Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recent Flowers...

Posted by radhavall z10fl (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 8:18

Some of the bloomers this year...

Swamp Lily, Crinum jagus... soft floral fragrance. 4-5 years in waiting..

Photobucket

Crinum Jagus. Swamp Lily, St Christopher Lily

Encyclia sps.. forgot the species name, big spike and beautiful color combination, intensely , sweetly fragrant. took me by surprise. I was taking a picture of another flower and could not find where the sweet smell was coming from. i was very happy to note how sweetly fragrat it is. Much better than the Brassalova nodosa and the chocolate orchid.

Encyclia sps, very fragrant

Photobucket

Hosta in south florida!! 3rd year in blooming. Soft fragrance. will post picture again when the spike blooms.

Photobucket

Desmos chenensis.. prolific bloomer, somewhat of a musty smell..

Photobucket

Desmos Chinenesis

Tecomaria with Stephanotis hiding below..

Tecomaris Capensis,orange, along with Stephanoitis

Madagaskar Jasmine. Stephanotis floribunda

Maxillaria tenuifolia, coconut orchid, smells really of coconut, love the slightly fragrant oily smell!!

Coconut orchid, fragrant, smells light coconut flavor!! Maxillaria tenuifolia.

Photobucket

Tuberose garden/plants.

Tuberose plants, hopefully all will bloom, single and double variety.

Tuberose flower.Single

Catteleya Hawaiian wedding song, pristine white flower, (maybe not so prisitne when closely looking at the flower), soft typical catteleya fragrance. Reliable bloomer.

Catteleya, Hawaiian wedding song, soft floral fragrance.

Photobucket

Jasmine Malipikul from thailand, blooms nicely, but I am disappointed as the fragrance is not what I expected.Does not appear to be the typical Jasmine fragrance so far..

Photobucket

Photobucket

remember my twig from TT... 8 months and a hard winter later..

Photobucket

Grand duke supreme, from TT

Whereas the GDS from thailand..

GDS from Thailand

Few other assorted..
Schomburkia Albapurpura.. Beautiful color combination Simple and elegant at the same time.

Schomburghkia Alba purpura

Photobucket

Vanda, forgot the name, reliable bloomer.

Unknown Vanda..

Photobucket

again lost tag blooms continously for me and is always a stunner with color and pattern..

Lost tag...

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recent Flowers... few others, not fragrant, but unique.

Hopefully you all will enjoy..

Rhyncostylis gigantica..

Photobucket

Rhyncostylis, flower closeup.

Crossandra, blueish green color, a very rare color in flowers, no fragrance unfortunately.. with Rhyncostylis...

Bluish green Crossandra called Neelambaram with Rhyncostylis.

Bluish green Crossandra, Rare color in flowers.

Rhyncostylis...

Bleeding heart, beautiful vine and flowers appear to be in layers..
Bleeding Heart, Clerodendrum thomsoniae

Photobucket

Crinum Ellen bosanquet.. quite a show stopper...

Crinum, Ellen Bosanquet.

Photobucket

Thanks for looking.

o
RE: Recent Flowers...

Aw it's that time of the year again.. thanks for the pictures :)

So it is the GDS that the Thai seller is selling...now you've made me wanting to order it. Is this plant more vigorous and fragrant than the regular GD for you?

o

By the looks of it, it does appear GDS. My grand dukes are in the ground and are very robust plants with big blooms. GDS is in the pot,in 511 mix and is also growing well. To me though grand duke flowers are bigger so far. may be it is the size of the plants. M.pikul from thailand is not that fragrant though.

o

Radha, Beautiful pics, Can you post the pics of both TT and Thai's GDS flowers when they bloom. I think the one I have is GDS that I got from one of my friends who does not remember where she got the plant. Her plant is 4ft tall and it is a vigorous in growth than regular GDS. The flowers are closer to 2inch size look like miniature roses.

o

How would you describe the scent of the Stephanotis, Radha? I read that it smells similar to the sambac, does it?

o

Hi, radha. Beautiful! Your TT twig fared a lot better than mine did :(.

The yellow encyclia with the lovely scent is Encyclia alata. Just a lovely plant and wonderful scent.

I love that bleeding heart vine-- very graceful.

o

Kemistry, Stephanoitis has a soft floral fragrance. It is not overwhelming for me, like Gardenia or night bloomig Jasmine. I like it. This is the first year blooming. As the guy who was pruning cut of many growing ends, I had few flowers only.I don't know yet how it will be if there are tens of blooms.

Mehitabel, Thanks for the identification on the Encyclia. I love the smell. Bleeding heart is a beautiful vine. It is not unruly, unfortunately it blooms only once a year.

Kandhi, I was late to get to the pictures on the GDS. But I have to say the one from TT appears to have the form of your posted flowers. The edges of the flowers you posted are somewhat angular compared to those of the regular GD. I am yet to get a decent flower from the Thai specimen although it had lots of blooms. The flowers I will have to wait to say.
The Mali pikul (lotus shape flower)fragrance is very soft, but this is the first year. Mali chat flower though is very small, and I am not sure if it worth getting from Thailand.

o

Gorgeous specimens you've got there. I especially love that blue green Crossandra. I've only seen it is orange.

We have a tree here that is related to your bleeding heart vine, the scent is fantastic. Clerodendrum trichotomum, known as Harlequin Glorybower. I can smell my neighbor's without planting one.

o

So glad you mentioned hosta as being fragrant. It's been my experience that the purple-flowered ones rarely have much fragrance, but the white-flowered ones smell incredible! I'm guessing yours blooms white.

o

Thanks buyorsell888,and purpleinopp.
some Clerodendrums are fragrant. I have Clerodendrum cashmere bouquet. it has a musty smell, I don't know if I can call it fragrant. As it has runners, I grow it in a pot now.
Hosta I have is fragrant, and is white.

o

Beautiful pictures Radha. Thanks for sharing... Love turquoise crossandra.... Have been looking for that for a while now, Do you remember where you got it from? Thanks.

Sushmita

o

I believe I got it from TT many years ago, when they were still in Davie. It was 30-40 min drive for me then. I am not sure if they have it now. I too love the color of the flower. I have not seen this particular color with any other flower.

o

Thanks Radha. Checked their site... I don't think they are selling them now. Does it seed? I saw pictures of your last year blooms too... They are beautiful. Reminds me of India...:-)

o

Sushmita,
It does seed. I have not seen the seed though. I only know that as they do come up here and there. They are not invasive however. I have to look around, but I may be able to send you one if you prefer for postage and UPS packing charges, if you don't find any online....

o

• Posted by mrao77 TX US zone 7 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 21:00

Beautiful flowers, Radha! It certainly reminds me of India when I think about the lovely frangnace of Jasmines and Crossandra. I used to have a green one (aka Pachambara)that I grew from seed, but did not make it through to the next year. My Yellow crossandra never seeded, and my orange self seeds. Not sure why?
If you can spare a couple of seedlings of the green crossandra, please let me know. I will gladly send postage. Please email me with your address so I can send postage.
Thank you so much,
Malini

o

Thanks Radha. Would love to have a seedling if and when you have an extra one... will be glad to send postage. I will keep looking for it online too. I started red crossandra from seeds couple of years ago that I got from Andhra... They have really taken off this winter(Am not even sure what I did right this time around...:-)) They are around 5 feet tall in a container.

o

Sushmita and Malini,
I think I will be able to send to both of you. I will check and let you both know. Then you can send me addresses..
Malini, I will try to send your Parijatha/Nyctanthes with it also.

regards..

o

• Posted by mrao77 TX US zone 7 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 21:34

Thank you, Radha! I really appreciate it.

Sushmita, can you spare a few seeds/seedlings of the red crossandra? I have not come across that color, would be lovely!
If I remember corectly, we swapped plants a couple of years ago - bay leaf plant and curry leaf plant. Am I correct? The GW page does not have a link to your email..if you get a chance, please email me and we can get back in touch again :)

happy gardening!

o

Sure Malini I can send few seeds as soon as they are ready. This variety is delicate compare to regular ones. Yes, we did swap plants few years ago. Unfortunately I killed that and few more curry leaf plants.... I cannot seem to keep one alive...:-( Hope your bay leaf made it.

Sushmita

o

Malini, Can you send me your address, have some red crossandra seeds. smatta@yahoo.com.
Thanks
Sushmita

o

Lovely pics there Radhavall. :)

o

Malini and Sushmita,

Can you please send me your addresses to my email.
Thanks..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here