ebert plumerias from FC. They came very tiny grafted plants.. I wonder when I'd get a chance to enjoy their blooms. You might already have these. Your psyco is doing great, it rooted very well for me and a strong grower. I will share pics once there is more leaf growth and maybe bloom :)

I just moved all my plants outside today, If temp go below 45, I will bring all my plumeria's indoors again ...

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Laura, Hello!!! It is so nice to see you around too once again:-)

I can't believe that people actually do that..GRRRR is right!
    That is so low in order for people to make a buck on their anything less than true looking plants...I guess you could make a fortune with your pics if they are..Ok ..I'll be back since my computer here at works seems about to crash. This stinks..It hesitates for minutes on end after I have typed!

10 years ago

Hi Mike!!!

Nice to see you too! ;-)

I am so excited about the growth on my Plumeria right now... I just spotted a little baby Praying Mantis on my Kapalua ...

We all like to joke there about our "plumeria Protectors.." and this is the first of the season.. Ok.. I have to post him..

I did have the flashlight outside looking at the growth and seeing if i had any inflos.. I DO!!! Then i spotted this beauty!!! I had to look hard.. DOn't laugh.. I have good eyes when i need them!! LOLOL

Have a good night everyone!!!

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

What a little cutie, Laura!
    I hope he protects your trees well all summer. :)
    I've spotted their egg sacks but no babies...yet!

Congrats on your inflos! I also think I might have an inflo developing on my plumerias Celadine and Sentsation. Fingers crossed!

Looking forward to next month's blooming thread!

-Robert