Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just ordered a couple of fragrant Tillandsia...

Posted by botaniphile 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 1:17

I didn't even know of the existence of fragrant bromeliads until I read The Evening Garden, and now I've gone and ordered a Tillandsia duratii and a Tillandsia diaguitensis! There's tons of Spanish moss around here (who knew they also produce fragrant flowers?) and I've always been fascinated with it since I found out its a live plant and not the leftovers of something that had died :).

Both of these are supposed to be very fragrant and easy to grow (esp. here in zone 9), so I am pretty excited about them. They're also really cheap, so for all you people with a greenhouse, this might be an interesting addition to your collection!

I ordered them from Tropiflora, a Florida nursery mentioned in aforementioned book and also one I recognized from plant sales at USF's botanical gardens.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm excited!

I also have basically no experience with Tillandsia and would appreciate tips if anyone has any :)

Stephanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just ordered a couple of fragrant Tillandsia...

Dang it! You beat me to it! Laugh.

Congrats! I've always been curious about T. duratii and have almost ordered one countless times however knowing how large they get I somehow always restrain myself. ;)

Please let us know your thoughts on their scents when they bloom!

I always sniff the purple blooms of Tillandsia cyanea whenever I encounter one. :)

-Robert

o

I most definitely will! I can't wait for them to get here!

o

Augh! I need to stay away from you people.... I just ordered one today after seeing this! Enablers! :P

o

Sorry! Oh wait, no I'm not ;). It'll be worth it!

o

Ok, my duratii should be here next week, had an etsy issue with the seller so had to re-order from Amazon. Any cultivation tips? I am worried it will be too humid here in Orlando right now, will it be ok outside under my oak tree?

o

AFAIK, they have to come inside for winter here, but this little guy has been happy enough to make a pup while lounging in the crook of this Dracaena tree's trunk since spring. It has attached itself somehow, I can't see how, but I can't pick it up anymore. I had no idea there were fragrant Tills either! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've been enjoying mine!

o

" Tillie"
(Air Plants)

Sun kissing,
occasional light misting.
It's how they grow,
all one needs to know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here