edit post.

This post was edited by radhavall on Sat, May 10, 14 at 17:13

o
RE: Jasmines from India

edit

This post was edited by radhavall on Sat, May 10, 14 at 17:12

o
RE: Jasmines

Sorry for all the confusion. I am trying to post 2 pics and had a mixup.

o

And the posts are upside down. Something with IPAd photo loading. When I rewiewed it they were good. I will try again later. sorry for all this.

o

radha, this is a common problem when uploading from tablets and phones. However, you can edit your posts. And instead of the duplicate one you can just write duplicate. I took the liberty to rotate one of your photos.
Lovely Jasmines btw :-)

o
RE: Jasmines, trying again

Thank you true-blue.
I'll try this again..i guess later.

This post was edited by radhavall on Sat, May 10, 14 at 18:17

o

From Flickr..

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasmine.

o

Beautiful blooms Radha. Thanks for sharing.

Sushmita

o

Radha, do ou know the name of it?

would you mind sharing the fully opened flower photo.

here is another new cultivar thats blooming in my parents garden. (right one).

o

That's beautiful bunti. What's the name of that cultivar? It looks like Belle of India.

o

I will once i have both flowers from India blooming.
Here is the one on flickr.
the middle one my MIL says is Pandiri malli.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasmines

o

It looks like balle of india. but balle of india is having only 2 layers. this flower is having 2-3 layers and bud.

I personally seen this flower last year when i went to india.

o

Here is another pic of the 2 different jasmines...

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasmines

o

Here is another pic.. Left is BOIE, right is the one from India. BOI.. (Pandiri malli)

Here is a link that might be useful: opening flower.

o

Bunti, I have seen the variety similar to flower in your pic(right side) at my in-laws place last time I was there(my mil got a small plant from her friend). It had 4 layers(flower within flower) and the middle most layer stayed as bud. It was bigger than belle of India, very fragrant and was a vine.

Sushmita

o

Here are few new varieties from india

Jasminum Cultivar 1 photo IMG_7854_zps9bbc3848.jpg

Jasminum Cultivar 2 photo IMG_7851_zps4a379f19.jpg

Jasminum Cultivar 3 photo IMG_7847_zps9642c21e.jpg

Jasminum Cultivar 4 (semi grand Duke) photo IMG_7846_zps39775f31.jpg

Jasminum Cultivar 5 photo IMG_7839_zpsa5ebefa7.jpg

o

The buds look beautiful, bunti.

Looking forward to seeing the flowers and a description of the scent :-)

o

very nice. let me know how they bloom out.

o

Here are few jasminum varieties blooming in my yard right now. Can you guess what are all these varieties.

I will update the names tomorrow.

o

OK,

I'll go...Mali chat, Grand duke, Mali pikul, GDS, Belle of India, sambac, mysore mulli, arabian nights..
the only one I can't say is the one with slender petals.

o

Here is it with all the labels.

o

Thank you for posting pics of the different sambac varieties. That was fun. I got an unidentified one from the nursery, now I know for sure that it is mysore mulli.

o

I want to plant one or two jasmines. I'm confused between Mysore mulli, Belle of India and Jasmine Molle (Juhi). I cant keep 3, must choose only 2.... I'm going to plant in a container. Would prefer smaller plant with relatively more flowers. Please help.

o

So there are several variables here. MM and BOI only bloom in summer. Both are slow climbers and can be maintained as small potted plants. J. molle is a more of a climber, but blooms more months than the other 2. Depending on how happy they are, they will bloom well. HTH.

Radha

o

I had thought of planting 1 between MM or BOI (whichever is the better bloomer) and 1 J. Molle so as to get both type of fragrance.... But, space is a constraint. If J. Molle is going to grow too big soon, I will not be able to keep it any more.
That is the problem. I want to know how big n how fast these grow from one who has experience with these plants.. Also, is there any difference between the character of smell of MM and BOI? If yes I can keep those 2 instead!!!!

o

It all depends on your climate. Are you posting from India? If so get MM. or a variety called Madhurai malli. MM we talk in US is different some what. Also the BOI here is different from the one in India. If you can have one, then go for MM variety for now.You can keep J. molle within bounds with careful pruning. Given the right circumstances they are all good growers.. Finally I would recomend you go with BOI and J. molle if you can't get Madhurai malli. The flower market in India is mostly MM type, so if you want a different variety, then it is BOI and J. molle...

o

yes, I'm posting from India. Thanks for the info, it was very useful. I've now ordered a BOI (called as Madan Baan Mogra here) and a supposedly highly fragrant variety called as 'Mallige' (perhaps it is Madurai/ Mysore/ Udupi mallige) from a local seller who gets rare varieties. As for J. molle, it is found commonly with all local nurseries at the onset of monsoon, so i can get it whenever i want. Similarly, Maid of Orleans (Motia), Grand Duke (Batt Mogra) and Angelwing (Chameli) are commonly found varieties. I had given a thought about Grand Duke, but it grows too big and leggy, with relatively lesser flowers. I guess with most plants its lesser the petals, more the flowers!!!!

I hope to gt my BOI and "Mallige" soon. Will post their pics when I get them. I hope they will be in flower already!

o

Hi, my jasmines have arrived... One is BOI (though this one has 'furry stems' typical of Mysore mulli... The other one is Udupi/ Mangluru mallige with its slender yellowish leaves.... Will post pics soon.

o

Beautiful! I want them all! :)

Helen

o

Gorgeous blooms! I adore jasmines! My sambac is blooming quite well and the fragrance...fantastic!

o

Here is my BOI

o

Closer view...

o

I have the same. This is like double balle of india.

o

Angel-face, Beautiful pristine white blooms! Where did you get the plant? I am looking for an online source for this one.

o

Angel-face, flowers are gorgeous but I'd like to know what's the secret for dark green foliage?

This post was edited by misha74 on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 4:35

o

Flowers have 3 levels of petals. Got it from a local nursery in Mumbai, not online.
I thought this variety always has dark green leaves.... Anyways, its a newly bought plant which came with such leaves... I haven't really done anything for that.

o

More pics

o

1 more

o

Wow! That is one amazing jasmine you have there! I can only hope that someday this flower will be available here. Thanks for sharing!
Andrew

o

My Udipi mallige has flowered. Its fragrance is different than BOI or Arabian jasmine, being more intense and with added citrus notes. Could be too strong for some. I liked the fragrance of BOI over mallige, though BOI's is not as strong, it has a better character with more pleasant notes.

o

Here is the plant Udipi mallige

o

Here is my plant with few blooms

o

Flowers are opening for the first time.

o

few more pics

o

in the photo they look like BOI. but in real they are not looking like BOI.

this variety had buds before, but never opened. This is the first time, they are opening.

o

Where did you get yours bunti? That's pretty. :)

o

Such pretty flowers.. What variety is it?

o

Hi guys/girls i am pretty new to growing Jasmines and i was just wondering if this is normal! my jasmine grand duke of tuscany flowers turn almost purple is this just how the flowers are when they go over or is this due to cold? thanks

photo IMAG0350_zps22610e2b.jpg

o

Radha, can u please tell me how big J. molle grows? I wish to buy one for my balcony container garden. Do you have a pic of one grown in container?

o

Fragrant,
I see that on Grand duke all the time.. I do see that even when it is not cold. I am not sure of the reason. I will keep an eye coming blooming season and will let you know..

Angel,
J. Molle is a vine and can grow as much as you will let it. If you want it in a container garden,then you can prune it to keep under 4-5 feet.. it is a beautiful vine and even more fragrant and beautiful flower..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here