Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who has Jasminum odoratissimum?

Posted by kemistry 8 - Oregon (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 1:46

Beautiful yellow flowers that are said to have a fruity scent & "highly fragrant".
Could someone comment on the fragrance of this jasmine? Thanks! :)

A picture on Flick:

(source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nostri-imago/3504773944/)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who has Jasminum odoratissimum?

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
    Fri, May 27, 11 at 16:16

Funny you should ask!

I've been jonesing for this one for years after seeing one at a local botanic garden sale, and not buying it -- Cistus Nursery has 'em and does mail order; mine just got here a couple of days ago, with a few buds intact!

I'll let folks know how it smells when they open, but for now, I can report from what I've read that this species is pretty variable when it comes to fragrance -- some have it, some don't -- and there's even a theory that it used to be more fragrant, hence the name, but that somehow the fragrance was lost in breeding. Hmmm, we'll see.

Jim

o
RE: Who has Jasminum odoratissimum?

Thanks Jim!!! Please do update on the scent, if it's worth it I'll make a trip to Cistus..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here