Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattdiclemente

cestrum elegans 'smithii' - fragrant after all?

mattdiclemente
12 years ago

Cestrums are vigorous growers among fragrant plants.

In fact, they are large, course, tropical shrubs that need to be brought indoors in the Winter here in New Jersey, and I grow them only for their fragrance, and their iron clad resiliance.

While I've long been familiar with yellow C. Parquii, and Cestrum Nocturnum, (Night Blooming Jasmine)and I long to try Cestrum Diurnum, the puportedly white-chocolate-scented Day Blooming Jasmine, it was only last year I discovered a group of more colorful red and pink Cestrums. I hesitated to try these, because I could not find information on whether they shared the characteristic fragrance of the genus. These have recently come to my notice one once more, and during the spring plant I know you experience each year too no less.

CESTRUM ELEGANS 'SMITHII', or Pink Cestrum, is being offered on Ebay right now, at a very reasonable price.

The seller, who seems to be as knowledgeable as any on the subject of plants, (dogwooderitternet on Ebay) to my delight, describes them as fragrant. Can this be? Does anyone have experience growing Cestrum Elegans 'Smithii'?

Can you confirm its status as a fragrant plant?

Thank-you for your help!

Best wishes,

Matt Di Clemente

Comments (3)