Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadowlover

Wisteria--have you seen this one?

shadowlover
19 years ago

I obtained this variety from an old homesite many years ago, has anyone seen anything like it? It has a different color and scent than the wildform around here.

Comments (24)

• shadowlover
    Original Author
    19 years ago

And here's my tree, as you can see, it's a bit different.

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful wisteria, Shadowlover. Your wisteria is awesome! It is Wisteria sinensis, but I don't know the cultivar. If you are interested, Peter Valder has a wonderful book on wisterias, and he lists all the cultivars in existence and their attributes and characteristics, and the pictures are to die for. Your pictures belong in his book!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peter Valder's Book Link

• shadowlover
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks once more, Clare. You are saying this is a Chinese Wisteria?

Tried reading some pages of that book, looks a bit dry for my tired old eyes, but thanks for pointing me there.

Here's one more pretty photo I can't resist showing off

• Patricia_looi
    19 years ago

Hi Shadowlover,

This is a very beautiful flower. I have a few question...
    1) Do Wisteria have nice smell?
    2) They will only flower when the weather is cold?
    3) Do they set seeds?
    4) How frequent do they flower? Is it once a year or regulary?

• sunrisefairy
    19 years ago

+I'am eagerly waiting for the answers to the above questions as well. I bought a one gallon wisteria last year and it has definately grown but i've shown no blooms yet this year, i'm in Texas is it too late to expect any?Any idea why it didn't flower?? Thanks a bunch,
    SunriseFairy

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Shadowlover, your pictures and wisteria are both gorgeous. I can't say for sure that it is a Chinese wisteria, but the blooms look shorter than Japanese wisteria blooms so I would say there is a good chance that it is. One way to tell for sure is that, if the vines climb clockwise, the vine is Wisteria floribunda (Japanese), and if the vines climb counterclockwise, the vine is Wisteria sinensis (Chinese wisteria).

Patricia, yes, wisteria is very fragrant and wonderful. Some cultivars are more fragrant than others. They will flower in any climate given the right conditions. They don't need cold to flower. I'm in a very warm zone with mild winters, and I get flowers. They do set seeds, and seeds are easy to germinate, but a vine will take 5-10 years to flower from seed. Wisterias usually flower in the spring before the leaves emerge but can flower sporatically through the summer.

Sunrisefairy, the most common reason that a wisteria won't flower is lack of full sun, but your wisteria may not be mature enough to bloom yet. Grafted wisterias bloom the easiest and the quickest, followed by wisterias grown from cuttings, followed by wisterias grown from seed.

• shadowlover
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So there is truth in twining? I'll have to watch closely, I trim off all the wayward shoots.

I've never fertilized this either from reading that it can inhibit blooming.

Clare, I must ask, have you a degree in horticulture? So glad you're around!

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Thanks, Shadowlover, for the compliments. I'm around less and less these days as other things occupy my time, but I try and get here when I can. My degree isn't in horticulture, but I do absorb information about those things which interest me! I did read Peter Valder's book on Wisterias, and he is considered a foremost authority on wisterias. The information is wonderful, and the pictures are outstanding. Your pictures are equally beautiful!

• mare2
    19 years ago

Shadowlover, if that picture were on a calendar, I would buy it! Do you have to do a lot of pruning to get it to stay in that lovely tree form? Thanks for sharing the breathtaking photo! 'Mare

• shadowlover
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello Mare, actually, one you get the form set, it's just a matter of keeping the wayward shoots under control. I should do it more, but I trim off the unwanted stuff probably 3x a season.

Actually, I should tell a secret, I was lucky to find a 3" vine than had rooted at an angle, it was already looking like a begining of a tree, and thats what it became :) Of course it wasn't easy getting it, I had to run home for my trusty mattock, and it took me about an hour! I think it's my proudest posession and accomplishment, so I really appreciate the comments! Like Clare said, it does throw out some blooms (for me) when the weather gets wierd, but nothing like the spring show.

Thanks for the compliments on my photography all, I must admit, sometimes I get lucky :)

• katyajini
    19 years ago

Hi!

Gorgeous tree! How do you stop it from sending runners through the soil to every part of your garden? Our huge Wisteria sends out roots that are thick and tough like telephone cables and Wisterias pop out everywhere!

I still love Wisteris though. I want to get at least one more but grow it in a big pot outside trained to tree form like yours. Like some Japanese maples are.

If you look up Bloomriver.com they have a picture of a Wisteria where the colors are just like yours. It is called Wisteria floribunda 'Macrobotrys'. Do you think this might be it?

Katyajini

• karenwebb_
    18 years ago

Shadowlover, that is my weird little tree!! I bought that same tree through Springhill nursury about ten years ago. We had a hornet's nest in our front yard, and I stuck that little dry root in the hornet hole in the ground. And now it looks just like your photo. It is a Japanese Wisteria. And I have seen them here around Utah, and in Texas. And I am currently going to plant a tree near it so that it has something to climb. They like to climb. And yes they are very fragrant, and mine only blooms once a year, occasionally twice. I see many people stop to look at it, and they allways look curious about what the heck it is.

• imari2
    18 years ago

I bought a wisteria from a local nursury about 4 years ago I have lost the tag so do not know even what kind it is but it has never bloomed, has nice vines /leaves grows ok roots have not run all over yet,but no blooms! I had one at my previous home and it was wonderful so what is wrong with this one? if any one can help I would be gratful
    thanks ,
    Mari

• potvinb
    17 years ago

Shadowlover - I just wanted to ask you if it's alright if I use the beautiful picture of your wisteria on my pc desktop. It looks like a painting - it's so gorgeous.

I'm new here and probably won't visit that much, but I'm considering getting a wisteria for my yard and have been poking around the internet looking for advice.

If I decided to plant in a container, can anyone give me any advice about the best type of wisteria and the size of container I should use?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Miscellaneous

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Just to chime in, american species of wisteria -- w. frutescens and w. macrostachys -- flower at much younger ages than asian species, and frutescens will repeat bloom if it's cut back after the first flowering. They're both fragrant, perhaps less intense than some sinensis cultivars, but don't forget that asian wisteria can be very invasive and take over back yards if not carefully controlled.

I'll post a pic of my 3 year old vine this weekend!

Jim

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

I pulled up this old thread, and OMG your wisteria tree is so beautiful. I"m looking to buy one and was wondering if you would give me some tips. I saw wisteria 'prolific' a 4' standard, however it mentions nothing about it being fragrant. If I'm getting a wisteria it *must* be fragrant. What is the name of the tree you have in the pic? And where did you buy it, and is it fragrant?

Thanks
    Maureen

• potbelly
    17 years ago

irish rose grower:

If you are referring to the tree Wisteria offered by Wayside, the description on their website reads, "The velvety, fragrant violet-blue blooms open all at once on each long, pendulous 12- to 15-inch raceme, offering an incredible display of color..." I recently ordered 2 of this tree myself.

Steve

• luv2bloom
    17 years ago

Hello Shadowlover. My applause, this Wisteria tree is beautiful. I tried to save the picture to "My Pictures" to use as a painting subject. I was not able to. Are you able to assist me in recieving the two pictures for me to use for my painting enjoyment. It is the 1st bloom picture and the tree. If you are able to help, please write back. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond. Happy spring gardening everyone.

• bachelorette_pad
    17 years ago

I thought wisteria was a vine, not a tree?

• felixcat
    17 years ago

Hello Shadowlover, your wisteria is beautiful. They are among my favourite plants. Here is a picture of my Japanese macrobotrys. The racems are about 36 inches long. The perfume is amazing as good as any rose.
    Hazel.

{{gwi:7744}}

• longriver
    17 years ago

One more of April bloom, from my garden friend's house

Here is a link that might be useful:

• susaninthegarden
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh. We used to live in the Bay area in Newark. There was an old barbershop with a fifty foot long covered porch. Covered with a huge wisteria. The blooms drooped all the way to the ground and you could smell it for at least a block. It was the most incredible sight and smell.
    We are trying to grow one here but it just is fighting our efforts. darn. Too cold and windy apparently.

• Avandenende_verizon_net
    13 years ago

I have a wisteria tree I planted last summer. It's growing quickly. We live in FL but the eater has been colder than usual. Do I need to do anything special to protect my tree? I would be heartbroken if it died from the cold. Thanks.

• mycosmomartini_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Is anyone growing wisteria in zone 9b florida?