Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small trailing houseplant, fragrant leaves?

Posted by rumbum (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 0:09

Hi guys,

I am looking for a fragrant houseplant for my bathroom. I looked at the FAQ but a lot of those only have fragrant blooms or get BIG. I live in an RV and have the smallest bathroom in the world! Seriously, I just measured it and it is 2'x3' with about 7' height. I'm trying to think of a nice trailer (for the trailer, haha!) to hang from the ceiling that will have scented leaves, not just the blooms. There is a skylight which will admit bright filtered light all day. Temperatures are typical house temps but the plant may get a little draft from the skylight in the winter.
My ideas so far include:
-Rosemary (nice but boring!)
-Scented geraniums which don't really trail but they stay small enough that they would be okay.
-I LOVE hoyas... maybe the H. obscura I read so much about in this forum...does it bloom frequently? So tempting!

Thanks for your ideas!
Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small trailing houseplant, fragrant leaves?

How about pineapple sage, Salvia elegans? This plant has red flowers beloved by hummingbirds if grown outdoors in summer. It is not hardy, so has to be indoors in winter.

This is a very fast grower, sucks up water. I don't know if your bathroom would give enough sun for the scent to develop, but it would be worth a try.

Scent is mild to my nose.

o
RE: small trailing houseplant, rosemary t leaves?

comment about rosemary. I have tried keeping rosemary alive in winter-- it's extremely difficult. Rosemary needs hot, hot, hot sun to really thrive (and also to develop its fragrance).

After trying it for two winters indoors, I gave up. It gets mildewed indoors in winter. Indoor light is simply not enough for it. I believe this would be especially true in a bathroom situation, where I would expect it to get mildewed even in summer.

It might avoid mildew if it were denuded of leaves and kept very dry, but this defeats your purpose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here