Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Psoralea pinnata

Posted by AgastacheMan z9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 05 at 20:21

If anyone prefers intense fragrance with a differen't approach to leave size and shape, definately grow this shrub. I have had mine for about 8 years now, well protected from the frost, and lots of second generation plants coming and going through the business, not to mention the neighbors. On a warm summer night here, you can smell a sweet, grape kool aid fragrance....definately something to try for the warmer climates, or over-winter them in a cold frame or a sheltered patio.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Psoralea pinnata

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 10:36

I've only seen this species in books, and think it looks very interesting -- could you give a bit more details on how big it gets, when's the blooming season, etc?

Just one note of caution; it's listed as invasive in Australia, so California growers my have the same problem.

Jim

o

Never had an invasive problem, nor other plants owners I know never had a problem with reseeding or suckering. This plant, also known as the grape KoolAid plant, will get about 15 ft. tall and so wide here in central California. It does not like frost, and will let you know, but it does pose a surgence of potted psoralea everywhere that you can see sometimes in yards here. There are, however, really nice specimens towards the coast, where it does not freeze. Psoralea provides with an exfoliating bark, making a slight manzanita appearance to it. The leaves are needle-like, but soft and not allergenic... Other than that, it blooms in Spring and again in late Summer with a clear blue pea-like flower, with a white under-lip. the fragrance, well, you get the picture with the KoolAid name....and not one invasive feature about it....

o

I am planting mine today and hoping it is good fit here in a Rancho Cordova back yard and will choke out some nasty grasses, ivy and constant seedlings from the neighbors bay trees and yet is non invasive itself.
That's kind of a lot to ask but here we go.
I would love to hear about other people's experiences with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here