Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mysterious alyssum

Posted by lpinkmountain 5b/6a border PA (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 10:19

My neighbor on the corner has an alyssum bed that smells heavanly whenever I walk by in the evenings. This bed seems to be perennial. I've lived there for years and the plants are always exactly the same and I don't see him bedding them out every year or replanting the garden. (I go by on a daily basis and I know my gardening, I would be able to tell). Me on the other hand, I can't get alyssum to even grow, let alone smell good and last. I buy mine at the nursery. For some odd reason I have never had luck with alyssum.

My question are - are the standard nursery varieties the ones that smell, or do you have to look for special alyssum stock to get fragrance? Any special colors? I know that only the purple nursery petunias smell worth a darn. Is there a perennial fragrant alyssum variety? Should I maybe try to grow these plants from seed, and if so, what is a good source for seeds of the old fashioned, truly fragrant varieties?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mysterious alyssum

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, May 21, 08 at 17:54

There are a bunch of plants called alyssum, the one you're talking about is probably sweet alyssum, aka lobularia maritima. I find it's usually honey-scented, especially in sunshine, but some more so than others, and it's hard to tell if it's the seed source, the growing conditions, or maybe the influence of little plant elves! You could try from seed, but I doubt there are specific varieties for fragrance, it's such a common annual, the only way to be sure is to visit a few nurseries and sniff 'em for yourself.

Jim

o

I'm willing to bet your neighbor is sprinkling seeds in early spring or the plants are self-sowing. Is it used as an edger? The white ones seem to be the most fragrant. They are one of the wonderful plants that seem to thrive on neglect. It seems a little early for them, but it is much colder here, esp. this spring.

o

They're growing in the sun, and are all white. I guess they're self seeding. It's a large mat in a small bed, like a groundcover. Not in bloom yet really, but I notice it a lot later in the summer. I was at the nursery today, and it seems the white ones are the ones that smell. Unlike petunias, where the purple ones are the only smelly ones! I wonder if alyssum can overwinter? I seem to have zero luck with alyssum, but I'm going to try again. I can't understand it, they should be so hardy!
Thanks for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here