Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac problem

Posted by larry42 Mass (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 8:48

Why, do you suppose, desn't my 5 foot tall, 3 year old bushy lilac bush which is in a sunny, well drained but moist location, never flower? This year, for the 1st time, the whole top portion is covered with dark, tight buds which don't open up, Thanks, Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac problem

Larry:

Have you checked the pH of your soil? The soil around these parts tends to be on the acidic side. Not enough for azaleas to thrive in my yard in which I have to add some, and yet too much for plants that like sweet soil to thrive.

The very same thing happened to mine until I found out they were growing in an acidic soil. So I threw a lot of lime in around the roots mixed with super phosphate in the spring so they could spend all summer making energy to produce buds for the following year, and I have been getting tons of flowers ever since.

I have not done it again for the past couple of years and I think I should do it again since it is suppose to rain like crazy for days. In fact, you reminded me to do it again.

They love sweet soil and actually thrive in it. If growing in acidic soil, they will focus primarily on leaf growth and abort flowers if they even produce any.

Mike from Mass:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here