Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

pikake

irun5k
12 years ago

Pikake, Sampaguita, or just Jasmine depending on where you hail from...

{{gwi:793418}}

Last year I had a ton of blooms that would burn out/abort prior to opening completely as you see here. I am not sure what made the difference- the plant is a year older, I changed the pot, and I've been hitting it with Spray 'n Grow all season.

I find these plants interesting because the blooms are always slightly different. For example, occasionally I get a super-sized bloom at the very terminal end of a branch.

To those more experienced than I- I'm guessing I have a Duke of Tuscany here?

Aloha!

Comments (9)

• GrnThum
    12 years ago

I can't see your picture but I have a grand duke that I just purchased in the winter. It was basically a single small stem with several leaves, about 6. I repotted it after receiving it and pruned it down to about 3 inches, leaving it bare. It has just started to grow new leaves on 2 tiny shoots that just emerged. It has been rainy all spring here and not too much sun. The past 2 weeks have been hot and sunny and thats what stimulated the new growth.

I will update you on how mine turns out, but I'm guessing it'll probably be about a month before I see any buds or flowers. I hear that this is a slow grower?

Good Luck with your jasmine!

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, bummer. I'll try again.

GrnThum, what zone are you in? I pruned mine back fairly heavily during the winter over the last couple years... probably down to a couple feet just so it doesn't look like a stump in the pot.

They won't bloom on old wood. Here in FL, I get several feet of growth pretty easily over the growing season. Blooming begins in ernest for me June. It gets mostly full sun. I have to water it pretty regularly, I have noticed that it doesn't like to get completely dry.

The blooms are heavenly in both appearance and scent, I hope that you get some soon!

{{gwi:793420}}

• mehitabel
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Flower looks like Grand Duke of Tuscany to me, too. To my knowledge, the Grand Duke has a different leaf structure from other jasmines-- a cluster of three, sometimes four leaves appearing together.

About the too-small blooms last year -- is it possibly it was mites? I'm pretty sure my jasmines had mites last winter. After a cutting back and spraying, they seem to be okay now.

I'm waiting to see what this summer will bring.

• GrnThum
    12 years ago

Wow beautiful flowers on your grand duke! I'm in zone 6b NYC. I hope they grow fast because I can't wait to smell the blooms!

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good thought on the mites. I never thought to check, but that might have explained it.

I think once the heat of summer hits you guys will see some good results. My family has been growing these for a long time and they're pretty hardy. Even when they've gotten frozen out, they can't help but to grow back when summer gets into full swing.

This is easily the most fragrant thing in my yard. More powerful than my plumeria and gardenia, and my gardenia has hundreds of blooms... (obviously it isn't of the more fragrant varieties!)

Good luck, let me know how the summer treats your Dukes!

• flowers_galore
    12 years ago

For me it looks like what they are calling these days as Jasmine Grand duke supreme. I have large Grand duke plants and they bloom well and the flower is slightly different. I am a collector of Jasmines. And I am very interested to know what exactly is your plant. When you decide to prune next time can you please email me and I will send you postage to send me a few cuttings, or will send you cuttings of my own if you prefer. Thanks.

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Radhavall, I will do that. I will probably be pruning over the summer since there are aways branches that grow in the wrong direction and that sort of thing.

Here is a picture of the entire plant. I am not sure why people say that they are scraggly or unsightly. Maybe I am just nuts but I think it is a fairly nice looking plant.

{{gwi:793422}}

• kandhi
    12 years ago

Beautiful big plant. The structure sure looks like grandduke supreme or the plant that me and my friend have which I am thinking is GDS now. I have a baby plant that is 1ft size but my friends looks just like yours. Where did you buy the plant from? I have also noticed the if the bud is at terminal section it tends to be big in size than the once that grow near other plant internode sections. Based on my experience for a year and above with this plant, it is definitely a must have for all fragrant gardners. It grows 3 times faster than regular GD in pots. This assessment is based on climatic conditions in my area, flolida it should be much easy to manage due to tropic kind weather.

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, this plant is from a cutting of a plant my father-in-law has had for many years. He is Filipino so the plant has special significance since it is the national flower of the Philippines. The next time I talk to him I will ask him if he remembers where he got it. It roots fairly easily.

You are right, the terminal end buds can be very large and in general the buds can differ from one another for some reason. Let a couple of flowers float in a small bowl of water and they'll smell up an entire room!

Post a pic when yours gets blooms- it will be interesting to see.