Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in April!

I can't believe I'm the first to start this thread! :)

Dendrobium 'Little Sweet Scent'. It's an orchid and so far has a light, sweet candy like fragrance that reminds me of Passiflora serratifolia's scent.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's pics!

-Robert

Comments (151)

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Mike you're so funny and mysterious. Keep us posted.
    The iris is really small height 2-3 ", width 2".
    It's really difficult to photograph , it's not as blue in the photo, it's more of a purple....

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Dang..Every time I want to post you a pic of something, I can't find my darn camera..lol

Let me just tell you that this plant is one of the best fragrant ones I ever liked...Sort of citrus mixed with Osmanthus overtones...Quite different....

I promise when I get home, I'll get the name.No one here should be without one of these, not even, should I say Robert? laugh

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Brunfelsia

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is so typical of Mike to keep us guessing! Laugh.
    Okay. I'll guess Spanish Cherry (Mimusops elengi) since I just saw it Logee's new catalog and am curious about the scent. :)

True,

Haven't received my book yet but I did get a copy of it from the library so I'm dreaming about sniffing all those brugs at night and finding the ones I love the most. ;)

Spent the whole day potting up things and planting pots in the yard.
    Spring truly is a busy time for gardeners!

Nomen,

Lovely brunfelsia. How's the scent? Is that B. australis?

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish Cherry

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert, you're so funny, you should have let Mike have his moment. Lol!

It might be time to create a thread about Brugs. What do you think?

The crocuses and dwarf Iris are finally flowering.
    Here is a miniature bulb, one of my favorites: Puschkinia scilloides. It smells like grapes, especially on warm and sunny days. I got it as a mislabeled plants and it was and is one of the best mislabeled bulbs I ever got :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Robert, every time you post a pic of a plant and tell us it smells good, I buy it..lol
    Yup...I NEVER knew that the 'Fire witch' plant had a fragrance..It just so happens I saw them at Lowe's and couldn't believe how sweet they smelled..I bought 3..
    One for a pot to carry with me every where I go and 2 for the ground..lol
    Even the girl at the check out asked me what smelled so nice..She was shocked it was this plant. She bought one.

The name of the mystery plant is ....
    'Genisis canarlensis' Kings Ransom'

Just an amazing plant...Let me see if I can hook you up to the link...
    I posted a link to google images and then one to Logee's for anyone interested..

http://www.google.com/search?q=canary+island+broom+plant&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&imgil=3X9H1QQ_FHqL7M%253A%253Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ft3.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcSvF8HQlrtU-G7xuF6C046aEZWNig07s9dkLZYs128MS8Bfr8ikoA%253B478%253B640%253BlbRt4HN5jh8EMM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Flogeesblog.wordpress.com%25252Ftag%25252Fcanary-island-broom%25252F&source=iu&usg=__rEMtpVXrSeU4RHsZ_JezrNju2Kw%3D&sa=X&ei=K2RUU72WEuKYyAGamIA4&ved=0CDEQ9QEwAQ#facrc=_&imgrc=3X9H1QQ_FHqL7M%253A%3BlbRt4HN5jh8EMM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Flogeesblog.files.wordpress.com%252F2013%252F02%252Fcanary-island-broom-genista-canariensis.jpg%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Flogeesblog.wordpress.com%252Ftag%252Fcanary-island-broom%252F%3B478%3B640

Here is a link that might be useful: Logee's

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike,

Glad you like the scent of Dianthus 'Firewitch'! Ours is still blooming away. My partner is impressed and he even saw a hummingbird on it. :)

Who else thinks Mike is in cahoots with Logee's?
    I just got an email from Logee's saying the very plant Mike is pushing on us is on sale. Laugh.
    Seriously. Thanks for the heads up but since it's an evergreen (meaning it takes up space inside or the basement in the winter), only blooms in spring/early summer and only when night time temps are below 60 I think I'm going to be strong and pass.
    Course the Needle Flower Tree on sale is another story. ;)

-Robert

P.S. Almost forgot. True Blue, my Viburnum x juddii still has a few blooms left on it (the rain has knocked most off) so it's been blooming for about two weeks now but is mostly done. :)

This post was edited by robert1971 on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 11:15

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Mike that a lovely flower.
    I embedded the link for you: Mike's link :-)

From what I gather it's from the broom family. Actually there are some varieties which are hardy enough to be planted outdoors, (like the Scotch broom) not in our zones Mike :-(
    However, they can be invasive in some regions.

I have to agree with Robert on this one ;-) I prefer a plant, which flowers longer. It seems that Needle Flower Tree is a better bet.

Robert 2 weeks seems rather short. But then again in spring anything fragrant is welcome are you going to chuck it out or are you planning to get another one? You can always plant a clematis or 2 in it though ;-)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

True and Robert...I was thinking the same thing!

I can't even believe that they have already bloomed considering it seems that winter for us is still hanging on...I wish I had short winter like you:-(((

I have a cold spare that neevr freezes but get down there.I think it will do good in that sunny window..I FOUND my camera!!

MIke

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Mike, Robert is the lucky one, with short winter. I have an even longer winter than you! The last of snow disappeared yesterday, finally. However, the ground is still frozen.

In spring we're all so desperate that we cling on anything green, fragrant or not, and then by September we wonder why we got that thing in the first place.

But if you've got the space and it gives you pleasure why not? That's the most important thing isn't it?

• ordphien
    9 years ago

You guys are hilarious.

I wish I wasn't so limited with what I can do.

I just bought this from the grocery yesterday.
    My whole upstairs smells of hyacinth now.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hey you!!

Ordphien..I'll bet that is some sort of dendrobium and we don't even have access to those unless we order them from E-bay..lol

I have one and for such small flowers, boy it packs a punch..One of my faves..

True, I had no idea your ground was like that. I guess I should count myself lucky...Man, that rots..
    I have friends in Montreal that was 37 degrees today..It scares me to see such cold air sticking around so late...Makes me wonder if I'll get frosts right up until June..I would not be surprised..

You should see the new fragrants I just recieved...I'll have to do an update with pics!

Robert, I ordered Brugs eons ago that have finally been finally mailed..lol I can't wait to get them.

MIke

Original Author
    9 years ago

True,

Keeping the viburnum. It's a huge bush and too much of a hassle to get rid of now. ;)
    Besides. I do enjoy its scent while it lasts.

Mike,

Congrats on finding your camera. Now where are the pics? :)

Ordphien,

Lovely bloom. Is that a Dendrobium kingianum orchid?

I've been enjoying the heady, musky scent from the wisteria that's blooming over our driveway but not as much as the bumblebees have been enjoying it!

-Robert

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Congrats Ordphien on your new orchid.

Mike, only the shady parts of the garden are frozen. The surface is unfrozen, but you can't transplant anything, not that I want to. Those parts are 2 weeks behind than the sunny parts. But everything is unusually late here in Montreal. The thing is we might jump from spring to summer, we never know. I hope not. Last year we had a late spring too, not as late as this year though. I'd received my bare root roses thinking everything is fine. When I'd dug a foot down, I hit a frozen block of soil. I let it be like that for several days, in the end I got sick and tired and poured boiling hot water on the frozen part ;-)

Great you found that camera, Mike post us some pictures....

Robert, I gathered so for the viburnum. I've got a couple of non scented ones. There are so many memories attached to it. So, I'll let be. What type of wisteria you've got, it's really lovely....

This post was edited by true-blue on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 21:48

Original Author
    9 years ago

True,

I hope things thaw out soon for you!

I've no idea what type of wisteria it is. It came with the home. I'd love it if someone could identify it for me. :)

Our Aglaia odorata (Chinese Perfume Plant) is just now starting to bloom.
    It smells amazing. I think it's my partner's fav.
    I'll repeat what I said on Logee's site-
    Ive heard descriptions ranging from a clean, sparkling lemony scent to Limoncello and Roy Genders in Scented Flora of the World states the following: Said to be the most exquisitely scented of all flowers, like vanilla but with spicy undertones. L' Occitane's lemon verbena Eau de Toilette comes close to the scent when the real thing is not available. The fragrance is variable depending on ambient temperatures and humidity.

-Robert

• ordphien
    9 years ago

It is a dendrobium.
    Have you heard of Trader Joe's?
    I get most of my orchIds from there.
    They have a wide selection of cheap orchids.

It's tagless so it's kingianum or a hybrid with lots of kingianum.

Where the heck do you guys keep all these plants? I'm nearly out of room already.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert, if it's a rampant monster it's probably either a Chinese(sinensis) or Japanese (floribunda). I've added a google search link. If yours hasn't leafed yet and is in flower, it's probably the chinese.

If it is a smaller one, then it's probably one of the native, either Wisteria frutescens or Wisteria macrostachya.

I'm glad that your Aglaia odorata is fragrant. There seem to be two different strains, one more fragrant and one less. I had the least fragrant type. I remember seeing one giant specimen full of blooms several years ago. It was around 6' tall and 2 feet wide. I couldn't discern anything, and I have a keen scent. I'm glad yours is. I just need to ruffle my lemon verbena plant from time to time, and well I get my dose of lemon ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: difference between wisteria sinensis and floribunda

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

I would agree with true-blue Robert and say most likely Wisteria frutescens 'Amethyst Falls'
    I think i will have to get Aglaia odorata again this year! i did have it for two years was a fairly large plant but never flowered then i was stupid enough to leave it out side and it got hit hard by the frost, ended up loseing the whole plant never got to see it flower :(

Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha. I looked at lunch and it's leafing out so maybe the Japanese one?
    I'll leave it to you super sleuths to figure it out. ;)
    To be honest it's a bit of a rampant weed that's taken over the redbud over the driveway.

When I walked into the backyard I noticed my Aglaia odorata had blown over. :(
    It's hard to keep small trees in pots with our wind. Much easier to grow chloranthus!

Should be getting my Brugmansia 'Mandarin Twist' today!
    I'm totally obsessed with finding the most fragrant brugs AND that I actually like the scent ('New Orleans Lady' was very strongly scented but I didn't really care for the scent). :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Robert..lol

I am on the same sick wagon as you..I am dying to get the most fragrant Brug and now I have 4 on their way..ha

Ok, I do have to ask everyone here..Have any of you ever seen a Hyacnth that is of peach color?
    I will be back later and pots..Not only is it peach, but smells competely different than the others...It has a very clean sweet scent..My mother loves it!

Ok,next time I come back I'll have pics))

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

lol I am still not sure about chloranthus! They are certainly easy to grow but as for there fragrance I have one on my windowsill on the stairs and as I pass it I get a lemony kind of citrus smell but if I walk back up to the plant nothing! I have three in different rooms so going to give them the full year to grown and flower and then make my mind up

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert, Robert, Robert, chinese!

Wisteria floribunda (Japanese wisteria) - has large 12 to 18-inch clusters of flowers. It usually flowers as the leaves are developing. The fragrant flower clusters come in violet-blue, white, pink and several in between shades. It flowers in May and June.

Wisteria sinensis (Chinese wisteria) - it flowers before the vine begins to leaf-out. Flowers are a bit smaller, ranging from 9 to 12 inches in length. Most have a mild sweet fragance. The white and violet-blue varieties are the most popular. This type tends to bloom at an earlier age and most open at the same time creating quite a flowering display in May.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisterias

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Mike, is it the one in the bottom?

Here is a link that might be useful: Peachy hyacinth

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike,

Let me know what you think about your brugs and which you like best for fragrance!

Oh, and of course now I want peach hyacinths! :)

Brian,

Hopefully when things warm up more for you you'll get more scent? Strange though since mine smelled in the dead of winter and smell even better outside in the warmth and humidity.

True,

Okay. Okay! Chinese it is! Laugh.

We might just have to start a blooming in April part 2 thread before too long. ;)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

here you go

Geranium...A small plant

Jasmine...

Fragrant Violets..

Thanks to Robert..One of my Firewitch plants which smells REAL sweet

This peach colored Hyacinth has a better fragrance than any of the others I have...It heavenly!

And last but not least today...My awesome King Ransom.

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:12

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Seriously???I think they want me to spay for Photobucket now! Any ideas?

MIke

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

lol Mike i use photobucket just copy and paste the HTML code maybe your photos are just to awesome for this site or hold out and post them in Blooming in May :)
    what is your Storage % on photobucket?

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

"If you do reach the bandwidth cap for the free account, your linked out photos will be replaced by the above Photobucket image that states "this image exceeds bandwidth". To have this removed you will need to upgrade to a Plus subscription, or wait for your bandwidth to reset for the month. Your bandwidth will reset to zero every month on the day you registered your account. You can find this date in your User Settings, under the Account tab."

Having users return to the site to view your photos through direct links does not use any bandwidth. Bandwidth is only used when the image is embedded on another site to be viewed.

that is what photobucket says :P

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Mike you can do it the lazy way, just upload them one at like ordphien.
    Otherwise open a flickr account ;-)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Fragrant and True..Thank you..lol

I signed up under my other e-mail..lol

AS you can tell. it had just poured out, but I got a couple pics in for you...:-)

MIke

• kemistry
    9 years ago

heheee this thread is getting popular ;)

I can see those pics now, Mike!

The chloranthus is a bit like the aglaia, sometimes you can hardly smell it; its scent is strongest for me on a warm, sunny day. :)

I've seen a tree-version of the agiala odorata.. it was glorious.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Mike , one word: glorious!
    It's worth the wait, these are lovely photos.

Your King Ransom looks so lovely, and that hyacinth so tender and beautiful.
    Are your violets, viola odorata?

Your geranium isn't scented or is it?
    So beautiful, thanks a lot.....

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Oh, Mike, that peach hyacinth looks lovely, will have to put this on my want list. ð´

• true_blue
    9 years ago

That's Gipsy Queen Hyacinth, Musa.

Mike you mean it hasn't got the heady, cloying scent of hyacinths?

• true_blue
    9 years ago

While admiring a drift of new Crocus (Crocus ancyrensis), that I'd planted last year, I was nearly knocked down by a strong honey scent. Thinking that crocus aren't fragrant, I first bent over my patch of Puschkinias nearby. The sweet grape scent was faintly present, which had nothing to do with what I'd just experienced. So, on a hunch, I bent down on the crocus and took a big whiff. I'd found the culprit. Just heavenly....

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Really??? Since when did Crocu have any scent at all???

I already know what I am getting this fall..lol How do you keep the critters from eating them? I could kill the ones that ate half of mine.

Blue, they are beautiful!

No it's not heady, very light and clean hard to describe scent..Smells like the others but a more of a high scent that fills the air with delight...The best I have smelled ever.

True, thank you for your kind words...The Geranium does have a nice smell if you rub up next to it..I love it.

Musa, you have to get one...You won't be disappointed..

MIke

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

some truly stunning photo/plants in this years Blooming in April hope this is a sign for a good year to come :)
    Here is my Prunus Fragrant Cloud I really love this one how the flowers hang down like little bells I have a bench right under this tree

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Robert Yeah it's B. australis scent isn't as grand as B. Lady of the night B aus. has a feash start while opening desont last very long either nothing like B' Lady of the night

Scented violets have to admit that they have me wondering what will they think of next ? No match for the the Dianthis scent or better ?

Pelargonium Cv.nutmeg variagte has a neat nutmeg scent to it when plucked or rubbed.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Mike I was surprised too! Not all crocus are scented, mind you, but some are. I'm now going to sniff all my crocus, lol. However, the best time for wafting in my experience are sunny days (obviously, otherwise they won't open); a temp around 50f, a breeze can help also :-)

Now this is nothing like the power and might of hyacinths. And probably most of the time you need to kneel over. I had the wafting with around 20 bulbs, now if I'd planted 50 or hundred, well you can imagine....

As for protection of crocus from squirrels. Well, you either cover the place you've planted your bulbs with chicken wire and then remove it when the ground is frozen or just before the first snow fall. Or cover the space right away with leaves or shredded leaves. Or do both :-)

The trick is that the tree rat shouldn't know that you've been messing around in his territory ;-)

Lovely photo fragrant. Did you know one of the most fragrant hybrid tea roses is named the same as your Prunus?

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

This might shock you True blue but i do not have a single rose in my garden or collection of fragrant plants :0

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Pray elaborate ;-)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Thanks for naming the variety of Hyacinth, True blue.

Some flowers from this morning. I sniffed Moonglow magnolia and it is way spicier than I remember from last year, kind of like an oriental lily. Love this magnolia because not many can bloom at such a small plant.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

That's such a good way to post multiple photos!
    I wonder if I can do that on my phone.
    I tried photibucket but it's hard for me to navigate on my phone.
    But I always feel like an annoyance when I post one at a time.

• kandhi
    9 years ago

musaboru, pretty collage of pics. grandduke supreme.. does look very supreme and I can imagine the fragrance!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Ordphien, the app I use is called Photo Grid. I feel you, making a collage is a lot easier than multiple posting....

Kandhi, thats actually a regular Grand Duke. I have GDS from Dhan for about a year, but it hasnt bloom yet. Probably needs more sun.

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Beautiful Musaboru is that a figo i see? what is the scent like? i find the butter yellow form to be the most fragrant
    Ordphien post them anyway you can it is never a annoyance to see wonderful photos

This post was edited by fragrant2008 on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 10:49

• true_blue
    9 years ago

That's simply lovely Musa....

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Thank you!
    Photo grid works like a charm.

Opening despite the rain.
    Abraham Darby. To this day he remains my favorite David Austin rose. Smells divine.
    My yellow Angel trumpet. Honestly I didn't really take any pictures if the first flush. This one has one of my favorite scents at night.
    My pink Angel trumpet. Poor thing.
    It was neglected for 5 years. And two years ago there was a spider mite infestation that further destroyed it. I couldn't get rid of them.
    They left. It started to recover. Finally.
    Then my tree fell on it. And now it's got spider mites again.
    The spider mites that only ever appear on that angel trumpet.
    And finally rose germanium. Fragrant foliage, and cute flowers.

• kandhi
    9 years ago

Butterfly yellow magnlia, beautiful flower with pleasant fragrance

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Ordphien lovely photos. Your yellow brugmansia has been through a lot. Seems to be a survivor. Like your collage. Actually I prefer single uploaded photos, as they will be always there, as opposed to the linked photos which are usually removed. Nothing more frustrating when you're reading a thread, where you see the dreaded sign, the link has been removed!

Fragrant2008, I was curious about your comment about not having fragrant plants, then how do you account for all these beautiful fragrant blossoms? The neighbour's maybe ;-)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler