Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olympia_gardener

What is blooming in May?

olympia_gardener
11 years ago

In my garden , my Iris start to bloom today. waft, light, pleasant scent. I love it. Poney and Sweet william is about to bloom in a week or so, can't wait.

Would anyone share some pictures of what is blooming in the garden ?

Comments (26)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Hi Olympia!

Great Thread. We could use some inspiration and action on this forum. ;)

I took a few pictures on my lunch today to share.
    My Sinningia tubiflora, Passiflora mooreana and Sunrise Scentiment Begonia all have flower buds forming but haven't bloomed yet. I'll try to share those when they bloom. :)

My current fav is my large Chinese Perfume Plant (Aglaia odorata) that I got from Amazon last year. Tons of flower buds forming and some in bloom. Smells Awesome!

My little Innocence Mock Orange (Philadelphus 'Innocence') is loaded with flowers this year! So far the scent is not as great as my 'Snowbelle' but the flowers are much larger. The scent sort of reminds me of Juicy Fruit gum.
    The Mock Orange is on the ground in front of my Brunfelsia gigantea (which has been blooming and smelling wonderful!) and my Jasminum nitidum.

And last my Snowbelle Mock Orange has been blooming its head off this year. It's winding down but still smells great!

-Robert

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Wow that Snowbelle looks amazing! The nitidum is full of buds and everything else is so green! Nice! :o)

11 years ago

Thanks, Kemistry! You'll have to share your Brunfelsia gigantea pics when your 7 buds bloom. :)

• fenius
    11 years ago

I have my old jasmine blooming..

and some new ones that had their first bloom
    j.beesianum

trachelospermum asiaticum

and then there is the stephanotis

and finally my chamelaucium which smells like honey..

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great pictures!!

Robert, I can see a lot of flower buds on your Chinese Perfume tree. Once it is in full bloom, the room will be filled with wonderful scent. The mock orange snowbelle is covered with flowers. I am thinking add a mock orange in my yard next year. This year I added a summersweet.
    I have a Brunfelsia America. Do you know Brunfelsia gigantea has stronger scent or B. America has stronger scent?
    fenius, your old jasmine looks great!. I have few jasmine that I can't wait for them to bloom like yours.
    I had a trachelospermum asiaticum just like yours from Logge's but it died when I repot it. Apprearant, it does not look its root to be disturbed. Logge's also said don't put any fertilizer in the poting mix when repot. Logge send me a replacement but it was wrong kind, they send me the "pink Showers". I am still waiting for my trachelospermum asiaticum to arrive. I have a large stephanotis plant that i grew for years, and am struggling to have it bloom. It is myster to me why some of stephanotis bloom so easy some never bloom.
    your chamelaucium looks like very nice. I like its size and texture. Is it a some kind of heathers? is its scent waft?

• fenius
    11 years ago

Hi olympia, the chamelaucium is an australian plant related to leptospermum ecc in the myrtle family, I cannot say that its scent wafts but my plant is very small still and I have a huge honeysuckle blooming as well so that covers all other fragrances for now!
    I'm not sure about the trachelospermum asiaticum's scent too, it reminds me a little of wet soil but maybe it's too soon to say, it just had its first flower!
    I'm now thinking about trying a styrax japonicus plant and a wrightia religiosa but I'm still searching the cultivars

11 years ago

Olympia,

I don't own B. americana although I would love to smell it some day.

Fenius,

I was wondering what you thought of T. asiaticum's scent! Your description made me laugh. I used to adore the scent until a friend thought it smelled of tobacco and now it's never smelled quite the same but I'm starting to love it again. ;)

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Those are some lovely plants everyone! Really enjoyed those pics.

Robert, you grow some amazing specimens!
    Fenius, thanks for sharing especially the Chamelaucium, I've never heard of this before and it looks so unique I may consider getting it.

I've gone a rose spree and one of my new favorites is 'Sweet Chariot' for it's glorious scent and compact size. I've never smelled anything like it before. It's described as a damask scent. I personally describe it as woodsy (perhaps cedar) + jasmine.

Gardenia 'Kleim's Hardy'

I don't remember if this is J. tortuosum or J. volubile, but it smells exactly like the jasmine oil found in those reed diffusers. I have both species and the other should be opening soon too; They do look awfully similar.

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Great pictures, everyone!

ah Sweet Chariot.. i used to have her :'( Now Musaboru, you need to get an 'electric lady'.. i heard she's super fragrant! :)

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Here's a picture of my freesia! Love the scent! :)

{{gwi:793219}}

11 years ago

Those are a gorgeous color, Kemistry!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Kemistry. And the color of that freesia is indeed gorgeous.

The other jasmine bloomed and I believe this one is J. volubile (or Wax Jasmine). As for the scent, I suppose it might be heavenly to some folks, but to my nose it smells very musky; a lot like Paperwhite Narcissus.

11 years ago

Musaboru,

Thank you for the compliment.
    I'm glad you're giving us descriptions of all your jasmine scents. I'm tempted to try some of the ones you're growing but now I might do some more research. ;)

-Robert

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Musabora, that 'Sweet Chariot' looks awuful good!. I like the Wax jasmine too. Is it strong waft scented , like Sambac or just lightly scent, you have to put nose close enough to smell it?? I just give away one of my orchid to a friend as gift so I have room for another Jasmine.

Outdoor plants start to bloom in May. I have Iris, Sweet william blooming. I love this Iris, the scents is so enchanting, just want more of it. Sweet William truly lives up to its name, sweet scents, stronger later afternoon than in the morning.

Geranian

Sweet Williams:

Golden Fish plant. blooms all year long indoor, low light requirement, easy care:

slef-invited, but I'll let it stay:

This one, pink color is not the flower, but pretty as flower:

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Wow, Wow, and WOW!!!! Your plants all look so awesome everyone!

Let me see what I can add and I have a question for Robert!

Robert, where did you get that Snowbell Mock Orange? I LOVE it. It really smells good? By the way, great to hear your Brunsfelsia has been flowering! I remember you being concerned about it no flowering.

Musa: Where do you get a sweet Chariot!? I want one. Lovely and it smells like a must.

Would you all believe that I had no idea that IRIS of all plants had a fragrance until I smelled one this weekend at the nursery. I bought it.lol

Beautiful plants all and even better because they all have a scent!

Mike

• khabbab
    11 years ago

Well it is more than 110F here and only few plants are flowering.

Moon flower
    {{gwi:793190}}

Cestrum Dirinium

Sweet almond verbena
    {{gwi:793192}}

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also like the color of Kemistry's freesia. He always come up somthing a bit different.

I heard Yellow Flag has very strong fragrant too, it will be nice plant some right next to my blue iris to have some contrast color.
    Meyermike, if you like the kind iris I have in the picture, let me know i can ship you some roots.

11 years ago

Olympia,

I love the Sweet William pics! I should grow some next year. Thank you for sharing.

Khabbab,

I love your pics! I'm glad you've got some blooms in such extreme heat.
    How do you like the Cestrum scent?
    The skippers on the Sweet Almond Verbena make me want to grow it. :)

Mike,

I got my Snowebelle Mock Orange at a local nursery in Tulsa (the owner recommended it over other varieties) however I've seen it for sell online through many nurseries.
    It takes a week or so before the flowers develop a scent and they do indeed smell good. Scent didn't waft this year as much as it did last year so I suggest planting it where you can walk up to it to sniff. :)

Yes. My Brunfelsia gigantea has been blooming its head off. I love the scent however it is aptly named. That sucker gets HUGE! Don't know if I'll cut it back in the fall or give it away since I don't have room inside for it.
    Still waiting on B. lactea and densifolia to bloom.
    Got an 'Isola' from Logee's this spring but it's tiny so I'm not expecting much from it until next year. ;)

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pics Muhammad!

Olympia, yes, I really have to put my nose up to the Wax Jasmine. For me, it doesn't waft at all but then J. sambac doesn't always either 'cos it's too arid and the wind blows the essential oils away. YMMV.

Mike, I got Sweet Chariot from High Country Roses. It's sold out from most places unfortunately. Burlington Roses might have it available later in the summer.

• khabbab
    11 years ago

@robert1971, the cestrum diurnum scent is good but not as strong as the nocturnum. The sweet almond verbena is a must for fragrant garden. The almond scent is so sweet and overpowering.I heard there is also sweet lemon verbena, looking for it.

Another very fragrant bush in my garden is Radermachera Kunming, tree jasmine. But it drops its flowers very early in the morning for me, will share its pics too.

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

khabbab, I had same question as Robert has. Thanks for your answers. BTW great pictures. I saw that butterfly lovess the Sweet Almond Verbena. Did you have experiences of growing Korean Spicy Verneba? Korean Spicy Verneba can grow outdoor here. I am wondering if anyone can offer comparison of flower scents with sweet almond verbena. Please post a Radermachera Kunming picture when you have it. I ordered one but has not come yet and love to see its mature size and shape. How easy to grow tree jasmine ?

musaboru, Thanks for your comments on the wax jasmine. Is you J. tortuosum or J. volubile waft? I love to have that Sweet Chariot. I like your decsription of its scents and compact size. I will need to check the hardiness.

Robert, you must have extremely green thumb! I almost think you an allien from Mars. If you trim your Brunfelsia gigantea this fall, I would love to have some cuttings. You know, one of these days I will break down and buy another C. Alba juast by looking at your post and reading it "grow like weeds". I just love its scents.

• fenius
    11 years ago

Khabbab,
    I've been looking for Aloysia virgata, but in europe it is not common at all apparently, would you care to send me a few cuttings when you prune it?? If by sweet lemon verbena you mean aloysia triphylla/lippia citriodora I can send you one if you want I have many!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Olympia,
    Jasminum volubile = Wax Jasmine. J. tortuosum smells a tad stronger and I suspect it may be at least slightly wafty in a humid climate but it doesn't waft for me (too arid here).

Sweet Chariot has a very different scent from the Hybrid Tea roses we're all so familiar with because it's lineage is descended from the antique roses which carries the damask scent. Just a caveat, I have read that the scent can come and go and I've experience that but it was fragrant most of the time for me. This is may be a good wafter when established it is covered in an abundance of flower sprays.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Olympia, thank you so much for your kind offer. I e-mailed you. I have to say once again, beautiful! It looks as if they would smell like grape juice!

Musaboru. Thank you:-)

Robert..lol I hear you on that. every time I want to cut mine, I keep getting new blooms.

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here are more flowers blooming:
    Petunia, sweet scent but you have to be very close to it to smell the fragrant:

Dahlia, easy to over winter indoor:

Peoney, come with the mortgage. But I like it. It has nice scent.

Climbing rose start to bloom, a lot of flower buds.

Finally, Epi. grand size and beautiful color, started to open yesterday.
    {{gwi:590323}}

Enjoy the May flowers!

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last day of May report: add few that I missed. Peony and rose is in full bloom; Iris is on its last leg; Sweet Wiliam is still going strong. Pinks just started, I will count it as June bloom. Petuia, Snapdragons are all flowering like no tomorrow.

khabbab,Does your Cestrum Dirinium have smaller leaves? I was invited to my neighbor's house for Memorial Day cook out, and noticed that their Night Blooming Jasmine plant has much smaller leaves. We ended up put two pots together and compared the leave size. Mine is twice larger. I was told theirs came directly from Philippean many years ago.

I am wondering if the Night Blooming Jasmine has differnt varieties? Maybe theirs is actually Cestrum Dirinium? I was told theirs flower is white. Supposely, I can wait till it blooms, but I just can't wait. If it is not Cestrum Dirinium, and indeed a different type of Cestrum nocturnum , I might ask for some cuttings from my neighbor.

Meyer lemon:

Daylily:

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living