Jasmines from India

flowers_galore
9 years ago

I will attempt another post.

This post was edited by radhavall on Sat, May 10, 14 at 17:14

Comments (83)

• kandhi
    9 years ago

Angel-face, Beautiful pristine white blooms! Where did you get the plant? I am looking for an online source for this one.

• misha74
    9 years ago

Angel-face, flowers are gorgeous but I'd like to know what's the secret for dark green foliage?

This post was edited by misha74 on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 4:35

• angel-face
    9 years ago

Flowers have 3 levels of petals. Got it from a local nursery in Mumbai, not online.
    I thought this variety always has dark green leaves.... Anyways, its a newly bought plant which came with such leaves... I haven't really done anything for that.

• angel-face
    9 years ago

More pics

• angel-face
    9 years ago

1 more

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Wow! That is one amazing jasmine you have there! I can only hope that someday this flower will be available here. Thanks for sharing!
    Andrew

• angel-face
    9 years ago

My Udipi mallige has flowered. Its fragrance is different than BOI or Arabian jasmine, being more intense and with added citrus notes. Could be too strong for some. I liked the fragrance of BOI over mallige, though BOI's is not as strong, it has a better character with more pleasant notes.

• angel-face
    9 years ago

Here is the plant Udipi mallige

• bunti
    9 years ago

Here is my plant with few blooms

• bunti
    9 years ago

Flowers are opening for the first time.

• bunti
    9 years ago

few more pics

• bunti
    9 years ago

in the photo they look like BOI. but in real they are not looking like BOI.

this variety had buds before, but never opened. This is the first time, they are opening.

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Where did you get yours bunti? That's pretty. :)

• angel-face
    9 years ago

Such pretty flowers.. What variety is it?

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Hi guys/girls i am pretty new to growing Jasmines and i was just wondering if this is normal! my jasmine grand duke of tuscany flowers turn almost purple is this just how the flowers are when they go over or is this due to cold? thanks

• angel-face
    9 years ago

Radha, can u please tell me how big J. molle grows? I wish to buy one for my balcony container garden. Do you have a pic of one grown in container?

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fragrant,
    I see that on Grand duke all the time.. I do see that even when it is not cold. I am not sure of the reason. I will keep an eye coming blooming season and will let you know..

Angel,
    J. Molle is a vine and can grow as much as you will let it. If you want it in a container garden,then you can prune it to keep under 4-5 feet.. it is a beautiful vine and even more fragrant and beautiful flower..

• angel-face
    9 years ago

Thank Radha, I just got a new J. molle last week... It is still adjusting to its new habitat.

• kandhi
    8 years ago

Has anyone had any luck finding mail order source to order plants posted by angelface and bunti above in this post?

• phoebe368
    8 years ago

I got my sambacs from Almost Eden. Almostedenplants dot com is the website. Do a search of "sambac" they have mysore muilli, belle of india, duke of tuscany etc.

• kandhi
    8 years ago

phoebe, I do have belle of india & mysore mulli that I ordered for Almost eden few years back. The pic postings above are jasmine varieties that are not named. The Jasmine belle of india we get in US is different than what angelface posted above. I am specifically looking for online sources to order those.

• angel-face
    8 years ago

Hi Kandhi. Its been about a year that I have them now. One of the plants is the famous Udipi mallige. Initially I had found its fragrance too strong, but now I'm in love with it. Its fragrance wafts a lot and fills the room. Leaves and buds are quite elongated. Sending you some recent pics.

• angel-face
    8 years ago

Sorry, same pic thrice

• angel-face
    8 years ago

• angel-face
    8 years ago

And the other one is known as Madan-baan mogra here. It is very floriferous and pretty with large 1.5 to 2 inch flowers. Fragrance is mild.

• angel-face
    8 years ago

Petals are in three layers.

• angel-face
    8 years ago

• fruits_veggies
    8 years ago

Angel face, pretty flowers.

I think you live in India, right? did you get both these jasmines from nurseries?

Thanks

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think I have seen these plants at my mothers' place in Hyderabad , India

• kandhi
    8 years ago

Beautiful plants angel face, if only we could find a source to order these in USA, I would love to add this jasmine variety to my collection. Thanks for sharing.

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hopefully the links load

One is almost with 5 layers!!

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am posting them from India, sorry for the repeats!!

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This one looks like J mole, but is for sure is of the sambcs type and is likely the same posted above in the first pics of angel face... I may have received the same or similar plant from Bunty last year' which was from India also!! These photos are upside down as usual!!

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will try soon to get better pics if I have time .. The one with 5 layers is similar to BOI but is with better form and intoxicating fragrance..

• kandhi
    8 years ago

Amazing Radha, they are absolutely stunning, specially the belle of india 5 layer one! Wish there is an online ordering source from India to order these. Thanks for sharing, and have a great time!

• angel-face
    8 years ago

wow radha... The 5 layered one is so beautiful.

• angel-face
    8 years ago

fruits -veggies, Yes I live in India. I got both plants from nursery.

• Ivan Ferdous
    8 years ago

What we need to do is source these and have rooted cuttings :)

• bunti
    8 years ago

please check ebay

• Ivan Ferdous
    8 years ago

For cuttings? @bunti

• fruits_veggies
    8 years ago

Hi Angel Face, could you please share the nursery details. thx

• kandhilkr
    8 years ago

Great finding Radha, Thanks for sharing!

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    8 years ago

Hello Radha,

I can relate to the Jasmine flowers. The fragrance it so wonderful. Takes me back to India...Thanks you for posting..

• bunti
    8 years ago

Hi angle face, how to contact you?

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    8 years ago

Hello jasmine growers...

Which of these jasmines will grow in the ground in raleigh nc (7b) ? If it is vine even better. but not important.

• harsha zone5b
    8 years ago

Where can you find Udipi Mallige in US

• angel-face
    8 years ago

Hi fruits and veggies, sorry for replying so late, hadnt seen the question addressed to me. Got it from a nursery called Ratanshi in Mumbai.

• fruits_veggies
    7 years ago

Angel Face, I got a surprise when I saw jasmine blooms in our home in India last month. I planted these 4 jasmine plants almost 17 years back when I was in India after that I rarely saw them bloom. This time I stayed long enough observe these Jasmines and one of the Jasmine flower looks almost same as your Jasmine plant (pictures on your June 19, 2015 posting),

Here are the pictures

Below are pictures of other Jasmines

Not sure of the variety/cultivar name, Flowers from this Jasmine is little different than the flowers from above posted Jasmine and also leaves look different as well.

This seems to be Arabian Jasmine

I think this is Madurai Malli

From Left to Right

1. Not sure of the variety

2. Arabian Jasmine

3. Madurai Malli

4. I think Jasmine flower similar to the one you have

• Manisha A
    7 months ago

Any one have udupi malli in US?