Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooke28_gw

Pruning Mad Jasmine/stephanotis

Brooke28
10 years ago

Hello!

I have been so very busy and have a lot of catching up to do on this forum! I lurk in the darkness and quietly stalk posts :) Such a wealth of info on here, thank you everyone for sharing!

I have a madagascar jasmine that is going into it's 4th summer with me (got on clearance one fall). I would like to prune it but I have read after bloom, preferably fall. It has started some new growth. Do you think cutting it back would stunt it?

Quick history of this guy: He was small when I got him in fall, that summer it took off and grew and had wonderful blooms. The next summer same deal, great amount of blooms and growth. Then I cut a bit off to try to root (with no luck, only using water), well I don't think he liked it much with other factors in play. Last summer he had blooms but not many and the growth was minimal. Leaves started turning yellow and dropping (I know part of this was from my helpers watering) but when cold weather hit the leaves didn't stop, ALL but ONE leaf dropped :( It looks as if one vine is almost totally dead except 1 ft and the other is about half dead, 4.5 ft still ok. The new growth is where the only lonely leaf survived.

I think part is from over watering, using more AC (cause a baby was in the house last summer) and a door that was broken this year causing a bit of a draft has hurt my lil guy. This plant has always been inside and I don't think light is the issue.

Sorry for the book but want to put it all out there. So I plan to do the pebbles this year for humidity. But would really like to cut the dead off. Has anyone done this when new growth is starting? I'd hate to stunt it since it would be nice for him to have some leaves again. Any advice would be great, TIA!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living