Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Gardenia confusion or jelousy?!

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

I gave my brother a one foot high denia last spring, because I had an extra and my sister-in-law was cazy about it.

It was in an 8 inch pot with peatmoss...Just a baby

Well, I hardley ever go and visit and decided it was time to spend time with them.

Well my brother took me for their plant tour and showed me a 3 feet high and 2 feet wide most beautiful gardenia I have ever seen growing indoors.

It was a wonderful deep green, big, loaded with buds and absolutely shiny.

Turns out,IT WAS THE SAME ONE I GAVE HIM LAST SRING!!

I couldn't beleive it. In shock. It still bothers me.

It was in a south facing window.

Someone that can actually grow one so healthy and have no problems at all with it. NONE!!

I am the one doing all the research, and doing everything I can to keep mine healthy.

It is root bound, and was growing indoors all winter since he brought it in last Ocotober.

He has done NOTHING at all special to it. No food, no lights, no showers, no insect sprays, and no special attention. Not even showers.

It hurts. lol

I don't know whether if I am confused, jeolous or happy after seeing this.....

I think I am going to hand over my plants to my sister-in-law every fall now. I am even going to have them care for a few of my other denias,and citrus since they live on a farm, with a big front open yard porch on tons of land facing lots of full sun and it seems they know how to grow denias with no issues....

I fight to keep mine looking good or at least alive.

Them, nothing!!

They have done no research on care, and yet I have done everything, and they can eaisier sucess for a large denia better than me. :-(

I think you either have it or not...

Oh well.....

Comments (7)

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Mike, that is pretty amazing, considering how most of the people here have issues with this plant? I know that there are some out there that grow this plant effortless...but I think most will agree that this is more of the difficult one to maintain healthy all the time. I know that when they are planted in the ground for several years, the care minimizes as the plants get established in the ground. But having said that, container growing is another story.

Well, all I can say is Kudos to your brother and sister in law!! Maybe you need to find out more info on their care, maybe they are not telling you everything, LOL...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Everything my sister-in-law touches does well.
    Whether it's cooking, raising kids, gardening, and even growing a denia!! She seems to never fail at anything..lol

I will be excited to leave some of them in her care next fall!! She has the magic fingers and the HUGE windows...She even makes all her orchards reflower effortlessly!!!ARG!!!! She know nothing of these plants care. She just uses her judgement!!

When I ask her what she does, you get this.."Nothing really"..lol. Sort of what you hear when you ask a greenhouse what they do or feed their plants with....lol

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Mike, do they live in a warmer climate? That is the only thing I can think of..or maybe they have good light to put the plant in, maybe they have a sauna that humidifies the house so that the stinkin' plant survives and thrives? Maybe they are pod people from another planet and can communicate with the gardenias through some sort of mind reading?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are pod people...LOL

They live just about 20 miles west of me..lololol Mersiepoo..

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Eh, it figures...those damn pod people drive me nuts! Gardenias grow like crazy for them! All you have to do is let them take over your real body and *SHAZAM* you will grow gardenias like...well like a pod person!

If they actually aren't pods (only alternative) is that they sold their souls to the Devil so that they can grow them. Only thing I can think of! I had a great aunt that supposedly could grow gardenias, had a huge plant 4 feet tall in a pot. She hardly did anything to it, just watered it once a week. She gave it to my mom, who promptly killed it in a week. I wonder if maybe there is a gardenia care gene...and it skips a generation. Because I sure as heck don't have it, lol!!!!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hahahhahahahhahaa

Oh merciepoo, you crap me up.....lol

Hope you're well my friend!;-)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh GOD!!!!!!!!!

I just saw my typo error!!!lol
    You CRACK me up....sheesh