Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluema_gw

Please help identify this fragrant flower - Jasmine?

bluema
15 years ago

Please help identify this flower. I took the photo at Ladera Resort in St. Lucia. The flowers had the most fragrant and heavenly scent that's to die for! After some search on the Internet, I've gathered that it might be some sort of Jasmine - Pink Jasmine or something else close to it. I'm no expert, and I hope someone with the expertise will be able to identify this beauty (please note the pink tinge and the leave size/pattern). Sorry the photo is a blur...

Comments (7)

• kandhi
    15 years ago

looks like it is Rangoon Creeper (Quiqualis indica
    ).Clusters of fragrant white pendulous trumpets open white then change to pink, red and finally a deep maroon.

• bluema
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG Kandhi - Thank you sooooo much!
    I think you're absolutely right! I did the image search and "Rangoon Creeper" looks exactly like my photo (leaves and all). Unfortunately, I ended up purchasing all kinds of jasmines... but I don't regret getting Jasminum sambac 'Maid of Orleans' - LOOOOVE the fragrance, just like finer Korean lilacs species. You solved the mystery I couldn't solve by contacting the hotel and countless hours of Internet search. Really appreciate your response.

• kandhi
    15 years ago

bluema, I think you can buy this from almost eden, rareflora online nurseries. the price seems to be reasonable.

• bluema
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kandhi,

Thanks - I've already placed an order before my last post. Wasn't too easy to find, and some nurseries even told me that it'll probably die at my zone (5-6). I got it anyhow, and we'll see if I could manage to keep it alive and have it bloom as a houseplant near a sunny window. The way I remember it, the flower scent was sooooo indescribably nice. Definitely different from my other favorites (roses, jasmine, lilacs, peony, gardenia, etc), but I fell in love with the plant at the first 'smell.' If anyone in my zone have a tip on how to keep this plant healthy & bloom, please let me know. Can't wait to get it - it'll arrive tomorrow!!!

• jimshy
    15 years ago

Bluema,

Yes, this is totally tropical and will not last through Thanksgiving Day in your zone, much less a full Michigan winter; if you can keep it outside for the summer and then prune it way back and bring it inside when the nighttime temps start dropping into the 50s, you'll have your best shot at keeping it happy. Also, it will get quick big, so you'll need a big pot eventually, and an annual root pruning. Good luck with it, and enjoy!

Jim

• shalinimunjal
    15 years ago

I had this plant growing up in Delhi. I've been looking for it in the nurseries here in VA. I'll have to keep it in a pot indoors. It grows very quickly and smells heavenly. Ours was atleast 15 feet high. I even remember it growing in public parks, etc. where it didn't get much care but it bloomed like crazy. I must get this.

• bluema
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shalinimunjal, I doubt you'd find it in local nurseries...
    I've got two plants (from two different online shops) and they seem to be doing ok. Seems like they're both a bit stunned, since I don't see new leave growing as fast as my Jasmines. My zone is still fluctuating to low 60s in temperature so I keep them inside for now at a south-east window. Can't wait for them to start blooming. I pretty much forgot how it smelled except remembering that I went crazy for it at the time. The entire Dasheen outdoor dining area at Ladera was filled with the fragrance waifing through the night air. I would've gone back to Ladera just to smell the flowers again, except now I've got them at home thanks to this forum!