Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david1978jp

Gardenia essential oil, where to find?

david1978jp
19 years ago

Love Gardenia, but they bloom only once per year. I have tried many Gardenia perfume and oil, some come close, but most of them are just not right. Does anyone have come cross a good one? Please share.

Comments (11)

• bewitch
    18 years ago

I read somewhere that it is impossible to distil gardenia fragrance. I have tried every "gardenia" scented candle, potpourri, lotion, etc. Nothing comes close to the real thing. Maybe that's part of it's magic.

• david1978jp
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found "Elariia" brand sold at Home Shopping Network (some on-line shop also) is very closed to real thing. Still, looking for the perfect one.

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

I have found that the Gardenia candle from Home Interiors does smell close - and all the Yankee candles smell heavenly, but i do not know if they have a Gardenia scent.
    Also - David - i don't know what type of gardenia you have, versus what i have, but mine bloom off and on all year long...outdoors...5 feet tall....we like to call it "Angel Fertilizer" b/c these were some that my Mama rooted - she died in 2001. But, I kid you not - i have had blooms in Decmeber! And it does bloom off and on all year - spring through fall mostly.

• girlndocs
    18 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is still looking, a product called Monoi de Tahiti oil is supposed to be scented with Tahitian gardenia flowers. When I contacted the company to ask, I was told that the scent is all natural and the oil has no synthetic perfume oils in it. The "Tiare" scent is the one you want for the gardenia fragrance.

The stuff is fantastic for hair and skin too.

Kristin

Here is a link that might be useful: monoi de Tahiti oil

• bellegallica
    18 years ago

Like Bewitch, I've also read that it is impossible to extract or distil the gardenia fragrance. Don't know why, though. But that explains why nothing smells like the real thing. I know, bummer.

I wish they bloomed continuously. But, as Bewitch also suggests--maybe they would lose some of their allure if we could enjoy them that often?

• Serinus
    17 years ago

This is an old thread but I just had to post as I've seen the comment on the monoi oil. Maybe that oil isn't that natural smelling at all. There's a scented and an unscented one. It's true that monoi is composed of tahitian tiare flowers soaked in coconut oil, BUT to have a strong scented oil gardenia oil like that of monoi, a ton of Tiare flowers may need to be used. As an example, It takes hundreds of strongly scented jasmine and rose flowers to have only a few ml of essential oil and that cost and arm and a leg. If that would be the case then scented monoi would cost a lot more than it actually cost. The scented monoi is enhanced with fragrance. My Tiare flowers doesn't smell like the monoi oil I have here, so don't expect the scent of true Tiare flowers to be like the scent of Monoi. Also there are plumeria, sandalwood and pikake scented monoi and it still have natural Tiare extract BUT not it's scent.

Also, there's no natural Gardenia jasminoides essential oil, just natural or synthetic aromatic compositions.
    Juan

• shesjr
    17 years ago

Thanks Juan for the info. Have you ever smelled any of the oils from Tahait-Iti Imnports or have you ever purchased from them? In my opinion as long as it smells true to the flower I don't really mind if it's enhanced with fragrance. I ordered from them last week and I will stop back on this thread to let you know how the Monoi de Tahiti smells when I receive it.

• Serinus
    17 years ago

No I haven't buyed from that company, but I buy Tahitian Monoi oil for soap and toiletry making. You are right, IMHO I don't mind buying a synthetic fragrance as long as it smells true to the flowers I grow in my garden. Sometimes I made the blends myself as I almost never like the synthetics oils I get. So far the Monoi oils I've tried smells gorgeous, but not like the true scent of a Tiare Blossom. I have a Gardenia and a Tiare Blend that I made for my handmade soap, candles and other toiletries that smells just like the flower (or at least as close I could get).
    Juan

• RachelWright_gmail_com
    16 years ago

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say. I WANT it!!! Would you sell this concoction you make? I make soaps and desperately want that scent!

Rachel

• mnagpal1_gmail_com
    15 years ago

You can buy Pure and Natural Gardenia Essential oil from www.herbalveda.co.uk.

They have the Pure oil at very reasonable price. I have tried it.

Good Luck....

Manmohan Singh

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Gardenia essential oil, where to find?

• mnagpal1_gmail_com
    15 years ago

You can buy Pure and Natural Gardenia Essential oil from www.herbalveda.co.uk.

They have the Pure oil at very reasonable price. I have tried it.

Good Luck....

Manmohan Singh

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Gardenia essential oil, where to find?