Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia and white flies

Posted by goatster 7bGa (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 05 at 20:50

I have a gardenia that gets white flies every Spring this time. I don't mean a few, a SWARM. Happens EVERY single year. I fight them like crazy. I don't like using chemicals and it is a real pain to fight these things. I am truly wondering if it is worth having this shrub any longer. If there is something I could do to prevent each infestation before it gets started it might be worth it to keep it, but I am about ready to get the ole shovel out prune it :( It seems to be the only plant I have in my whole yard troubled by them. I wonder if I should keep it as a magnet so they don't get on the plants I really do like.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia and white flies

You don't have to use chemicals. Use a horticultural-grade oil to mix in water and spray on the undersides of the leaves.
If you get them every year, use it 3 weeks before they're due to re-appear.
You can also use a fine spray of water to knock some down. You want to focus especially on the undersides of the leaves.
kevin

o

Thanks Kevin. I tried a mixture of olive oil and dish soap with water ( it was all I had ) and it has reduced the swarm but I need to do it again.

o

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, May 2, 05 at 9:30

And again and again!

White flies reproduce really quick, so you have to spray every couple of days for about two weeks in order to keep dropping the population down.

good air circulation helps, too.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here