Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Telosma cordata (Pakalana, Perfume vine) Seeds for trade

Posted by jcreef 10 (My Page) on
Thu, May 28, 09 at 1:59

Hey everyone, I am posting this here as there is not a fragrant plant exchange forum :(

My Telosma cordata vine set it's first seed pod after many years of growing it - I am very excited to say the least!!
I JUST picked the seeds today and am wanting to trade them while they are still super fresh. This is a wonderful vine and the flowers smell like heaven - perfume for the garden ;) It's not a common plant, i'm sure all you fragrant plants nuts will adore it.

I am looking for any Michelias, I already have a huge champaca (the common yellow one) But will love to trade for any of the other Michelia species.

email me at ReefAgents@Bellsouth.net

Thanks and Happy Growing!!
-Jc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Telosma cordata (Pakalana, Perfume vine) Seeds for trad

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 10:46

Wow, congrats on setting seed on your telosma! I'm totally jealous, because this plant is one of my all-time high failures -- have killed at least 3 different plants, never got one to bloom, much less set seed -- though I wouldn't call myself a bad gardener otherwise!

so my first question is, how do you grow it? Any special treatment?

Second question, for clarification's sake, is are you asking for michelia seeds in exchange for telosma seeds, or are you hoping for cuttings? (I doubt you'd get many takers willing to trade a decent-sized tree for seeds, however unusual). The reason I ask is, it's my understanding most tropical michelias, including champaca, alba, and figo, are commonly propagated by air-layering, as both regular cuttings and seed germination are difficult, and it takes years for a seed-grown plant to start flowering.

Some of the more temperate species, like michelia yunnanensis (now labelled magnolia dianica) are easier from seed, even though the seedlings are quite variable.

I really don't mean to throw cold water on anybody's trade hopes, but just wanted to make sure you knew about the options for michelias.

Final confession -- michelias are another abject failure of mine, so if anyone's get a michelia to trade, just don't tell me! ;>)

Cheers,

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here