Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

My Brunfelsia and others are doing it again! Flowers & pics

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I really wanted to stop by and say hello to everyone! It's been a crazy year with injuries and the like.

I hope everyone is doing ok. It feels good to be able to walk this time around and properly care for my plants:-)

Here is a few pics I took yesterday to feast on.

Orchid

{{gwi:793273}}

Meyer Lemon

{{gwi:793274}}

Hoya that has flowered for the first time

{{gwi:793275}}

Alba flowering and in bud

{{gwi:793276}}

{{gwi:793279}}

{{gwi:793280}}

VERY, very sweet smelling old fashion Petunia

{{gwi:793281}}

And then my Brunsfelsia that never disappoints me month after month!

{{gwi:793282}}

{{gwi:793283}}

{{gwi:793284}}

Hope you are all well.

Mike

Comments (8)

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Mike, Good to hear that you are doing well. These are beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting them. You certainly take very good care of the plants. Your Alba indeed grow very well. it is a very challenge plant for me to grow, failed and am afraid to try it again. The scent of Alba flowers is one of my favorite. What is your secret of growing Alba so well?

BTW the Petunia you have, is it kinda special Petunia ? I read many times from this forum that Petunia has sweet scents, but I have never found one in store ( HD, Lowe's etc.) has any scents. I am the the one who smell the flowers before I buy it. Now you mention its scent again, I just have to ask this question.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Hey Mike! Good to see you back and doing better. Looks like you're doing it right. Those plants are blooming their heads off. :D I was curious on how do you like the Alba?

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Gorgeous photos Mike! I love love love and love the Alba photos. I need to make room and save up some money for one. lol. :o)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Awesome pics, Mike! Thanks for sharing. Glad you're feeling better.
    Is that Hoya australis ssp. australis from Logee's? I just got one but no blooms yet. How do you like its fragrance? I've read it smells like sweet vanilla.

This forum is terrible for enabling. I know one day I'm going to break down and order a Michelia x alba. Laugh.

I'm jealous of your old fashioned petunia. I'm growing my second crop from seed from Seed Savers Exchange. My first batch got devastated by cutworms. :(

-Robert

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Just beautiful, Mike! Great photos of great flowers! I hope to have my own photo album filled up shortly... I'll be sure to send you the link.

Thanks for sharing! :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, thanks everyone!

You know, it is so nice to know others whom have an appreciation for these types of plants like us or even care enough to express concern for my health. Funny how you find more of that here than here at my home.

Jodi: It is so nice to see you! What an honor to have you stop by. Thank you so much:-)

Hey Robert. How have you been? How are your plants doing? How is your Bruns? Boy, do you have an eye for Hoya. Yes that is exactly what it is and I did get it at Logees's. I have had it for two years this summer and it finally flowered. It smells more like a chocolate than vanilla.

That Alba I got from Logee's when it was only six inches high last year. I LOVE it! I am so sorry about your petunias. Oh, the smell is sweet and heavenly!

Kemistry! You are way too funny. I thought you would of had one by now.lol

Musa: Thanks so much. I like the Alba but it's fragrance is a bit disappointing. It does have the strong sweet smell like the parent plant had. It's ok though:-)
    A real must, right?lol

Olympia" Thank you and thank you!
    The key is a good draining mix and watering with fresh water. I think they hate tap water on a regular basis because of the salts in it and I feed heavily and regularly! I don't expose it to full strong sunlight but under a tree or under a bug screen in the greenhouse, and I never let a strong wind get to it.

I hope this helps:-)

Again, thanks everyone. It is so good to see you all again! I do miss Butterfly these days. I wonder how she is doing?

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Mike,

As usual, your plants look fantastic. I don't know which I like best.

I've never heard of Alba before, but it's sure good-looking. Is it fragrant, too?

How much light does your Brunfelsia get? Direct? Full?

I detect the fragrance...umm, so fresh, sweet and clean. :)

Is the Petunia new? Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, Mike! Good to see you all!
    Just stopping in to enjoy all these pics!

Josh

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm