Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crown Jewel Gardenia

Posted by xdxdaustin 6A (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 10:13

I was thinking of buying a Crown Jewel Gardenia but I was wondering if any growers have had any past experience with this variety for hardiness's sake? I would like to purchase 3 but I am wondering if Klem's Hardy or Frostproof would be a better choice, or if this is the way to go? I haven't been able to find much on this particular variety so I would like to see what others have to say! I realize this is more so on the northern edge of their range but my front yard has no trees and faces south so it should be alright.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crown Jewel Gardenia

I have these 4 varieties of hardy gardenia's in ground (crown jewel, kleim's hardy, frost proof, heaven scent). So far the best performer is 'crown jewel'. I bought it as 1gallon plant and it grew 2/2ft in 2 years. It survived 2 winters and stayed green and hardly lost any leaves. Kleim's hardy did not perform well but frost proof and heaven scent are also doing well. I prefer crown jewel over other two. I am in zone 7a. Here is the pic of my crown jewel the 1st year. I am looking for another new variety that is 'summer snow' now.

o
RE: Crown Jewel Gardenia

Thanks a lot! I just ordered mine from some nursery named Wild Things Grow. It was pretty cheap too and I was kind of hard pressed to find it online.

This post was edited by xdxdaustin on Sun, May 5, 13 at 10:34

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here