Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sambacmouse

Growing Artabotrys hexapetalus from seed?

sambacmouse
12 years ago

Has anyone tried to grow this species from seed? I've got some fresh fruits from a plant. I would like to know how long they would take to germinate. I'm planning on cleaning the seed and putting it about a 1/4 inch deep in seed raising mix with bottom heat applied.

Comments (14)

• trini1trini
    12 years ago

What you have planned thus far seems fine. In my zone 10, the seeds can take 3 wks to a couple months. The fact that your seeds are fresh is good. Keep the soil moist.

• sambacmouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

trini1,

Thank you very much! Now I can go ahead and plant them out. I can't wait to see them pop, fingers crossed. With seeds I either get too many sprouting or none at all :)

• taariqq_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi,

I am in Karachi, Pakistan, and will wait to hear from you as to how long it took for them to sprout. I have heard that they germinate readily here and it takes a year to a year-and-a-half for them to start flowering! But still, they are rare, slow growing and difficult to find. I have found a couple of nurseris that have them between 6 to 9+ feet, full of blooms, and costing around $47 to $59, which is very expensive out here.

• sambacmouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tariq,

I will let you know what happens, thanks for the information. They are almost impossible to find in Australia, that is why I am growing from seed.

• bunti
    12 years ago

finally my artabotrys seed sprouted. It took 6 months. my big plant had seeds last oct. now one seed sprouted. I am so excited to see it.

• sambacmouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for that information bunti, that's quite a long time to wait, I probably would have chucked them out after 4 months or so. I waited 4 months for a fagraea berteriana seed to sprout once and thought that was a long time.

• majestic
    12 years ago

Are the Artabotrys hexapetalus and Artabotrys odoratissima the same plant and only reffered to by different names ?
    Thank you all, James.

• sambacmouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After about 8 months on the heat mat and still nothing, I chucked them out into the glasshouse and forgot about them. About 2 weeks ago I noticed about 5 seedlings coming up. I can't believe how long these seeds took to germinate, I was so happy to see them though.

Over 1.5 years to germinate! Crazy.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

That's hilarious that you gave up on them and then they decided to germinate! Congrats!
    Now you'll have to tell us how long it takes before you get any blooms. ;)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 9:53

• sambacmouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Robert and Bunti,

I will let you know when they start to flower, but I hope the fragrance is worth the wait of another 2 to 3 years. Oh well I am committed to this now.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

sambacmouse , Thanks for following up and give us a feedback.

• Smita Deshmukh
    2 years ago

Can I soak them in water before sowing? They look like fruits. Should I remove the fleshy covering before sowing them into soil ? Could someone please tell in what type of soil should these seeds be sowed?

• jasmine UKzone9a
    2 years ago

@Smita Deshmukh I also got my artabotrys seeds recently. my long journey of propagation just begin. good luck with yours.