Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee grounds on gardenia-radicans

Posted by gigim 8A (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 11:08

I have read that you can use coffee grounds on gardenias to improve the acidity. Questions-
Can I just pour the (cooled) grounds from my french press around the drip line?
How often?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee grounds on gardenia-radicans

That's false...a myth. Used coffee grounds are fairly close to neutral...the acidity is in your coffee cup.

That being said, coffee grounds are great when added to compost or mulch or as an amendment when preparing a planting bed when used in small amounts. Coffee has some allelopathic properties....used grounds not so much unless used in large quantities.

So, use the grounds to add organic matter to the soil but not to decrease the pH.

o
RE: Coffee grounds on gardenia-radicans

If you're talking about an outside shrub in the ground, I think you'd get more mileage out of a few banana peels, buried just under the surface near the trunk. What's making you think you should acidify your soil?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here