Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olympia_gardener

Summersweet

olympia_gardener
11 years ago

Last night I went to Menard for something else but I discovered that in it garden center 1 gl size Summersweet only for $9.98, 3 gl size only for $19.98. what a deal!. I got a pencil thin cutting "Ruby Spice" from Logge's for $14.99 early this year. I should have waited. I happily bought Summersweet "hummingbird" with lot of flower buds on it. Can't wait to smell the fragrant when they start to bloom, hope soon.

Does anyone know which type of Summersweet has strongest scent? I don't care about the color.

Comments (5)

• User
    11 years ago

I was just researching Summersweet, and would love to hear what the fragrance is like. I've been looking for fragrant flowering shrubs that could be used for cut flowers. I thought maybe this could be one.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Does Aloysia smell anything like Summersweet? Thye look a little similar.

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bellegalli, In your area, you should have far more fragrant choice than I do in zone 5. I don't know how well it can be cut flower, but I do observe that the plant needs a lot of water. I water it almost everyday, still in a hot sunny day, I come homw at night see the flowers drop their head. I think this plant is less drought resistant than most are.

I understanding its fragrant is very waft. It is also called sailor's delight for it can be smelled miles a way. Well, I don't need it to be smelled miles away, just around front and back yard will be sufficient. I have not located anyone I know grow this plant in my area. I am thinking it might be some reasons people don't grow it here.

Both my Ruby Spice(pink flowered ) and Hummingbird(white flowered ) has a lot of flower buds, should be blooming this month. I will report its scents after I smell it. There is another variety called 16 candle which is supposed to grow only 2' tall which will make very nice small fragant bush. I am curiouse how fragrant this one is.

This plant is native to east coast, I would think someone in that area knows this plant well. But I am suprised no has any information to share so far.

• marquest
    11 years ago

I wish we had a Menard. Good Deal.

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Both my "hummingbird" and "ruby spice" is blooming right now. The scent is very similar to lilac to my nose, just less strong than lilac. Can't tell it is wafted or not for it is still in early stage of blooming. Maybe when they are all in full bloom, the scent can be smelled farther away.

The grwoing habit of the Hummingbird is ideal for front yard. It is samll compact enough to be ignored and will be noticed when its time comes. However, it is best grow in somewhere more wet. I notice mine leaves and spikes drop their heads every afternoon wanting more water. This may due to the drought condition we are in too. The leaves seem get sun burn easy too.
    Overall, I am glad that I planted this plant near my front door to add little more scent in the summer.