Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Artabotrys hexapetalus from seed?

Posted by sambacmouse (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 2:34

Has anyone tried to grow this species from seed? I've got some fresh fruits from a plant. I would like to know how long they would take to germinate. I'm planning on cleaning the seed and putting it about a 1/4 inch deep in seed raising mix with bottom heat applied.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Artabotrys hexapetalus from seed?

What you have planned thus far seems fine. In my zone 10, the seeds can take 3 wks to a couple months. The fact that your seeds are fresh is good. Keep the soil moist.

o

trini1,

Thank you very much! Now I can go ahead and plant them out. I can't wait to see them pop, fingers crossed. With seeds I either get too many sprouting or none at all :)

o

Hi,

I am in Karachi, Pakistan, and will wait to hear from you as to how long it took for them to sprout. I have heard that they germinate readily here and it takes a year to a year-and-a-half for them to start flowering! But still, they are rare, slow growing and difficult to find. I have found a couple of nurseris that have them between 6 to 9+ feet, full of blooms, and costing around $47 to $59, which is very expensive out here.

o

Hi Tariq,

I will let you know what happens, thanks for the information. They are almost impossible to find in Australia, that is why I am growing from seed.

o

finally my artabotrys seed sprouted. It took 6 months. my big plant had seeds last oct. now one seed sprouted. I am so excited to see it.

o

Thanks for that information bunti, that's quite a long time to wait, I probably would have chucked them out after 4 months or so. I waited 4 months for a fagraea berteriana seed to sprout once and thought that was a long time.

o

Are the Artabotrys hexapetalus and Artabotrys odoratissima the same plant and only reffered to by different names ?
Thank you all, James.

o

After about 8 months on the heat mat and still nothing, I chucked them out into the glasshouse and forgot about them. About 2 weeks ago I noticed about 5 seedlings coming up. I can't believe how long these seeds took to germinate, I was so happy to see them though.

Over 1.5 years to germinate! Crazy.

o

That's hilarious that you gave up on them and then they decided to germinate! Congrats!
Now you'll have to tell us how long it takes before you get any blooms. ;)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 9:53

o

sambacmouse,

thats great news. Atleast your sprouted sooner than mine.
It takes really long time to sprout. I am from southern part of india. You can get these plants for quater doller(25C).In 2-3 years they start bloming. I grow up with this plant and i love them. I never knew that there are different varieties like Artabotrys hexapetalus and Artabotrys odoratissima.

o

Hi Robert and Bunti,

I will let you know when they start to flower, but I hope the fragrance is worth the wait of another 2 to 3 years. Oh well I am committed to this now.

o

sambacmouse , Thanks for following up and give us a feedback.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here