Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So I'm walking around the plant section

Posted by butterfly4u 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 20:48

at Walmart.
Really needed some looks of plants, if you know what I mean.
I get smacked in the face from this really delicious smell.
I followed the great smell and found a little group of Tangarine trees. They all had dark green foliage, and the most fragrant beautiful white flowers! Ohhhh they smelled so good after a long hard winter.
I had to have one. They were all about 3 foot tall. I wasn't leaving without that smell.
OK. So, I have never had a citrus. Ever. So I run to Home Depo and buy a nice big self watering container. I figured it won't ever dry out in the heat of summer if I use this.
Well, I pot it up, and later on checked the citurs forum, and low and behold, the SWC is not good for citrus.
OK. Now it's dark out, but I ran to get another container for the tangerine so it didn't rot.
Wheww that was close.
It's transplanted into a regular container now, with well draining soil.
I think they are like Plummies, they can rot easy.
I watered it, in the new pot, and now I will let it sit.
It still smells awesome, and I didn't mind working with it.
My house is soooo small, and yet I buy another plant to try and squeeze in my shoebox house. LOL!
Anyway, it's outside and was outside at Walmart too, so it isn't suppose to go under 49 for the next couple of weeks, so I think I am safe.
Thanks for reading my rant.
I sometimes get nervous growing trees and plants I had never grown before.
But ohhh the fragrance on this Tangerine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So I'm walking around the plant section

Citrus have wonderful flowers.
My mandarin is in flower and boy it smells great.
And then I can eat it!
What variety did you get?

All the citrus down here gets to 30 at night easy. So I think your safe.

o

Citrus have wonderful flowers.
My mandarin is in flower and boy it smells great.
And then I can eat it!
What variety did you get?

All the citrus down here gets to 30 at night easy. So I think your safe.

o

shoebox house :) i thought all houses in America were massive wooden things like in all the movies :)
Does the Tangerine have a name? i have never grown one before but your little rant is very enticing
and do not forget blooming in April ;)

o

Oh Butterfly..lolol

That's how it started for me...I see one citrus at the store loaded with blooms, then in ten years time I own over 50 in my sho box house, yard, and greenhouse...

I hope you can overcome this citrus fever before it sprials out of control..
Did I ever mention that citrus was my first fragrant plant and will be my last? If I had to leave all my plants behind, or if they all coraked, I would cry over my 'Fikishu Manderine' if anything were to happen to that...

Enjoy the WONDERFUL fragrance of just one tree for now as I am sure once you get a grip on this one, you are bound to get soem company for it...

Hoping you are well these days..

Mike

o

THanks all,
The name on the tag is Tangerine "Sunburst".
OMG. It is suppose to get 10 to 20 feet tall.
LOL!!!
Oh well, I did it again.
I couldn't believe the intense sweet smell from this little tree.
Yes Mike! It happened. I HAD to have this.
It is out back right now and I have my dining room window open and the smell is coming right into my house.
LOL. My house is really small, trust me. My hubby says that I am already a plant hoarder. LOL!
I just want it to live, and if by chance, I actually do get a little tangerine on it, I will be pleased.
I think the fragrance is worth the little tree anyway.
If I have any questions, I might post them here,
It is a fragrant, after all, and you all have some citrus at home to help me out.
Question- does it just bloom now, or will it bloom again later in the summer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here