Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ankraras

Blooming J. sambac & Gardenia

ankraras
15 years ago

Here are a few pics of Sambac from my collection. The stand by varieties around here are appears to be 'Maid of Orleans' and 'Grand Duke' which are commonly sold every where here.

The long stress of waiting for Gardenia to bloom is finally over, I am so thrilled. The wonderful thing about working with nature is the beauty of the many blossoms we find in gardening.

Good Growing every one!

{{gwi:7760}}

Comments (11)

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

OOOH! Loved the slide shows! So beautiful, congratulations on successful plants! That gardenia plant looks divine!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

That's Cool!! Love how you made a moving slideshow. Great Plants, very Pretty...

• ankraras
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mersiepoo and Puglvr1 for the compliments!

I don't know if you have seen the Gardenia 'Aimee' / 'First Love' thread. I fell in love with the flowers so I lust after the gorgeous lush, robust growth with blossoms and hope to be able to find it in my neck of the woods.

Look what came home with me this weekend. It's not the best looking one but it's half way decent for the Gardenia available at the box stores. It was beginning to bud and the price was right, lol.

• bramasole
    15 years ago

Ooh, I LOVE them! After a bad time with Gardenia last year, I have managed to keep a Maid of Orleans over the winter, without much growth... I can't wait to see it take off and flower!!!

• ankraras
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bramasole ;- If you can manage to over winter it I would consider that a good beginning. Congratulations!

For me, all sambac has been growing a bit slower this year too. It may have been the crazy weather that is effecting their growth who know!

Do you have J. 'Mysore Mulli'? It has a several layer flower petal. Quite pretty! This variety has proven to be a more vigorous grower for me than any other sambac varieties. I think if you would try it you would be much happier with it.

• kandhi
    15 years ago

Supannee, those are all beautiful pictures. Whey did you buy J.Mysore mulli'. It is a lovely picture? I am looking for another vendor who is selling these other than TT in florida.

• ankraras
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kandhi.

I wish I remembered where I bought that plant, lol. I have not been keeping record. If the memory still serves me correctly I believe it is from Loogee's long ago before the transition of the ownership took place. My plant is now a good sized one. Mother nature must be on my side. ;-]

Nurseries in NJ Bhatia also list this plant in their catalog, thou I have never bought anything from them. I did visit their site, from looking at their photos it appears to be the same gorgeous J. 'Mysore Mulli' as mine.

I rarely use fertilizer on my plants. When I do, Osmocote 14-14-14 appears to work well for me. I just sprinkle it on top of the soil when the plants start growing in spring and 2-3 times a year a weak solution of fish emulsion just to keep the leaves looking lush and withstand the hot summer sun here.

These Jasmine plants are outdoor growing. None of the plants get any fertilizer at all during the winter. I just keep them well-well watered like I do at any time of the year.

Hope this covers your questions.

• kandhi
    15 years ago

Supannee, this info is helpful, I bought from Bhatia before, the plants were small and they died, I will wait for TT to have these in stock. Your plants are beautiful and healthy, you sure do have a green thumb. Thanks for sharing.

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Ankraras, how did you get your plants to do your bidding? They are so beautiful!!

• ankraras
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mersiepoo;- I think my plants do their own bidding. ;-]

Seriously, other than I have already stated above response to Kandhi I just let them be. As you probably have noticed I like my plants in large containers [Never mind the need for that container and plant relationship stuff, lol.] and try not to have them water deprived. All in all I am really amazed what just culturing and growing simplicities can do to suit it's self with our environment. Thou, I am continuing to learn still!

One other thing I did notice is that they don't really care to be fertilized all that much. They may boost their growing rate, producing foliage but fewer blooms.

Supannee

• anu_kadabas_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I would like to have tow or three gardenia plants and i do not know where can i get them ? can u please help and does grow well in mysore climate.