Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vanderia newberry jasmine

Posted by fragrantgardener01 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 20:33

My vanderia newberry jasmine bloomed and the smell is heavenly, a rich wafting scent of lemon blossom and jasmine. More like it's Vanda Amesiana parent than the Sederia Japonica. And instead of the 5 day bloom period of the V. Amesiana, this one lasted almost 4 weeks, like Sederia Japonica. This is the best of both worlds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vanderia newberry jasmine

WOW! 4 WEEKS!! That's wonderful. The fragrance of aerides is one of my favorites, and to have that scent around for a month sounds like pure heaven. Never heard of a Vanderia. Where did you get yours, and where can I get mine? judy

o

Gosh, Judy, I think Carter and Holmes orchids in Newberry Sc. made the hybrid several years back.

I got mine about 3 years ago and this is the first bloom. It's probably worth giving them a call. Vandirea is a hybrid between a Vanda, in this case, the cool growing Vanda Amesaia, and Sedirea Japonica, also cool growing. It should do very well in Fl. By cool growing, I think they mean that they can take it down to about 50 degrees at night, but the plants don't grow well unless it's at least 60 degrees at night. Good luck in your search. I'd start with Carter and Holmes(803) 276-0579.
Good luck

o

aHA! Carter & Holmes!! I suspected as much. Thanks for the tip, Fragrantgardener.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here